Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

I'm not sure which since I don't like to spoil anything, but apparently you can either be trans or there's a trans character somewhere in the game, which has made the Steam forum discussions go from "Haha I'm gonna play this to make the woke lefties mad" and "Don't play this it supports a transphobe piece of shit" to "Haha you bought a game with trans people in it" and "Another game ruined by the woke agenda" my head is spinning at the whiplash.

In any case, I have no respect for people who do things out of spite and spite only, or rather, those that make doing things out of spite their entire personality or lifestyle. You know, like voting based on who it can hurt the most, or buying something to try and make someone else mad, it's just a weak ass way to live and a complete waste of your own life and you basically defer to doing the opposite of others instead of what you actually want. I mean, you're free to do that, I just think it makes you a little bitch.

40 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Should I not vote for the democratic candidate for governor or president in Nebraska because pragmatically it doesn't matter? 

You shouldn’t vote for them thinking it matters :p 

42 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

And again I reject this notion that "bad people get paid no matter what" as a good reason to not care if bad people get paid. 

Again, that is not my position. I’ll state it AGAIN: I do not care if the money in my pocket ends up in the pocket of some bad person, not in the sense that it is unavoidable (though it is), but because it is irrelevant to me who provides the goods or services I want. The only thing that matters to me is that the goods and services are provided in a way that is consistent with my ethics, because that is what I am explicitly condoning through my purchases. 

The only difference between knowing explicitly that you’re buying something from a bad person and implicitly so is the mental gymnastics one performs to make themselves feel better about it.

9 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm not sure which since I don't like to spoil anything, but apparently you can either be trans or there's a trans character somewhere in the game, which has made the Steam forum discussions go from "Haha I'm gonna play this to make the woke lefties mad" and "Don't play this it supports a transphobe piece of shit" to "Haha you bought a game with trans people in it" and "Another game ruined by the woke agenda" my head is spinning at the whiplash.

In any case, I have no respect for people who do things out of spite and spite only, or rather, those that make doing things out of spite their entire personality or lifestyle. You know, like voting based on who it can hurt the most, or buying something to try and make someone else mad, it's just a weak ass way to live and a complete waste of your own life and you basically defer to doing the opposite of others instead of what you actually want. I mean, you're free to do that, I just think it makes you a little bitch.

The person you are describing used to post here, his name started with an L & ended with an ucian

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

This makes the literal blood libel plot even worse if there's a trans person in the game. :lol:

1 hour ago, Jason said:

This makes the literal blood libel plot even worse if there's a trans person in the game. :lol:

I believe there is...

sirona-4-1675457567998.jpg?width=1280
WWW.IGN.COM

Adding a new wrinkle to the ongoing debate over the upcoming Hogwarts Legacy, IGN has learned that a transgender woman features prominently in an early mission.

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

There's probably not many of these people in the grand scheme of things.  Just a very vocal minority.  As with the sort that wanted to see this game get a muted reception.

Best case scenario, they cancel each other out, and the game sells based on its own merits.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It hurts the publishers which is fine!

People like to say they want to support the developers but the developers got paid already. It's not like they work for free until the game gets released.

We also want sequels!

wand go BRRRRR! The game is, so far, incredibly fun!

2 hours ago, Dodger said:

Does JKR get royalties from this game or is it something that they paid for the rights to HP and she already got paid?  Because if it’s the latter not buying this game isn’t doing anything. 

Of course she does. Its her IP, and apparently her contracts are the best of the best (because its one of the biggest IP in the world and everyone wants to license it for something). 

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm not sure which since I don't like to spoil anything, but apparently you can either be trans or there's a trans character somewhere in the game, which has made the Steam forum discussions go from "Haha I'm gonna play this to make the woke lefties mad" and "Don't play this it supports a transphobe piece of shit" to "Haha you bought a game with trans people in it" and "Another game ruined by the woke agenda" my head is spinning at the whiplash..

I just went through the character creator, and thought it was interesting that you could choose any combination of face, hair, voice, etc. and then at the very end choose witch or wizard.

Played about an hour, stopped before going to my first class. I’m trying to imagine how someone new to the franchise would see this game, and I think it makes a fine first impression. But there’s also stuff they won’t get, like why I started laughing when the headmaster was revealed. 

• Thanks 1

Lol @ BloodyHell reviewing the game like this is OG Twitter. 

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It hurts the publishers which is fine!

People like to say they want to support the developers but the developers got paid already. It's not like they work for free until the game gets released.

Depends. Some bonus structures are tied to various metrics, like sales, and pay might be structured in a way where with bonuses individual developers may be making above average, but without may not be. Who’s to say. That kind of thing is not always shared well. 

though even if it was the case, the game was always gonna sell well, and it’s not like sales projections are being set by Square Enix where the game needs to sell 50 million units. So they’d still bonus if that was the arrangement. 

9 hours ago, sblfilms said:

The only thing that matters to me is that the goods and services are provided in a way that is consistent with my ethics, because that is what I am explicitly condoning through my purchases. 

In most cases I don’t know how you can possibly know this in much detail. 

14 hours ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

I'm not woke, why am I supposed to hate this game? 

jk-rowling-signature.jpg
WWW.JKROWLING.COM

Warning: The below content is not appropriate for children. Please check with an adult before you read this page. To go back to the children’s page, please click here. This isn’t an easy piece to write, for reasons that will shortly become clear, but I know it’s time to explain myself on an issue surrounded […]

She wrote this in 2020, and has expressed opinions consistent with this on social media.  

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Lol @ BloodyHell reviewing the game like this is OG Twitter. 

Depends. Some bonus structures are tied to various metrics, like sales, and pay might be structured in a way where with bonuses individual developers may be making above average, but without may not be. Who’s to say. That kind of thing is not always shared well. 

though even if it was the case, the game was always gonna sell well, and it’s not like sales projections are being set by Square Enix where the game needs to sell 50 million units. So they’d still bonus if that was the arrangement. 

Eh, I had played a small amount and didn’t have anything to tell him except the world is stunning and the game is fun.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

I wish I was rich enough to say whatever I wanted and get away with it.

There are much better options today to express unpopular beliefs as a poor nobody than as a rich celebrity.

It's much simpler to go against the grain if no one knows or cares about you.  For better and worse.