Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, The Dude said:

Not really a HP fan at all but couldn't resist buying this, about halfway thru but got sidetracked... Planning to get back soon for the plat but everything is top notch in this game, combat, spells, exploration.

Yea, it's a great game. The sequel is gunna be nice!

On 1/9/2024 at 1:03 PM, stepee said:

I’m not super familiar with HP are there a lot of towns and cities they could build out to expand the open world? Pretty much what I’m familiar with is already in the game. I’m curious where they go from here. Main mission variety and more exciting set pieces/locations outside of the open world is what could use improvement the most anyway I guess.

I would be more interested in seeing the other schools outside of Hogwarts:

Beauxbatons Academy of Magic - Pyrenees, France

Castelobruxo - Amazon rainforest

Durmstrang Institute - Scandinavia

Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry - Mount Greylock in the US

Koldovstoretz - Russia

Mahoutokoro - Japan

Uagadou - Uganda

5 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

The game is pretty outstanding. It’s a shame it got completely ignored during awards(for whatever the fuck they’re worth anyway)

to be fair - gameplay-wise, it's not very deep. I couldn't in good conscience recommend it for GOTY compared to something like Baldur's Gate 3. The game claims to be an RPG, but it really isn't. You don't have much agency over anything. Even which house you choose in the beginning or whether you use the unforgivable curses barely ever matters.

That being said, the way they brought Hogwarts to life is nothing short of spectacular. The game is worth playing just for that alone if you've ever been a fan of Harry Potter, and it's still a pretty good game on top of that if you haven't. I've been considering giving it a replay recently.

• True 1

8 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

The game is pretty outstanding. It’s a shame it got completely ignored during awards(for whatever the fuck they’re worth anyway)

The game is good and fun, but I don’t think it did anything really unique or better than other games, especially considering the competition this year, to be considered for a GOTY candidate. 

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Who said anything about GotY? It was largely absent from every category on most people’s lists. 

If gaming awards had the equivalent of the "best costume" category from the Oscars, I would definitely nominate Hogwarts Legacy.

12 minutes ago, johnny said:

there’s no way video game people (excluding the right wing trolls) would vote for hogwarts for anything. theyll get harassed by the internet over the jk stuff. 

that resetera ban is the most performative fucking thing i’ve ever witnessed 

On 2/4/2024 at 4:59 AM, Fizzzzle said:

to be fair - gameplay-wise, it's not very deep. I couldn't in good conscience recommend it for GOTY compared to something like Baldur's Gate 3. The game claims to be an RPG, but it really isn't. You don't have much agency over anything. Even which house you choose in the beginning or whether you use the unforgivable curses barely ever matters.

That being said, the way they brought Hogwarts to life is nothing short of spectacular. The game is worth playing just for that alone if you've ever been a fan of Harry Potter, and it's still a pretty good game on top of that if you haven't. I've been considering giving it a replay recently.

The one thing it did REALLY well was the world building around Hogwart's.  Everything else was either OK or good for an open world game.

The first 5-10 hours were magical for me, the rest...  Wasn't.

IMHO, shouldn't have been a contender for GOTY.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The one thing it did REALLY well was the world building around Hogwart's.  Everything else was either OK or good for an open world game.

I can agree with this. 

14 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

This sounds right.