Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

15 minutes ago, stepee said:

Ok I’m getting excited to play this on friday

Glad to hear. I know you're really upset with the JKR stuff but I was wondering if you were going to play this. It's going to be fuckin awesome. I read practically every review (49 of them) and not only is is stunning for fans but an absolutely excellent open world fantasy game for those who know nothing about the series like myself, too.

Anyway, I’ve played for a little over 5 hours today. Overall, I’m really loving it. It really captures the spirit of this world: one minute you’re in Herbology class, the next you’re assaulting a goblin encampment. :p I have some minor gripes, but nothing that meaningfully detracts from the overall experience. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheLeon said:

Anyway, I’ve played for a little over 5 hours today. Overall, I’m really loving it. It really captures the spirit of this world: one minute you’re in Herbology class, the next you’re assaulting a goblin encampment. :p I have some minor gripes, but nothing that meaningfully detracts from the overall experience. 

Really glad to hear. Friday can't come soon enough.

9 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I was going to wait to play it because I'm playing Final Fantasy X and I just got to the point in the game where all there is to do is the terrible, awful side quests.... so I decided to bit the bullet and give Hogwarts a shot early.

Post impressions then, playa!

There are so many options in this game, and specifically a bunch about disabling notifications and parts of the HUD, but I can’t figure out how to turn the incredibly helpful tips popping up mid combat like “higher level enemies will be harder to defeat” and “equip better items to make fighting easier”. They’re relentless in this section. 

13 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

There are so many options in this game, and specifically a bunch about disabling notifications and parts of the HUD, but I can’t figure out how to turn the incredibly helpful tips popping up mid combat like “higher level enemies will be harder to defeat” and “equip better items to make fighting easier”. They’re relentless in this section. 

How far are you? I didn’t get too much of that.

4 minutes ago, number305 said:

Is that a real thing?  Did they put trans characters in the game to spite her?  

I doubt it was to spite her. Probably just wanted to include more than just Cho Chang Chong and Pavarti Thank-You-Please-Come-Again Patil.

(I know those characters aren't in this game as it's set in the past, it's a joke!)

So I played a bit of this last night on PC, and it runs decent. One thing though, I turned on Frame Generation and got a bunch of screen tearing because I guess it disables vsync. Anyway around this?

Also, if you use a Switch Pro controller, the game does have native support which is really cool, but the face buttons when casting spells are reversed. You can fix it in the Steam controller settings, but then all other face button prompts in the game will be reversed. Appears to be a bug.

Cool game so far though.

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yes. Enable vsync (in the nvda control panel). :p 

lol, I did try this but it was really stuttery. Is there a reason they would disable the in-game vsync option?

Edit: It's really smooth when I turn off frame generation and turn on vsync, it's smooth with frame generation on and vsync off (but of course the tearing), but it's choppy with frame generation on and vsync forced on.

24 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

lol, I did try this but it was really stuttery. Is there a reason they would disable the in-game vsync option?

Edit: It's really smooth when I turn off frame generation and turn on vsync, it's smooth with frame generation on and vsync off (but of course the tearing), but it's choppy with frame generation on and vsync forced on.

It shouldn't be stuttery so I don't know what's going on. Frame gen was originally incompatible with VSYNC but nVidia fixed that via drivers a couple months ago. The other thing you can do is turning off vsync in the control panel and putting a frame limit on that's 3 below your max refresh rate (ie: if 120hz, 117fps)

Finally got my first broom. You can’t fly quite as fast as I would like, but I suppose the Firebolt is still a good hundred years away. 

Other stray observations: 

The incidental dialogue and little scenes you run into while running around the castle are great. I hope there’s enough in there that they don’t get repeated a bunch. 

I thought there was going to be a more rigid day/night cycle where you had to go to bed in your dorm every night, but that seems to stop after the first couple days. If you have to wait until day to start a class or whatever, you can just plop down wherever and take a nap to change the time of day. 

Love that you can always wear your best gear and change it to look like anything else you’ve collected, or just make it invisible. I want to keep wearing the big dumb floppy hat I found in the woods, and not dump it five minutes later just because I found something else that’s 2 defense higher. 

• Halal 2

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

@Bjomesphatyou're running the newest drivers, right?

Im definitely hoping to get this on sale many months from now on PC to try there and on deck, but im happy with the ps5 version.

12 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Finally got my first broom. You can’t fly quite as fast as I would like, but I suppose the Firebolt is still a good hundred years away. 

Other stray observations: 

The incidental dialogue and little scenes you run into while running around the castle are great. I hope there’s enough in there that they don’t get repeated a bunch. 

I thought there was going to be a more rigid day/night cycle where you had to go to bed in your dorm every night, but that seems to stop after the first couple days. If you have to wait until day to start a class or whatever, you can just plop down wherever and take a nap to change the time of day. 

Love that you can always wear your best gear and change it to look like anything else you’ve collected, or just make it invisible. I want to keep wearing the big dumb floppy hat I found in the woods, and not dump it five minutes later just because I found something else that’s 2 defense higher. 

You can upgrade the broom later. Not sure if there are also others.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

It shouldn't be stuttery so I don't know what's going on. Frame gen was originally incompatible with VSYNC but nVidia fixed that via drivers a couple months ago. The other thing you can do is turning off vsync in the control panel and putting a frame limit on that's 3 below your max refresh rate (ie: if 120hz, 117fps)

Sounds like maybe gsync is not working in the game for him? Maybe check if borderless gsync is checked and if the game is running in full screen or borderless?