Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

I ain’t waking up at 3am but I’m pretty excited to try it out this weekend! I’m going to try to just do the opening and then play Dead Space mostly to beat that first but we will see.

I'm off and going to bed early. I'd definitely beat Dead Space because that is fuckin awesome.

• True 1

I’m at about 10 hours in at this point, I consider the extra I paid for early access to be officially worth it now. :p

Spent a while just flying around the (much bigger than I expected) open world. I was ostensibly completing an assignment for the flying teacher, but kept getting distracted by various points of interest. :daydream:

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

Wish I could join in the fun. Bought the deluxe version so I could get early access and my body had different plans. Been hospitalized since Tuesday with severe abdominal pains. Spending my days getting MRI’s, blood tests, CT Scans, biopsies, etc. I did get to play a couple hours Tuesday morning before having to go to Hospital. And I really had no complaints so far. I feel like it was just about to open up and let me go!

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 5

27 minutes ago, nublood said:

Wish I could join in the fun. Bought the deluxe version so I could get early access and my body had different plans. Been hospitalized since Tuesday with severe abdominal pains. Spending my days getting MRI’s, blood tests, CT Scans, biopsies, etc. I did get to play a couple hours Tuesday morning before having to go to Hospital. And I really had no complaints so far. I feel like it was just about to open up and let me go!

Hope everything comes out okay and that you can go back to Hogwarts soon!

1 hour ago, nublood said:

Hang in there bud and keep us posted. 

2 hours ago, Ominous said:

How's it running for PC folks?

So far, kind of bad. I have a 3080ti and can't run raytracing at all. Raytracing puts my FPS down to ~15. It still looks really good with DLSS, but I have to keep almost all settings on high, and I spent way too much money on this fucking graphics machine to run things on "high," goddammit.

Supposedly there's a patch coming out tonight/tomorrow that fixes a lot of PC performance issues. We'll see how that goes.

I'm still having a blast with the game. I played over 24 hours on my weekend.:blush:

I will say again, now having about 25 hours in the game so far, it's NOT an RPG. No matter what they say. Unless you also count Horizon Zero Dawn as an RPG, then it might be (though HZD had a much more in-depth skill tree/customizable gameplay). There is a very limited skill tree that doesn't honestly affect the game all that much, and as far as I can tell, your choices do not matter, ever. At least beyond a line of dialogue or whatever. The developers I guess didn't want to gatekeep gameplay elements behind choices, so they made the whole game playable regardless of what you do.

Saw on Twitter:

1 of the 'goblin artifacts' you can find in That Wizard Game is literally just a shofar, a Jewish musical instrument, described as being 'used to annoy witches and wizards'.

In it's description is the year 1612, which was when the Fettmilch uprising took place. 

Learning that they wrote 'stuffed with gorgonzola to silence it' about the horn, and finding out that gorgonzola specifically is not a kosher cheese...

when they could have just written 'stuffed with cheese' for the Haha Funney Points

really says a lot

someone had to think.

the lead developer (up until this information became public)Troy Leavitt is an alt-right gamergater who ran an antisemitic and anti-feminist youtuber.

WB promised that none of his views would affect the game.

Even after he was taken off the team, the lead writer-Moira Squier, lead producer James Cabrera, and director Alan Tew did not do their due dilligence to make sure Troy's views wouldn't make it into the game. Everyone on the decision making board of that dev team either did this on purpose, endorsed it, or just didn't care.

4 minutes ago, Brick said:

Saw on Twitter:

First off, I googled the tweet, that's not even based on a screencap of the game. An actual screencap of the menu looks like this:

?imw=512&imh=288&ima=fit&impolicy=Letter
STEAMCOMMUNITY.COM

Steam Community: Hogwarts Legacy.

Or like this, if you're in a submenu

?imw=512&imh=288&ima=fit&impolicy=Letter
STEAMCOMMUNITY.COM

Steam Community: Hogwarts Legacy.

Like, the "screenshot" they're referencing is not an actual part of the game, unless it's from some really old build. Maybe it still is, I don't know, but I haven't seen it.

For reference, the tweets seem to be using this "screenshot" as reference:

FoflbK_WcAISJIq?format=jpg&name=900x900

As you can see, if it was from the game at some point, it was clearly from some alpha build or something.

I'm not going to say that that ISN'T in the game. I mean, I don't know, I can't exactly prove a negative, but it clearly is something that is gettin reposted by a whole lot of people who haven't actually seen the game, let alone played it.

Or I find it weird that it isn't an actual screenshot, but a screenshot taken from a phone that conveniently hides the part that would actually let people fact check whether or not this is in the game if they played it (they're basically only showing the right half of the screen)

6 hours ago, Brick said:

Saw on Twitter:

Using 10 minutes of google to debunk (from someone who is largely unschooled in anti-Semitism and Harry Potter):

1)  The goblin uprising of 1612 was in Prisoner of Azkaban.  And involved Goblins having an uprising

2)  The Fettmilch uprising was a group who stormed the Judengasse in August 1614 and attacked Jews.

3)  Cheese is kosher if is made with rabbinical supervision, and doesn't use rennet.  Most places in the US/UK use artificial rennet that can be Kosher.  Many European cheeses are made without rabbinical supervision, and using natural rennet (so aren't Kosher).  Gorgonzola is an Italian cheese, so most probably isn't Kosher.  But neither is most cheese.  I've never seen that Gorgonzola being particularly associated with Jews in a positive or negative way.

Could this be a hugely antisemitic item?  Maybe, but I still think that is a stretch.

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I mean… don’t goblins own the banks and control money in the Harry Potter universe? Is there really a denial of who they’re a stand-in for whether on purpose or simply through deep rooted unconscious stereotypes?

They not only own the banks, they have a somewhat miserly code of ethics to boot. 

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I mean… don’t goblins own the banks and control money in the Harry Potter universe? Is there really a denial of who they’re a stand-in for whether on purpose or simply through deep rooted unconscious stereotypes?

The real anti-Semites are obviously the ones connecting these coincidental in-lore features of the goblins and supposed stereotypes about Jews :]

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

They not only own the banks, they have a somewhat miserly code of ethics to boot. 

I mean ... do you really expect bankers to be generous, fantasy world or no?

19 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yes, Jews are the real anti-semites.

If you listen to the responses that people like Norman Finkelstein (and even Noam Chomsky) get, that's apparently a popular sentiment. Or, come to think of it, Ben Shapiro for that matter :lol:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, nublood said:

You got this bro 👊 

• Halal 1