Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

The basics of the blood libel isn’t something that originated with bigots against Jewish people, and it didn’t end there either. The notion that “the others are coming for your children” is at least as old as recorded history. People reading their biases into it here :p 

19 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The basics of the blood libel isn’t something that originated with bigots against Jewish people, and it didn’t end there either. The notion that “the others are coming for your children” is at least as old as recorded history. People reading their biases into it here :p 

There are enough touchpoints with the specifics of the blood libel itself that I simply refuse to view it as anything other than a developer being familiar with the details and thinking that it would make a "pretty cool" plot device for the narrative despite more than likely having no overtly anti-Semitic intent in its usage.

12 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

There are enough touchpoints with the specifics of the blood libel itself that I simply refuse to view it as anything other than a developer being familiar with the details and thinking that it would make a "pretty cool" plot device for the narrative despite more than likely having no overtly anti-Semitic intent in its usage whatsoever.

It is super generic folklore stuff. Just about the most generic concept of children being snatched up for nefarious magical purposes. There really isn’t anything about it that is particularly Jewish blood libel-y, unless there is something I am missing…and after seeing videos and reading a half dozen articles, I don’t think I am.

The power of suggestion is real, and your pumps got primed to believe it could only be intentionally an allusion to the blood libel.

5 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with this game. It looks so boring to me. 

I actually feel the same. Game looks super OK. I’m surprised by how much excitement there is for it.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

It is super generic folklore stuff. Just about the most generic concept of children being snatched up for nefarious magical purposes. There really isn’t anything about it that is particularly Jewish blood libel-y, unless there is something I am missing…and after seeing videos and reading a half dozen articles, I don’t think I am.

The power of suggestion is real, and your pumps got primed to believe it could only be intentionally an allusion to the blood libel.

I think folks would be more willing to overlook this as being "just generic folklore stuff" if it wasn't for the fact that JK Rowling is an overt transphobe so she MUST be anti semetic as well (is the assumption). Someone more in the know than me can let me know, but does she have a history of being anti-semetic as well as being a TERF? Also how involved with this game was she? My guess is not at all?

That said, I don't think we can always give these comapanies and devs the benefit of the doubt when it comes to this stuff and just write it off as "pure coincidence."

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think folks would be more willing to overlook this as being "just generic folklore stuff" if it wasn't for the fact that JK Rowling is an overt transphobe so she MUST be anti semetic as well. Someone more in the know than me can let me know, but does she have a history of being anti-semetic as well as being a TERF? Also how involved with this game was she? My guess is not at all?

That said, I don't think we can always give these comapanies and devs the benefit of the doubt when it comes to this stuff and just write it off as "pure coincidence."

I do not know about her anti-Semitic history but she is outright transphobic and almost giddily so, and frankly won’t stfu about it. 

28 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think folks would be more willing to overlook this as being "just generic folklore stuff" if it wasn't for the fact that JK Rowling is an overt transphobe so she MUST be anti semetic as well. Someone more in the know than me can let me know, but does she have a history of being anti-semetic as well as being a TERF? Also how involved with this game was she? My guess is not at all?

I am not aware of JKR being anti-Semitic and I don't ascribe the depiction of goblins in her novels to any overt anti-Semitism on her part, but rather it's a by-product of the overall undercurrent of anti-Semitism that permeates certain aspect of European folklore.  For the sin of overt anti-Semitsm, JKR is more than likely "not guilty".

In contrast, she can go to Gehenna/Jahannam for her transphobia.

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah I buy the generic folklore stuff... shit even George Lucas played with stereotypes in his depictions of certain aliens in the prequel trilogy and got called out for it rightly so. It was REAL bad in Phantom Menace.

Watto was practically straight out of "The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion" as far as Jewish caricatures go.

• True 2

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I actually feel the same. Game looks super OK. I’m surprised by how much excitement there is for it.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Lot of Harry Potter fans out there.

Also a lot of people who want to prove the "haters" wrong and support Rowling. You see the same argument over and over again. I don't think they're in it for the Harry Potter they  just like her viewpoints.

39 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Also a lot of people who want to prove the "haters" wrong and support Rowling. You see the same argument over and over again. I don't think they're in it for the Harry Potter they  just like her viewpoints.

That absolutely exists but that’s not at all the reason for the hype. It’s 100% the fans of arguably the biggest IP out there right now. The developers knew exactly what they were doing in the marketing, it wasn’t until very recently they got into combat or even the dam story. The bulk of the early marketing all centered around “Look you can actually walk around Hogwarts! We have all the common rooms!” THAT is where the hype is coming from for the legion of Harry Potter fans. 

Hell I don’t even care about Harry Porter that much but even I think it’ll be cool to walk about that school/world haha

• Halal 1

Game Information

Game Title: Hogwarts Legacy

Platforms:

• PC (Feb 10, 2023)
  • PlayStation 4 (Feb 10, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Feb 10, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Feb 10, 2023)
  • Xbox One (Feb 10, 2023)
  • Nintendo Switch (Feb 10, 2023)

Developer: Avalanche Software
Publisher: Warner Bros. Games

Review Aggregator:
OpenCritic - 84 average - 89% recommended

Critic Reviews

GameHaunt - 5 / 5

Hogwarts Legacy is a thrilling and immersive game that takes players on a journey through the wizarding world of Harry Potter. With its rich and detailed world, deep spellcasting system, and engaging combat, the game offers players a wealth of content to explore and engage with.

Glitched Africa - 10 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy is a remarkable achievement. It is filled with an incredible amount of love and passion. All of which delivers a true love letter to fans. There's simply nothing else like it and we'll be talking about this magical experience for years to come.

Multiplayer First - 10 / 10

I say this to the highest degree of praise possible when speaking about Avalanche Studios and Hogwarts Legacy. Avalanche Studios does for Harry Potter what Rocksteady did for Batman;  a perfect match, delivering a genuine, authentic experience like no other. For the last 20-plus years, I’ve dreamt about an open-world Harry Potter game that has everything you’d expect out of a Harry Potter game, and Avalanche has finally delivered on that dream. The attention to detail that has gone into this game, the love and care, and the pure dedication of the team. It all goes unnoticed.

Areajugones - Spanish - 9.7 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy is the game I've always dreamed of. I never thought you could do something like this with the Harry Potter saga. Avalanche has dared to create something new, but still being faithful to the original material. We are talking about one of those problematic games because not only do they overshadow everything that has been done with the franchise in the past, but because the next title will have a very difficult time reaching the bar that has set this one. Hogwarts Legacy is the game every Harry Potter fan deserved; a work for which I was not prepared.

GamesCreed - 4.8 / 5

Hogwarts Legacy introduces the fundamentals to provide an array of elements to bestow one of the best experiences in history. No question, it is worthy of being a GOTY 2023 contender. It’s a masterpiece and will undoubtedly become one of the greatest games of all time.

BaziCenter - Persian - 10 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy is, without a doubt, the lost heaven for Harry Potter fans. Its incredible art design matched with a solid story, polished gameplay, and atmospheric world easily make it one of the main contenders for the awards season and with the sales nothing but guaranteed, we can expect to see it becoming a big franchise in the future.

COGconnected - 95 / 100

Hogwarts Legacy is one of the all-time great surprises in my 25+ years of gaming. I love everything about it. The world is stunning. The combat is both satisfying and challenging. And it’s reignited my love for something seemingly lost to space and time. Overnight, Avalanche Software has cemented itself as a triple-A developer, delivering a game that belongs in conversations with the very best. Class is in session, folks.

Capsule Computers - 9.5 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy is an engaging spectacle, providing a stunning playground full of imagination and wonder.

Gaming Nexus - 9.5 / 10

The bottom line is that Hogwarts Legacy is fun. Exploring the school, Hogsmeade and the surrounding hamlets is rewarding. The spells feel like they've come alive from the pages of the books. Combat is exciting and very challenging on the higher settings. But it's not without some faults. Glitches are encountered frequently, and some parts of the game can be frustrating. On PS5, Hogwarts Legacy looks and runs great. If you're really into the world of Harry Potter, or open world games in general, you are going to love Hogwarts Legacy.

GamingTrend - 95 / 100

Full to bursting with unparalleled world building and lore, Hogwarts Legacy shows a level of care rarely seen. I’m stupefied with how amazing it is from top to bottom, and I have a feeling you’ll be hooked the moment you put on the Sorting Hat.

MondoXbox - Italian - 9.5 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy embodies perfection for every fan of the Harry Potter saga. A must-have, must-play and must-live if you have ever imagined what it was like to receive the famous letter from Hogwarts. But even non-fans will find it a very enjoyable RPG experience, with very few bugs, majestic graphical detail and a well-balanced difficulty.

NoobFeed - 95 / 100

A great RPG with magnificent graphics, intense gameplay, and an excellent representation of the fantasy world. If you're looking for a deep-action RPG experience, Hogwarts Legacy isn't it. It is neither an open world that reinvents the wheel but does a wonderful job reviving Hogwarts and its wizarding world. If you're hoping for a game that can keep you captivated for hours, Hogwarts Legacy is definitely the game you must try.

PlayStation Universe - 9.5 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy is a compelling fantasy-RPG packed with stunning scenery, memorable characters and fantastic combat. Not only is it a brilliant love letter to fans of the Wizarding World, it excels as a game in its own right, so even non-Potter fans will find themselves immersed in its great story and characters.

Atomix - Spanish - 93 / 100

Hogwarts Legacy is a dream come true. Despite not being a perfect game, is a very special experience for all the Harry Potter fans and also, a great open world title.

Generación Xbox - Spanish - 93 / 100

Hogwarts Legacy is here to bewitch Harry Potter and RPG fans alike. Enjoy the ultimate experience of the wizarding world.

IGN Italy - Italian - 9.2 / 10

A beautiful transposition of the Wizarding World, Hogwarts Legacy is both a tribute to the Harry Potter universe and a litmus test largely passed by Avalanche Studios with their first, big and delicate project.

SomosXbox - Spanish - 9.2 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy is not only the best Harry Potter game created to date, but it is also a good RPG for those who are not lovers of the franchise. The care that Avalanche Software has given in each and every one of the elements of the game is worthy of admiration, being able to realize the dream that many of us had as children: to have an experience in the magical world.

AusGamers - 9.1 / 10

Enrol yourself today in the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. This might be one of the year’s best courses.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4.5 / 5

Avalanche Software has done it — the comfort, the nostalgia, the freshness, the thrill — everything in Hogwarts Legacy emulsifies together to create a celebration of what the Wizarding World is and what the fans have always dreamed of. This is by far the best Wizarding World video game to ever come out and stands with a select few games that prove more is more.

Fextralife - 9 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy is the closest thing I have ever seen to a perfect Harry Potter Game

FingerGuns - 9 / 10

The hugely anticipated Hogwarts Legacy does not disappoint. An early GOTY contender offers interesting storytelling parallels with the Harry Potter franchise, beautiful and glorious fan favourite locations, and an array of exciting combat and collectibles for hours of entertainment.

GRYOnline.pl - Polish - 9 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy’s wonderful world makes it one of those games that you'd just love to keep experiencing for the first time - forever - and we envy anyone who's yet to step into it. Even if it’s just a regular, open-world game underneath all the magic, it truly is an excellent one.

Game Informer - 9 / 10

I encountered several minor technical issues over the course of my lengthy playthrough, such as pop-in while moving fast or long door-opening loads. And some of the game systems are more successful than others; a flood of useless low-quality gear rewards is one notable, if minor problem that sometimes stalls the fun. But for those who have long wished for a rich interactive playground to live out your own Harry Potter fantasy, Hogwarts Legacy casts an incredibly mesmerizing spell.

Game Rant - 4.5 / 5

Hogwarts Legacy lives up to the hype, and we can confidently say it's the best thing to come out of the Harry Potter franchise since the original books and movies.

Gameblog - French - 9 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy is a masterpiece. A fan video game for the fans.

Geek Culture - 9 / 10

Even if you are a relative stranger to its source material, the way Hogwarts Legacy introduces magic and all of its astonishing quirks, helped by a cast whose performances are always worth a watch, and bookended by a satisfying combat and exploration loop, this is an unforgettable experience from start to finish. By melding the allure of the Harry Potter franchise with an interconnected gameplay system that is always pushing players forward to the next entertaining activity, the game is more than able to keep you under its spell for a long, long time.

Geeks & Com - French - 9 / 10

With very high expectations, Hogwarts Legacy: Hogwarts Legacy manages to surprise the player both in terms of its narrative and the fully explorable universe. The title offers dozens of hours of quests in addition to the little secrets hidden everywhere. If you are a Harry Potter fan, there is no doubt that you will be charmed by this successful adaptation. Flaws such as certain parts of the interface or the underused equipment system do not allow the overall experience to be tarnished. Hats off to the studio team at Avalanche Software who had a huge order and managed to meet the challenge. No doubt more content will be added in the future especially with the current commercial and critical success.

God is a Geek - 9 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy is filled with so many mechanics that nothing feels arbitrary, with so much joy to be found within its story and spell books.

Hey Poor Player - 4.5 / 5

Avalanche Software has managed to turn a once far-fetched dream into a reality for many Harry Potter fans, as Hogwarts Legacy is simply a masterful fantasy experience. Despite a few hiccups here and there, this is still, hands down, the most authentic and immersive Wizarding World video game out there. My time with Hogwarts Legacy has been nothing short of remarkable, and I can’t wait to see what comes next in the franchise from Warner Bros.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 90 / 100

Hogwarts Legacy has the same structure you've seen in any other modern open world game, but, at the same time, it fills you with memories from long time ago... When a Flipendo was all you needed to push a block. It may no do anything different or relevant than those games, but it has something they lack: magic.

IGN - 9 / 10

In almost every way, Hogwarts Legacy is the Harry Potter RPG I’ve always wanted to play.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 9 / 10

A gigantic love letter to one of the most beloved and relevant universes of youth literature, and one of the best games of the year.

Impulsegamer - 4.5 / 5

Pushing the J.K. Rowling controversy to the side, Hogwarts Legacy is a true celebration of the magical universe that she created which perfectly transitioned to film. Her universe has equally been adapted well into this game courtesy of Avalanche Studios with its gameplay and story. Whether the story will become canon is yet to be seen but again this is as close as you can get to the core of what the extended universe of Harry Potter can be that not only plays well on the PS5 but looks fantastic.

LevelUp - Spanish - 9 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy has a fun and exciting combat system, and its visuals are simply beautiful. The school and other locations are full of life and details. Without a doubt, it's an amazing, huge and magical game; a charming journey that transports us to the world of Harry Potter.

PC Invasion - 9 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy sets a new benchmark for video game adaptations of novels and films. Although it has some notable flaws, it has numerous moments that leave you spellbound.

PPE.pl - Polish - 9 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy will be a dream come true for many players. This is a very cleverly put together game that will repeatedly make the biggest fans of the Harry Potter series tearfully explore the next threads and draw handfuls from this world.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 90 / 100

Hogwarts Legacy tells a great story of the wizarding world, with a beautiful audiovisual work and solid mechanics to the lore of this universe. Its greatest quality, however, lies in making all of this contribute to the fantastic experience of immersion and belonging that every fan has always dreamed of.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 9 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy is the game Harry Potter fans have dreamt of since the first book was released. It puts you firmly in the shoes of a student and turns you loose to find your place in the world of wizardry. Unfortunately, its biggest issue is that it often feels like you’re just visiting.

PowerUp! - 9 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy is an ambitious triumph.

Press Start - 9 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy is the Wizarding World game that fans have dreamt of for years. It offers a dense and rich open-world to explore complemented perfectly by a surprisingly robust and engaging combat system unlike anything else. While the story does live in the shadow of its predecessors, and managing gear can be repetitive, Hogwarts Legacy is a truly magical experience and utterly bewitching from beginning to end.

Pure Xbox - 9 / 10

It felt like Hogwarts Legacy was always going to struggle to live up to the hype, but somehow Avalanche Software has managed to deliver an absolutely fantastic open world adventure that will surely go down as comfortably the best game based on the Harry Potter franchise so far. If you've been following its progress for a while and were keeping your fingers crossed for good reviews, we're pleased to report that it's definitely been worth the wait.

Screen Rant - 4.5 / 5

Hogwarts Legacy is a wonderful game filled to the brim with adventures to be had, activities to engage in, and secrets to be found. The school and the surrounding areas have been recreated beautifully, and players will easily lose hours lost in the whimsical splendor of this wizarding world.

Softpedia - 9 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy perfectly manages to capture the charm and wonder of the Wizarding World universe. Everything in the game is thoughtfully implemented to offer players that unique feeling that you’re sharing the same world as Harry Potter.

The Outerhaven Productions - 4.5 / 5

Hogwarts Legacy is an absolute monster of passion and creativity in a world that is all about creativity. Great combat mechanics and a unique open world with many interesting secrets hidden around makes playing this game an absolute treasure.

TrueAchievements - 9 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy is a magical experience that is bound to go down well with fans of the Wizarding World.

WayTooManyGames - 9 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy impressed me, and not just as a lifelong fan. I especially loved its dedication to exploration and puzzle solving, two things modern RPGs are finding less and less time for. I think it’s possibly the best RPG for newcomers to the genre and people who don’t otherwise play RPGs. Unlike most RPGs, setting the difficulty to Story doesn’t invalidate everything. With Hogwarts Legacy, there’s still plenty of game to explore and puzzles to solve. You can still have a fun fulfilling gameplay experience, without complicated combat getting in the way.

WellPlayed - 9 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy is the most definitively accurate and exciting wizarding world adventure people could hope to experience, short of getting a real-life invitation to Hogwarts. With hours of content and a wealth of wizarding wonderment, you'd be hard pressed not to enjoy yourself to an impressive capacity.

Windows Central - 4.5 / 5

There are plenty of small little details in each area that work together to create a magical experience. From the unexpected ways that stairs appear before me to the NPC interactions that I come across while running through an area, everything works together to create a full and rich world filled with magical creatures, movie references, and fun wizarding world facts. I highly recommend this adventure to anyone who loves open-world games, satisfying combat, and rewarding puzzles.

XGN.nl - Dutch - 9 / 10

A new adventure in the Wizarding World has seemed like an excellent idea for years and Avalanche Software has proven with gusto what is possible. Players are treated to an extensive story with a completely new cast of characters, a beautiful world full of content and a battle system that is strongly put together.

XboxEra - 9 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy borrows a lot of design choices and ideas from other open-world titles, and yet, it creates a truly unique product, unlike any title in the genre, with a true focus on world-building rather than non-stop combat encounters. It’s a game that should be experienced, even by those who aren’t Potter fans at all.

GamePro - German - 89 / 100

Hogwarts Legacy is a magical role-playing game for Potter fans that enchants us despite minor quirks and its formulaic open world.

INVEN - Korean - 8.8 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy has succeeded in presenting players a huge, mysteriously beautiful 'Hogwarts'. While the game expands the franchise's thrilling, magical experience throughout the Highlands, it did not forget the delicate touches for the original fans. It is safe to say that this is the game where the Wizarding World you've dreamed unfolds right before your eyes.

Xbox Achievements - 88%

Hogwarts Legacy is an absolutely magical video game, one that is packed with awe-inspiring moments full of mystery and wonderment. Come for Hogwarts itself, a magic school oozing with secrets to behold, and stay for the combat, the engaging story and the frankly astonishing Room of Requirement.

Spaziogames - Italian - 8.7 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy embodies everything that Harry Potter's fans always asked from an official video games, but it's enjoyable even for people who know nothing about the franchise.

3DNews - Russian - 8.5 / 10

A great gift for Harry Potter fans. Even though The Boy Who Lived isn't here, exploring Hogwarts and each room in it is fun and exciting.

Enternity.gr - Greek - 8.5 / 10

Avalanche's new title is a gorgeous 35-40 hour action RPG that respects the universe it sets out to expand, doing so with a worthwhile story and a highly interesting cast of characters.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Turkish - 85 / 100

Dependent on the source material but with its own freedom, Hogwarts Legacy successfully brings the world of magic to life.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 8.5 / 10

While Hogwarts Legacy doesn't bring anyting new to the the open-world action RPG genre, it manages to captivate players with its incredibly detailed world and fun activites. The game feels more like a theme park ride and offers an incredibly magical experience rather than a deep story. The game is full of references and even reimaginations of scenes from the Harry Potter films. Those magical moments of flying on a hippogriff, seeing the sun set behind Hogwarts and snow falling from the ceiling in the Great Hall will be etched in your memory.

SpaceNerd.it - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy is a fantastic magical experience that every lover of the saga would love to try sooner or later. Hogwarts Castle and every glimpse of it are beautifully recreated, allowing you to experience the Wizarding World to its fullest. However, there are some minor technical issues, nothing that cannot be solved with future updates.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Harry Potter fans will be thrilled to experience an epic adventure in a familiar setting recreated with such passion and accuracy, but those who crave it for the action RPG soul should know that Hogwarts Legacy doesn't have exceptionally deep mechanics.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 8.5 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy by far is the best adaptation of the Wizarding World in a videogame, it simulates the life of a student at Hogwarts along with a fun combat system and exploring an untold story of the Ancient Magic

Everyeye.it - Italian - 8.3 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy can be a manifesto of the heart that wins over reason. The one basted by Avalanche Software is in fact an open world RPG not very stimulating in the dynamics of exploration and with a role-playing formula not entirely impactful, which could tire the most demanding players. However, we believe that the flaws are well balanced by a good combat system, a great attention to detail and an impeccable artistic direction, which represents a true love letter to the Wizarding World and its fans.

PC Gamer - 83 / 100

Hogwarts Legacy is a great game haunted by a terrible creator.

GAMES.CH - German - 81%

Hogwarts Legacy is a fully fleshed action RPG with everything that belongs to that. The fights are fun, the magic based riddles are nice, the presentation is beautiful, even if the game does not deliver a technically through and through next-gen experience. Don't think so much about the open world, think more about a magical atmosphere, that should reach any RPG player, in particular fans of the Harry Potter franchise.

Daily Star - 4 / 5

This is a must-buy for Potter fanatics and a very good game for those less fussed by the lore of the much-loved kids books. It’s got strong combat, depth to its open world, plenty of character and a decent storyline.

Dexerto - 4 / 5

Hogwarts Legacy isn’t the perfect game, with the main story falling short in areas and technical issues providing some frustrating moments. However, it achieves a level of immersion that grips you into the wizarding world and doesn’t let you go.

GGRecon - 4 / 5

Whether you’re a diehard Potterhead or casual Wizarding World lover, you’ll have an epic time no matter what level of fan you are.

Even though there is optional padding, it’s optional nonetheless. The core experience of Hogwarts Legacy is still not only the best game in the entire franchise but a seriously fun RPG that will take your breath away in its pinnacle moments.

All in all, 80 points to Hufflepuff.

Gadgets 360 - 8 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy ticks all right the boxes. It could have very easily been a watered-down RPG trying to cash in on its name, but at its core there is a robust and fun video game that stands up on its own, even if one doesn't care for Harry Potter. The fun combat system, consistently surprising world exploration, and a cast of likeable and colourful characters lift Hogwarts Legacy, as if carried by a levitation spell. Avalanche Software has borrowed a popular body of work, but made sure to breathe its own soul into it.

GameSpew - 8 / 10

Avalanche Software and Portkey Games have done an impressive job of creating something original within a much-loved franchise. Hogwarts Legacy is the closest any of us are ever going to get to actually attending Hogwarts, and what a magical experience it is. It’s clear that it’s been created with love, and the attention to detail here is phenomenal. It’s not without its issues, of course, but there’s few that get in the way of the overall experience. It looks gorgeous, it’s a joy to play, and being a wizard is just about as fun as we’d always hoped it would be.

Gamefa - Persian - 8 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy is by far the best adaptation for Harry Potter's Fans. For those people, it's like a dream come true. That being said, I believe the World, characters and story had more potential which left unused. Nevertheless, Hogwarts Legacy is an entertaining game that could keep you busy and well entertained for a long time.

Gamersky - Chinese - 8 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy is probably the best Harry Potter game out there. Hogwarts and the wizarding world are very faithful to the original, and each quest is designed to make the content rich, but not deep enough.

GamingBolt - 8 / 10

Everyone will have to make their own choice on whether or not to engage with Hogwarts Legacy, but if you do choose to play it, you'll find it to be a well-made and densely packed open world action RPG that adapts the Wizarding World universe in excellent ways.

Hardcore Gamer - 4 / 5

Avalanche Software had a mighty challenge when it came to adapting the Wizarding World into a game.

INDIANTVCZ - Czech - 8 / 10

Expecto Verdictum! Hogwarts Legacy offers a serious mystery story that could quickly form the basis for another book in the Harry Potter world. It also often provides humorous situations that aren't just fan service. At the same time, it is not a fairy tale. The story isn't afraid to be morbid and doesn't hide the fact that the wizarding world is full of danger. The game manages to captivate as much as it disappoints but in a balanced way. It works well, thankfully, offering plenty of entertaining content that doesn't just act as filler between the main missions.

Kakuchopurei - 80 / 100

[T]he enchanting world and context of being a student learning a ton of spells, exploring the vicinity with its many dangers and poachers armed to the teeth, coupled with the intuitive controls and gameplay mechanics from spellcasting to flying just make the Hogwarts Legacy experience better than most of its contemporaries.

M3 - Swedish - 4 / 5

Hogwarts Legacy is filled to the brim with content and things to see and do. However, depth is lacking and most aspects of the game could well have been expanded a bit more. I simply would have liked to have seen a little more quality over quantity, but regardless, this is an action adventure that will keep you entertained for a long time.

Metro GameCentral - 8 / 10

A truly wizard RPG, whose historical setting frees it from the limitations of the books and films, with an open world experience that entertains no matter how much you care about the source material.

Push Square - 8 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy has turned the hopes and dreams of Harry Potter fans into reality. Finally there is a proper simulator of the school of witchcraft and wizardry, allowing you to create your own student, attend classes, and explore the vast landscape outside.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 8 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy, as we mentioned, may be a regular open-world game. Still, its use of the wizarding world in all its aspects was terrific and very special, in the way that the story presents interesting events and missions with ideas, a fun combat system, and a world that gives many motives to roam through thanks to the use of ideas of magical abilities by exploring it.

After years of flimsy games from the Harry Potter series, Hogwarts Legacy is finally an amazing experience worthy of that world and welcomes new fans.

Stevivor - 8 / 10

While combat may become repetitive, it’s more than serviceable, and fits in against the backdrop of an action-RPG that’s about so much more than killing goons — even if there is a lot of that. It’s a game that finally lets you live your dreams of 20 years ago, with a chance to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and have your own magical adventure.

The Beta Network - 8 / 10

It may be quite shocking to hear this, but Hogwarts Legacy isn’t just a cheap tie-in game that some salty sceptics thought it’d be. Whether it’s the rich spell-based action, fun schoolyard activities or sky-high exploration of Hogwarts, fans of Harry Potter will certainly find something to enjoy here.

TheReviewGeek - 8 / 10

There’s a whole bunch of Easter eggs here, not to mention an expansive world brimming with secrets and plenty of busywork to keep you playing long after the main quest has finished. The combat is pretty fun, especially late on when you can mix and match spells, and you can tell a lot of care and attention has been putting into this.

Hogwarts Legacy isn’t the best open world game on the market but it is a surprisingly polished experience and the perfect thrill-ride for Potter fans.

Tom's Guide - 4 / 5

Despite its flaws, Hogwarts Legacy is clearly a game made by Potter fans, for Potter fans, and for that particular audience, it’s been more than worth the very long wait. Hogwarts Legacy is by no means a revolutionary gaming experience, but it’s still a pretty magical one.

Tom's Hardware Italia - Italian - 8 / 10

Is Hogwarts Legacy promoted? We say yes: If you are a Harry Potter fan, you will immerse yourself in the world you have always fantasized about, feeling like the heroes of the story and holding the fate of the Wizarding World in your hands.

Twinfinite - 4 / 5

Hogwarts Legacy gave me the rare opportunity to be transported back to a time that was harder in some ways, but also simpler in many others. The fantasy of what could’ve been was sweet and lovely, but also devastatingly fleeting. Then again, perhaps that’s really all I could ever ask for.

VGC - 4 / 5

Hogwarts Legacy brilliantly captures the magic of the world of Harry Potter with its beautiful open world, engaging characters and exciting combat. While the open-world elements of the game make it feel more dated than we'd have liked, it's otherwise the best the Wizarding World has been in a video game.

We Got This Covered - 4 / 5

The chips might have been stacked against them, but Warner Bros. and Avalanche Software have delivered on their promise. Hogwarts Legacy is the game that fans have been waiting for, laying down a solid foundation to build off of moving forward.

AltChar - 78 / 100

I guess the level of enjoyment you get out of Hogwarts Legacy depends on your knowledge of the Harry Potter universe. The more you love this world the more you’ll enjoy Hogwarts Legacy. It’s as simple as that. This doesn’t mean that there’s nothing here for those who are just getting started with Harry Potter or just want a fantasy world to explore - there certainly is - but Hogwarts Legacy truly feels like a love letter to the fans of J.K Rowling’s work, above all.

GameGrin - 7.5 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy is a must-have for fans, and worth a buy for everyone else if they're interested. It does have its shortcomings, but its stellar gameplay and world allows it to stand on its own.

Destructoid - 7 / 10

Solid and definitely has an audience. There could be some hard-to-ignore faults, but the experience is fun.

EIP Gaming - 7 / 10

While technically competent in all ways, the reliance on nostalgia and old "don't-fix-it-if-it-ain't-broke" game mechanics keeps Hogwarts Legacy from really being as stellar as it could be. It does everything well while falling into the Harry Potter trap of forgetting to innovate. Still, it is impossible to ignore the polish on display.

GamesRadar+ - 3.5 / 5

Hogwarts Legacy is a solid first attempt. If Avalanche can be accused of anything, it's that the studio has tried to do too much all at once. Something was always going to give – between the massive open world, the messy RPG economy, exciting action combat, and adventure story that wants to cast you as a hero with homework due on Monday.

PCGamesN - 7 / 10

Content-rich and competent, if a little uninspired, Potter fans will enjoy Hogwarts Legacy's faithful recreation of its universe, but it brings little of novelty to the open-world RPG genre.

PCMag - 3.5 / 5

Hogwarts Legacy delivers a detail-rich world steeped in Harry Potter lore with satisfying spells, exploration, and combat, though it plays better on consoles than on PC.

TheSixthAxis - 7 / 10

The sights and sounds alone make Hogwarts Legacy the dream Harry Potter game fans have been longing for. There's an intriguing mystery to unravel, though you're bound to spend most of your time exploring a wealth of side content, visiting virtual landmarks and roleplaying as a Hogwarts student. That said, it's more successful in being a sandbox teeming with nostalgia rather than a stand-out action RPG in its own right, let down by gameplay foibles and spellcasting combat that quickly slides into repetition.

Game Revolution - 6 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy is full of Harry Potter fanservice, but as a game, it’s only serviceable. A fun but forgettable journey that isn’t worth the amount of controversy surrounding it.

GameSpot - 6 / 10

Hogwarts Legacy brilliantly adapts all of the source material fans of the Potterverse will expect, but wastes it on a rote open-world filled with mundane quests.

Guardian - 3 / 5

Even the most fervent millennial fans will find little here beyond being able to wield a wand in the hallowed halls

Telegraph - 3 / 5

Can Avalanche Software's Harry Potter adventure escape the shadow of the JK Rowling backlash?

Digital Trends - 2.5 / 5

Hogwarts Legacy will likely please die-hard Harry Potter fans, but its tired open-world design lacks imagination.

ACG - Buy

"Hogwarts is a stunning surprise in 2023. An open-world game built on a classic IP that not only reflects the original IP but expands it in ways I didn't expect, with good combat, storytelling, and production."

Chicas Gamers - Spanish - Unscored

Hogwarts Legacy is an open-world action RPG for one player where we have to complete some secondary missions to continues the main history. Still, it has good moments and the combats along with the spell sets will delight fans. Completing the game will take you a good number of hours thanks to the large amount of secondary content , the main story and being able to visit locations that we have never seen in this magical world, will make it an essential for fans of this universe.

ComicBook.com - Unscored

While it doesn't do everything perfectly, Hogwarts Legacy stimulates the imagination with a rich world to explore and gameplay that empowers and thrills the player. The Harry Potter films had the tough task of taking words on a page and creating a visual language for them. Hogwarts Legacy had the even tougher task of taking that visual language and making it interactive, ultimately expanding it all into something that is fun to play and immerse yourself in. Although there's still a long year ahead of us and tons of great looking games on the horizon, Hogwarts Legacy is already one of the best games of 2023.

Echo Boomer - Portuguese - Recommended

Hogwarts Legacy arrives full of ambition to deliver an action RPG that's the ultimate wizarding experience in the world of Harry Potter, and it succeeds! Even if accompanied with an uninteresting and flat narrative.

Eurogamer.pt - Portuguese - Recommended

If you're already a Harry Potter fan, there will certainly be something for you at Hogwarts Legacy, even with a completely different range of characters from the one you're used to. The music, the different classrooms, the ghosts wandering around, the paintings on the walls, the poltergeist Peeves, it's all so nostalgic that, for a moment, I returned to my adolescence. If you're not entirely familiar with the Harry Potter lore, it'll be a little harder to understand some of the game's mechanics, but don't worry: you still have a huge world to explore, dozens of puzzles, collectibles and creatures to capture. Who knows, your journey into the world of sorcery begins here!

GameOnAUS - Loved

I truly feel this game has opened the door for some incredible story telling in this world, and I look forward to the future of gaming in the Wizarding World.

One More Game - Buy

Whether or not you’re a fan of the Harry Potter books or the Wizarding World in general, Hogwarts Legacy is a fantastic open-world adventure that certainly delivers. While it retreads familiar open-world ground, it does so with a polish and impressive attention to detail that’s rare in this day and age of bug-filled releases.

Hogwarts Legacy delivers a masterful experience not just for fans but also for newcomers to the Wizarding World.

Polygon - Unscored

Hogwarts Legacy is a game that relies entirely on your nostalgia to power your enjoyment — it’s a piñata with nothing inside.

Unboxholics - Greek - Worth your time

Hogwarts Legacy wants to offer a certain fantasy and does it purposefully and successfully. It is the "Harry Potter" game that the average fan has always dreamed of. The metaphor of the universe is done very aptly and the game world is for me, its greatest achievement. Beautiful and lively, it is, I would say, in itself a reason to deal with it, even if he is not particularly moved by Harry Potter. Beneath this shiny wrapper, there is a well-realized but trivial open world world that carries with it almost all the pathogenesis of the genre, while, narratively, although it has good times, the main story moves in shallow water. Despite its striking weaknesses, however, it is so extensive and meticulously constructed that I consider that as a whole, it fulfills its purpose.

Wccftech - Unscored

In terms of story, Hogwarts Legacy also manages to capture the magical feel of Harry Potter. It does it successfully by being set a good century before the events of the novels. We'll meet a few Weasleys, even a gaunt, to name a few. The only known characters from the other formats you'll know are the ghosts of Hogwarts, with you crossing with Peeves, chatting with Nearly-Headless Nick (if you're Gryffindor, I assume other houses will be different) and other longer-term fixtures. Fortunately, and as far as I am, the game manages to forge its path incredibly well, adding in a few canonical elements, such as ancient magic. I'm not at the end, so if it is canon, I'm curious how they explain away the lack of ancient magic in later stories.

• Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Hogwarts Legacy (PC/Xbox/PlayStation - 10 February 2023, Switch - "later") - update: reviews from OpenCritic posted
11 hours ago, sblfilms said:

How much have tou looked at it? Because personally, it’s always looked really good. 
they’ve been showing gameplay for a while now. And when they shower the hour long plat through last month, hype went through the roof. Obviously HP isn’t for everyone, but the game looks incredible.

14 hours ago, best3444 said:

Midnight eastern time? I'm going to preload it now.

Midnight in your time zome, I believe. Rolling unlock.

pC is all at the same time though.

10 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think folks would be more willing to overlook this as being "just generic folklore stuff" if it wasn't for the fact that JK Rowling is an overt transphobe so she MUST be anti semetic as well (is the assumption). Someone more in the know than me can let me know, but does she have a history of being anti-semetic as well as being a TERF? Also how involved with this game was she? My guess is not at all?

The tropes she used are as old as time in European fantasy/mythology. They are just using them to attack her specifically because of her views on sex and gender. 
I mean, I saw someone complaining about goblin bankers being anti-semitic (which is true, but As others have said, nothing she did intentionally) on REEEsetera, saying even if JKR wasn’t a transphobe, they wouldn’t play because it’s Anti-Semitic. Went to check their post history. Massive WoW fan/player. WoW has hook nosed goblins, who are also bankers (and greedy pirates). So the self awareness is zero and the knives were out from day 1. 

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

The vibe I get is it's got a baseline quality to it and if you like Harry Potter you're gonna dig it because you've never had a quality game in that setting. 

My sense is though that if it didn't have that set dressing and you lack affinity for it, it's not worth your time. 

Good for Potter fans though. I was once a pretty big fan of the books. 

9 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

These are really surprising reviews, especially considering all the factors stacked against it.

I was pretty sure any professional review that decided to take it  would try to judge the game on it's own merits rather than allowing the outside stuff affect the review score.

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I was pretty sure any professional review that decided to take it  would try to judge the game on it's own merits rather than allowing the outside stuff affect the review score.

I'd say the appropriate course of action would be to review the game as normal, but to include a side bar with information regarding the controversies involving the author and other aspects of the IP with links to donate to relevant charitable organizations.

• True 2
  • Halal 1

23 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Try?  Sure.  I agree that the ones most offended by it wouldn't review the game to begin with.  I still wouldn't doubt that many reviewers went into it with a bias against the franchise.

11 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'd say the appropriate course of action would be to review the game as normal, but to include a side bar with information regarding the controversies involving the author and other aspects of the IP with links to donate to relevant charitable organizations.

Keep it out of the review unless those things seeped into the game, IMO.  Publish a separate editorial instead.

• True 1

13 hours ago, sblfilms said:

46 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

The vibe I get is it's got a baseline quality to it and if you like Harry Potter you're gonna dig it because you've never had a quality game in that setting. 

This is the thing. I grew up with the books, I’m a huge fan, I’ve wanted a game like this for 20+ years. All we’ve had are crappy PS2-era movie tie-ins and a couple of LEGO games. If it’s even passably good, that still makes it one of the most exciting games of the year for me. 

• Halal 2

7 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

This is the thing. I grew up with the books, I’m a huge fan, I’ve wanted a game like this for 20+ years. All we’ve had are crappy PS2-era movie tie-ins and a couple of LEGO games. If it’s even passably good, that still makes it one of the most exciting games of the year for me. 

That's how I felt when that Game of Thrones RPG came out in 2013. Was it a good game? Not particularly, but I played the shit out of it nonetheless.

• Hugs 1

21 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Except you’re not wanting to support the transphobic IP creator, right? 

Right? 

/Anakin and Padme meme

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

They are just using them to attack her specifically because of her views on sex and gender. 

To be specific people are upset she is a transphobic piece of shit that actively engages in harmful and dangerous public rhetoric, not because she has different “views”

• Like 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 2

Game sounds great though. I was a fan of Disney Infinity so I had confidence that with a big budget/dev time they would succeed in something more AAA. 

Im not sure if I want to do this one next, just because I just beat a magic based game. I’ll probably play the opening then get back to Dead Space first.

• Halal 1