Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Wait there's transphobic stuff in the Harry Potter lore??? Also that's sad to hear about her bullshit ruining your childhood love of the books. I'm a firm believer that you can separate the art from the artist as long as they don't infuse the work itself with their problematic bullshit. I get that it would leave a sour taste on your mouth. It would be like me discovering Stan Lee was a Klan member.

I fully agree with enjoying art, and separating art from the artist.

My issue is: If in order to enjoy that art, I have to pay money, and a portion of that money then goes to the artist, then there isn't a great way to separate it.

That said, this is just what I'm choosing to do. I don't hold any ill will towards anyone that wants to enjoy this game.

I just think people use the "separate the art from the artist" line far too often when the artist is still getting paid.

• Halal 3

14 minutes ago, AshsToAshs said:

My issue is: If in order to enjoy that art, I have to pay money, and a portion of that money then goes to the artist, then there isn't a great way to separate it.

There is no good way to avoid money going to people you find contemptible in a society. Spend however you wish, but it is an illusion that you aren't putting money into the pockets of detestable people when you generally spend money in the market. It simply isn't possible to avoid doing so, but it makes some people feel better to explicitly avoid certain people in the market. Our brains are weird that way.

Whatever I feel about JK Rowling can't take away my love for Harry Potter. And I'm not going to not play a game because J.K. Rowling gets money from it. She may have some shitty views, but buying a copy of a game hat she gets a small percentage of isn't the same as supporting Kim Jong Un or something. The entertainment industry is absolutely riddled with horrible people, and almost everything we consume supports them in one way or another.

but I also understand why people wouldn't want to support it.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

Good pull on Darksiders @Bacon

I got one of those games thinking I was in for a quality zelda clone and I stopped playing it after an hour or so, pretty disappointed. It was nothing like Zelda. 

I bet they’re good games, too, it was just like expecting you’re about to drink milk and it’s actually Diet Coke. Shocks the system. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

19 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Nah, Cyberpunk maxed at 4k with no DLSS gets lower fps on a 4090 (and with a more modern cpu) :p 

I had to run it through in my head but yes I remembered I was thinking of native but with FG lol but ya it’s still a heavy game 

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

There is no good way to avoid money going to people you find contemptible in a society. Spend however you wish, but it is an illusion that you aren't putting money into the pockets of detestable people when you generally spend money in the market. It simply isn't possible to avoid doing so, but it makes some people feel better to explicitly avoid certain people in the market. Our brains are weird that way.

This is why I’m trying to recommend to people to donate to a cause that will put a bigger positive impact into the world than the cents into JK’s wallet will take from it.

I think it’s a decent moral compromise and I get my wizard school

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I got one of those games thinking I was in for a quality zelda clone and I stopped playing it after an hour or so, pretty disappointed. It was nothing like Zelda. 

I bet they’re good games, too, it was just like expecting you’re about to drink milk and it’s actually Diet Coke. Shocks the system. 

I had the same problem and I've never gone back to the game. I was expecting an edgier Zelda, but instead it plays far more like Devil May Cry or God of Wa, which I wasn't in the mood for. I haven't ever gone back to the game.

Just now, stepee said:

This is why I’m trying to recommend to people to donate to a cause that will put a bigger positive impact into the world than the cents into JK’s wallet will take from it.

I think this is actually an interesting concept, and I will ponder it further. Please also subscribe me to your newsletter

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Sure. I wasn't trying to argue that we all need to be making sure our money always goes towards "good" people. 

My issue was more that whenever I, or anyone, brings up that I don't wanna buy this game, people often say "separate art from the artist".

And that in cases where a person doesn't want to support that artist, it's perfectly acceptable to not buy that art.

I'm fully aware that this game is still gonna sell like hotcakes, and that my lack of a purchase will be imperceivable.

But hell, how many times have gamers used the phrase "vote with your wallet"? That's basically all I'm doing. 

Just now, AshsToAshs said:

Sure. I wasn't trying to argue that we all need to be making sure our money always goes towards "good" people. 

My issue was more that whenever I, or anyone, brings up that I don't wanna buy this game, people often say "separate art from the artist".

And that in cases where a person doesn't want to support that artist, it's perfectly acceptable to not buy that art.

I'm fully aware that this game is still gonna sell like hotcakes, and that my lack of a purchase will be imperceivable.

But hell, how many times have gamers used the phrase "vote with your wallet"? That's basically all I'm doing. 

To be clear, I was directing my art from artist comment at you or anyone else. I was just expressing how I myself view these things. You're free to do with your money as you will.

18 minutes ago, AshsToAshs said:

You are free to spend on whatever you wish :p I was commenting more generally about why it is difficult, or more precisely, impossible to avoid bad people ending up with money we spend.

That is why I personally just choose to spend money on things that I believe are made in ways consistent with my ethics.

I mean, I could easily argue being an American taxpayer is substantially worse than buying content that in some way financially supports a bad person.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Eh I think this line of thinking lets people off the hook. Sure it may be impossible to prevent money from reaching bad peoples’ pockets but throwing your hands up on the air and saying there’s nothing you can do about is the easy way out. 

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

I had the same problem and I've never gone back to the game. I was expecting an edgier Zelda, but instead it plays far more like Devil May Cry or God of Wa, which I wasn't in the mood for. I haven't ever gone back to the game.

It is sufficiently Zelda enough in dungeons.  Just mixed with character action combat, as advertised.

But I really dislike the whole edgy vibe of it. it felt even more cringe than PoP Warrior Within to me.

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Eh I think this line of thinking lets people off the hook. Sure it may be impossible to prevent money from reaching bad peoples’ pockets but throwing your hands up on the air and saying there’s nothing you can do about is the easy way out. 

Except that isn’t my position at all to “throw your hands up” because of the impossibility. To be exceptionally clear: I don’t care if bad people get paid as a result of the products or services I purchase, I only care whether the things I purchase are created in ways I find in line with my ethics and morals.

It just happens that it is also an impossibility to prevent the dollars you spend from

ending up in the pockets of people you find repugnant, so doing things like @stepee’s offset strategy, while a bit like buying indulgences, probably nets a better result that wringing your hands over whether it’s OK to “support” the bad person.

21 minutes ago, stepee said:

I couldn’t get into the other Darksiders but I really enjoyed 3 and would like a follow up. I guess the problem is story wise isn’t like the first one the sequel to both the sequel and the third one?

Kinda/sorta - this article explains the timeline:

darksiders-timeline.jpg
GAMERANT.COM

The Darksiders series has four games in total that all have an interconnected timeline centered on following each of the four horsemen.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Except that isn’t my position at all to “throw your hands up” because of the impossibility. To be exceptionally clear: I don’t care if bad people get paid as a result of the products or services I purchase, I only care whether the things I purchase are created in ways I find in line with my ethics and morals.

It just happens that it is also an impossibility to prevent the dollars you spend from

ending up in the pockets of people you find repugnant, so doing things like @stepee’s offset strategy, while a bit like buying indulgences, probably nets a better result that wringing your hands over whether it’s OK to “support” the bad person.

They're not mutually exclusive. Should I not vote for the democratic candidate for governor or president in Nebraska because pragmatically it doesn't matter? 

I can donate to causes I find just and that will have more of a local effect, and I can also cast my vote, whether it be with my wallet or a literal vote, in line with my values. It may not change an outright outcome, but I really don't care for the way you phrased it of "our brains are weird like that." It has some effect. And again I reject this notion that "bad people get paid no matter what" as a good reason to not care if bad people get paid. 

I am not really speaking to this game in particular.