Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

One thing I'll say is that the game is only, like, kind of an RPG, even though they use that term in the marketing. Your choices in the story don't really seem to actually affect anything, and the skill tree is very, very light. Basically, if you don't think Assassin's Creed: Origins is an RPG, then neither is this game. 

Still fun as fuck, though. Just saying I don't imagine you'll get a whole lot from doing multiple playthroughs or anything. Maybe you could try one where you do a whole playthrough where you put all your points in stealth or something, but even then it's a stretch.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

One thing I'll say is that the game is only, like, kind of an RPG, even though they use that term in the marketing. Your choices in the story don't really seem to actually affect anything, and the skill tree is very, very light. Basically, if you don't think Assassin's Creed: Origins is an RPG, then neither is this game. 

Still fun as fuck, though. Just saying I don't imagine you'll get a whole lot from doing multiple playthroughs or anything. Maybe you could try one where you do a whole playthrough where you put all your points in stealth or something, but even then it's a stretch.

Apparently side quests affect the story, so we’ll see.

1 minute ago, BloodyHell said:

Apparently side quests affect the story, so we’ll see.

Yeah, but from my experience so far, I think it's more of likely the ending is effected by whether or not you DID the sidequests, not necessarily what choices you made during them.

So on PC, safe to say the game is pretty poorly optimized. I've seen some people have some memory leak issues, which I personally haven't dealt with, but they seem to be a thing. I have a 3080ti and the game absolutely will not run with raytracing on if I'm playing in 4k (not that I personally care that much about it, I just have DLSS on and I think it looks great). 

But yeah, even if you have a 4090, you're still going to struggle to run this game at ultra settings. It's a chunker. I'm personally playing with no raytracing, quality-DLSS at 4k, most settings at high or ultra (fog causes the game to chug), and I'd say the lowest FPS I ever get is ~45. And that's only with the really foggy parts.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

So on PC, safe to say the game is pretty poorly optimized. I've seen some people have some memory leak issues, which I personally haven't dealt with, but they seem to be a thing. I have a 3080ti and the game absolutely will not run with raytracing on if I'm playing in 4k (not that I personally care that much about it, I just have DLSS on and I think it looks great). 

But yeah, even if you have a 4090, you're still going to struggle to run this game at ultra settings. It's a chunker. I'm personally playing with no raytracing, quality-DLSS at 4k, most settings at high or ultra (fog causes the game to chug), and I'd say the lowest FPS I ever get is ~45. And that's only with the really foggy parts.

Theres a patch coming tomorrow to for those problems, apparently . I have no idea why they didn’t release it day 1.

8 minutes ago, Biggie said:

real picture of @best3444 waiting for this to unlock 

Excited Ultimate Warrior GIF by WWE                                 

I have it downloaded. What if I wanted to play today after already paying $70 for the release tomorrow? Is it possible to pay the extra $10 to get access to it today?

And yes, that gif is accurate.  🤣 

@Spork3245 @stepee

Alright, had a chance to tinker last night.

Drivers were all updated, no issues there. However, what I didn't know was that you need to use gsync with frame gen, at least I assume so. I've never used gsync on my TV before, so I didn't have anything turned on. Turned it on in Nvidia control panel and on my TV, and tearing/stuttering went away. Game is definitely poorly optimized on PC, but at least I can brute force decent performance with DLSS3. :p

Thanks guys!

• Like 1
  • Halal 2
  • Sicko Sherman 1

20 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I don't share my library. 

You give other people access to your Steam account -- brave.

I setup the rest of my household with Steam accounts -- and shared the Steam libraries between all accounts that get automatically logged-into when they log on windows.  Everyone has their own saves, never any hassle.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You give other people access to your Steam account -- brave.

I setup the rest of my household with Steam accounts -- and shared the Steam libraries between all accounts that get automatically logged-into when they log on windows.  Everyone has their own saves, never any hassle.

I only keep one windows log-in, so this isn't really a solution for me.

27 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I have it downloaded. What if I wanted to play today after already paying $70 for the release tomorrow? Is it possible to pay the extra $10 to get access to it today?

And yes, that gif is accurate.  🤣 

Sorry for being a pest, but does anyone know the answer to this?

16 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

Can you ask for a refund and then purchase the Deluxe edition? They're separate SKUs on Steam, and there's no $10 upgrade path from the standard edition.

Not sure. I'll just be patient and play it tomorrow. I have Resident Evil 2 to play anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Decision time. Do I want to download this or not? I’m so on the fence. Somebody nudge me. 

I would head over to metacritic and read reviews. The consensus is that even if you know nothing about HP it's still a fantastic fantasy rpg. I see no reason why you wouldn't like it.