Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

31 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Only thing making me interested in this is that I just haven't seen a bad word about this outside of the JKR stuff. Like every preview I've seen was glowing, reviews are good. Haven't seen anyone play the game and say this game sucks and I only hesitate to buy it day 1 because there is a chance I just don't at all give a shit about HP, even in a video game.

Just read the IGN review. It brings up a ton of issues about the game and then at the end it basically says, "I like Harry Potter 9/10"

• Haha 1

I just read every review. This will be an utter treat for me considering my gaming tastes and preferences. Minus the disgusting JKR stuff I'm looking past that and I'm going to enjoy this potential goty. 

I hope you guys can look past all the bullshit and enjoy the game as well. 

28 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I just read every review. This will be an utter treat for me considering my gaming tastes and preferences. Minus the disgusting JKR stuff I'm looking past that and I'm going to enjoy this potential goty. 

I hope you guys can look past all the bullshit and enjoy the game as well. 

Did you get the 72 hours of early access?

JKR has just decimated my love for a series I was obsessed with for so many years. I still keep my HP books from my youth, but I haven't done my yearly reread of the series in a handful of years now. I just have almost no interest in new HP stuff,  this game included. Nevermind the fact I have so much else to play that it's not like I feel I'm missing out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

I feel like if they want to offer early access it would make more sense to do it on a Friday and then release the game regular in Tuesday. Paying extra to play during the work week isn’t that tempting for me!

I feel like this was specifically done for me. Tues/Weds is my weekend, which is why I’m annoyed so many games release on Friday now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

JKR has just decimated my love for a series I was obsessed with for so many years. I still keep my HP books from my youth, but I haven't done my yearly reread of the series in a handful of years now. I just have almost no interest in new HP stuff,  this game included. Nevermind the fact I have so much else to play that it's not like I feel I'm missing out.

Completely understandable. You do you!

20 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

With you on that. I still have a lot of love for the Harry Potter books, movies, and overall lore.

And I have a lot of hype for this game.

However, I wont be buying it as I don't wanna do anything that could give JKR any profit.

12 minutes ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

I'm not woke, why am I supposed to hate this game? 

You probably couldn't properly define "woke" if we defined it for you and gave you a week to respond, but you're not "supposed" to hate this game, you don't have to hate anything. People don't like JK Rowling because she's a hateful piece of shit, that's all.

47 minutes ago, Bacon said:

The people calling this dark soul-harry potter or potter souls remind me of the same people who thought Darksiders was like Zelda.

I literally didn't even see the Zelda influence until someone on these forums pointed out all the superficial shit that wasn't core to what made Zelda Zelda for me, haha. There's dungeons! And treasure chests! And you upgrade your health! And you fight with a sword! Bitch are we talking about Zelda or just any RPG ever?!

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

On 2/3/2023 at 1:34 PM, Kal-El814 said:

Well even if you're not looking any movie stills, the canon's moneylenders/bankers being treasure obsessed, hook nosed goblins is not subtle :p

On 2/3/2023 at 2:32 PM, stepee said:

I’d probably notice that now in 2023 without it being pointed out but I was a naive little 30 year old boy at the time I watched the movies  and I just didn’t connect!

It didn't connect for the same reason it's plausible Rowling didn't realize what she was doing with that one—that it's been a baked-in fantasy trope for so long that people have forgotten where it came from.

9 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I literally didn't even see the Zelda influence until someone on these forums pointed out all the superficial shit that wasn't core to what made Zelda Zelda for me, haha. There's dungeons! And treasure chests! And you upgrade your health! And you fight with a sword! Bitch are we talking about Zelda or just any RPG ever?!

If there was anything I'd compare Darksiders to it would be the Original God of War, not fucking Zelda.

• True 1

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

It didn't connect for the same reason it's plausible Rowling didn't realize what she was doing with that one—that it's been a baked-in fantasy trope for so long that people have forgotten where it came from.

I mean sure, yes, but she was called out for this when the books were published, when the movies came out, etc. Also cultural consultants exist.

So no I don't think JKR or EA are rubbing their hands together thinking they got away with an antisemitism but there's also no real excuse for it anymore either. This is one of the most profitable IPs of the last 50 years and a game being made by one of the biggest publishers on the planet. 

• True 1

I never gave any thought to the goblin stuff before, but it makes sense. I’ve never been a big fantasy buff, but the goblins seemed about like most other portrayals, so maybe it wasn’t deliberate on her part. 

The transphobic stuff was deliberate and it’s what turned me off of her. Sucks because before all that, she had done so much good with her wealth. 

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

The transphobic stuff was deliberate and it’s what turned me off of her

Wait there's transphobic stuff in the Harry Potter lore??? Also that's sad to hear about her bullshit ruining your childhood love of the books. I'm a firm believer that you can separate the art from the artist as long as they don't infuse the work itself with their problematic bullshit. I get that it would leave a sour taste on your mouth. It would be like me discovering Stan Lee was a Klan member.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Wait there's transphobic stuff in the Harry Potter lore??? Also that's sad to hear about her bullshit ruining your childhood love of the books. I'm a firm believer that you can separate the art from the artist as long as they don't infuse the work itself with their problematic bullshit. I get that it would leave a sour taste on your mouth. It would be like me discovering Stan Lee was a Klan member.

No, I’m talking about her comments on trans people. 

I don’t hate HP and I still have my books and a decent few tshirts I wear. It’s just dampened my former enthusiasm for the series.