Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

I'm just not concerned about everything that is being said in here. I want to play the game. I don't give two shits about the other drama being mentioned. I know nothing about Harry Potter or the creator and I'd like to keep it that way. I'm buying and playing this fantastic game. 

21 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I wonder if someone who doesn't give two shits about Harry Potter would enjoy this or do you have to be all into the world of HP to really appreciate it. 

Read the reviews. They say non Harry Potter fans will definitely find a lot to like in this. That's what's got me excited. 

15 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

So is the deluxe edition worth the extra $10 outside of the early release date? I might be able to put a few hours in before the 10th, but I'm really not going to be able to put too much time in until the official release date.

The Hogwarts Legacy Digital Deluxe Edition Includes:
-Thestral Mount
-Dark Arts Battle Arena
-Dark Arts Cosmetic Set
-Dark Arts Garrison Hat
-72 Hours Early Access

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

That's how I felt when that Game of Thrones RPG came out in 2013. Was it a good game? Not particularly, but I played the shit out of it nonetheless.

So did I my friend... so did I :mhug:

48 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I wonder if someone who doesn't give two shits about Harry Potter would enjoy this or do you have to be all into the world of HP to really appreciate it. 

You'll find out after I play it. I know next to nothing about Harry Potter except for the basics of the lore and have never read any of the books or seen any of the movies. I'm intrigued by this game though and I'm willling to try it as my intro to the world.

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@Dodger Are you Hugglesnatch or Griffinclaw?

Hugglesnatch sounds intriguing. I'm getting close to saying fuck it and getting it but I'll try to wait to see what Skillz thinks since I am afraid I just won't care about the world at all. Like I tried to watch one of the movies once and made it like 20 minutes before I couldn't take it anymore.  

3 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Hugglesnatch sounds intriguing. I'm getting close to saying fuck it and getting it but I'll try to wait to see what Skillz thinks since I am afraid I just won't care about the world at all. Like I tried to watch one of the movies once and made it like 20 minutes before I couldn't take it anymore.  

I'm getting the deluxe version so I'll be playing tomorrow night. Just trying to decide which platform I'm getting it for, Xbox or Playstation.

• Halal 1

I guess there was so much concern about how the game would handle playing as an evil wizard that I was under the impression that this game had some kind of morality system in it, but that doesn't appear to be the case according to the GamesRadar review.

Hogwarts Legacy doesn't contemplate your morality within the wizarding world. Everything I know about the Harry Potter franchise made me feel inclined to err on the side of caution, especially as talent trees let you dabble in the sort of magic that would get you thrown out of Hogwarts and into Azkaban; I didn't want a little dalliance with the Dark Arts to impact my candidacy for Hufflepuff Prefect. But Hogwarts Legacy doesn't really care what you do, or who you do it to. It's constantly presenting the illusion of choice, but never goes so far as to introduce any consequence. It isn't that the game is missing some kind of morality system, it's that the lack of any reasonable reaction to your actions further erodes any essence of role-playing.

I think that's probably all for the best. In most cases having the game more or less ignore the morality of your actions is probably better than actively confronting it and building questionable game systems around it.

• Halal 1

26 minutes ago, stepee said:

@Dodger what if I told you that you can play as a character class that is in charge of managing all the dorm rooms on the hogwarts campus!

Now I’m imagining one of those chore simulators like Stardew Valley or whatever, but you’re a house elf at Hogwarts. That would probably be a hit tbh. 

• True 1

5 minutes ago, stepee said:
Hogwarts-Legacy-feature.jpg
WWW.DSOGAMING.COM

Warner Bros has provided us with a review code for Hogwarts Legacy so we've decided to share the ten first minutes from its PC version.

@Mr.Vic20 @Spork3245 @AbsolutSurgen @Xbob42

Dlss3 baby.

Nice to see that DLSS3 is putting in some work. The initial impressions seem to indicate there are some performance issues on consoles, but this makes me feel more comfortable with the PC version.

2 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Nice to see that DLSS3 is putting in some work. The initial impressions seem to indicate there are some performance issues on consoles, but this makes me feel more comfortable with the PC version.

It’s definitely pushing a lot, 47fps average native before any dlss on a 4090 is still heavier than Cyberpunk maxed out and puts it at the top of the most demanding games. But at least they did the right thing and got dlss3 in. I wouldn’t be surprised if that 47fps is due to cpu though, so a 4090 might not matter as much here. 

This is on a 9900k so I bet it’s just like other recent current gen games with ray tracing. So  if you have a 3080 or something and a better cpu then you might be good as well, or just, turn off ray tracing. This is just a guess though. 

But also if it’s cpu bound like I’m thinking since this is a 9900k, that means @Mr.Vic20 will just lock 120’ :P

• True 1

14 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I guess there was so much concern about how the game would handle playing as an evil wizard that I was under the impression that this game had some kind of morality system in it, but that doesn't appear to be the case according to the GamesRadar review.

I think that's probably all for the best. In most cases having the game more or less ignore the morality of your actions is probably better than actively confronting it and building questionable game systems around it.

There’s something really funny about the prospect of just being evil as hell and having the game treat you as a YA protagonist. I want to see a pumped up kicks music video to the protagonist just abra kadabraing the hell out of fellow students who like, bullied someone on the quidditch course or something. 

Commit a few war crimes on the way to herbology.

43 minutes ago, stepee said:
Hogwarts-Legacy-feature.jpg
WWW.DSOGAMING.COM

Warner Bros has provided us with a review code for Hogwarts Legacy so we've decided to share the ten first minutes from its PC version.

@Mr.Vic20 @Spork3245 @AbsolutSurgen @Xbob42

Dlss3 baby.

You lucky son of a bitch. That will be glorious to see!

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The Hogwarts Legacy Digital Deluxe Edition Includes:
-Thestral Mount
-Dark Arts Battle Arena
-Dark Arts Cosmetic Set
-Dark Arts Garrison Hat
-72 Hours Early Access

Yeah I know, but I have no idea if any of that stuff is worth it or not. Like can you get them in the game or is it only paid content or even only pre-order content?

Only thing making me interested in this is that I just haven't seen a bad word about this outside of the JKR stuff. Like every preview I've seen was glowing, reviews are good. Haven't seen anyone play the game and say this game sucks and I only hesitate to buy it day 1 because there is a chance I just don't at all give a shit about HP, even in a video game. 

3 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Only thing making me interested in this is that I just haven't seen a bad word about this outside of the JKR stuff. Like every preview I've seen was glowing, reviews are good. Haven't seen anyone play the game and say this game sucks and I only hesitate to buy it day 1 because there is a chance I just don't at all give a shit about HP, even in a video game. 

I don't give a shit about Harry Potter but I like to play good games. This is a good game therfore I'm buying it. It's right up my alley in terms of gameplay and style. 

Fuck JKR.