Ever go back to a game you loved, and destroyed your memories of it?

JosephManderley

When I was about 11 or 12, I was hopelessly addicted to Football Director on the Spectrum.  I played it most days after school.  At weekends I would go to my friends house across the street after breakfast and play until the evening. 

We quite often had to restart, as saving games to a cassette and them actually working next time was a lottery! 

I recently played this again, thanks to emulation, and all I can say is Wow!  I sure was easy to please back then.  The game play is so shallow.  There were no tactics included at all, just pick the players with the highest skill out of 10, and pray to the gods of RNG. 

Games have come a long way! 

That's a tricky one as the games that I grew up with (Master System/NES and SNES/Genesis) have aged, on the whole very well.  Even returning back to early 3D games from the N64, as I've played them fairly consistently since release, they've not been a disappointment. 

The closest though would be Double Dragon the Gameboy.  I had and loved it when I first played it (at about 5 years old), but playing it recently it's not just a basic beat 'em up, but not even a great port of one.  Even then, the waves of nostalgia still help gloss over those facts.

• Like 1

Doesn't typically happen with games that I love, but I have had it happen a few times.

220px-Area_51.jpg

Voice acting from David Duchovny, a decent FPS with a good story line. Went back and played it last year and it wasn't at all how I remembered it.

I'm not sure if its just a case of it aging badly or if my memories of the game were skewed. Probably a little of both.

Nostalgia is a big factor in keeping that from happening. While others you can feel how far we have come.

I remember the XBL Arcade version of Perfect Dark felt so weird and clunky to play, but after a patch to add modern controls it felt fine. 

Destroying my memories happens far more with movies and shows I watched as a kid. Like the 90s Xmen cartoon, or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3. ... so bad ....

It's hard to go back to old RTS games with the low resolution. When I first played Total Annihilation, I played the main game and expansion but didn't play Battle Tactics. Years later after playing Supreme Commander I tried going back to finish Battle Tactics but I couldn't get into it. So little screen space with no ability to zoom out and tons of units where I don't know which ones are worth using. I played the demo of 7th Legion in high school and loved it but when I attempted to play it more recently I couldn't do it.

Early 3D flight/space shooters can be a pain due to the low frame rate. I finished everything except the hard route in the original Star Fox back in the day. As much as I'd like to finish it, with that frame rate the only way I can see myself trying is if there is a remake.

13 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

:notsure:This is about Shenmue, isn't it? 

Shenmue has always been bad.

There are a few old, classic games that seem pretty mean from a requirements perspective, in hindsight. If you don’t know where warp whistles are (and most normal human beings wouldn’t ever find one), finishing Super Mario Bros. 3 in one sitting is asking a lot of someone. A bunch of the old Sierra games relied too much on randomness and fucked you over hard if you didn’t catch something early.

1 hour ago, Hurdyb1 said:

Syphon Filter

I think we all know how great of a game it was growing up. I popped it in recently........and it has not aged well. Graphics are ugh compared to our standards today and the play controls are antiquated making it a tough play now.

I never liked that game cuz the guy ran funny.

• Haha 2

The one that pops into my brain is probably Gran Turismo 2.  After the first game, Gran Turismo 2 was like Aliens to Gran Turismo's Alien. Bigger and more of a fantastic thing. 

I remember going back, maybe after Gran Turismo 5 or something and put number two in and holy fuck! It literally looked like a rolling wave of pixels. I almost threw up just looking at it. 

Doesn't ruin my memories of playing the game, but it was hard to look at. 

Honestly for me, most game's prior to the PS1 era don't really age that well. I remember being burnt out on side scrollers during the SNES/Genesis era so the shift to 3-D really helped keep my interest in gaming going.  I do remember trying to go back to Perfect Dark several years after it was out and absolutely LOATHING it despite loving it before,

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Honestly for me, most game's prior to the PS1 era don't really age that well. I remember being burnt out on side scrollers during the SNES/Genesis era so the shift to 3-D really helped keep my interest in gaming going.  I do remember trying to go back to Perfect Dark several years after it was out and absolutely LOATHING it despite loving it before,

I never really played Perfect Dark growing up so the first time I truly played it was on Rare Replay on Xbox 1. I could see how it was impact full for its time but playing it now made me realize how far first person shooters have came and made me appreciate mechanics that are just automatic in most FPS' today that was even a though back in the day.

On 8/18/2018 at 7:51 PM, Kal-El814 said:

Shenmue has always been bad.

There are a few old, classic games that seem pretty mean from a requirements perspective, in hindsight. If you don’t know where warp whistles are (and most normal human beings wouldn’t ever find one), finishing Super Mario Bros. 3 in one sitting is asking a lot of someone. A bunch of the old Sierra games relied too much on randomness and fucked you over hard if you didn’t catch something early.

wut

Is this actually a thing? I feel like everyone stumbled on at least one just because they had the raccoon suit in that first mini-castle and wanted to fly around.

I actually completely agree with the point, though. Having a save function in World makes it so much better. I've beaten Mario 3 from beginning to end, but I made sure to dedicate an evening to it. :p 

Over 5 years ago I went back to try and play some Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.  I couldn't finish the game, as modern first person shooters have ruined pretty much all older titles.

2 hours ago, Hurdyb1 said:

I never really played Perfect Dark growing up so the first time I truly played it was on Rare Replay on Xbox 1. I could see how it was impact full for its time but playing it now made me realize how far first person shooters have came and made me appreciate mechanics that are just automatic in most FPS' today that was even a though back in the day.

Goldeneye is even rougher.  But the two things that are still impressive about Perfect Dark are,

1) Versatility: The sheer amount of ways to play the game, especially multiplayer.  There are so many modes to choose from, and you can customize everything about deathmatches.  Also I appreciate how every weapon is unique in offering both primary and secondary fire modes.

2) Hit detection on enemies and how they react to being shot. I like how enemies will curse you when you wound them.  I like how you can shoot the gun out of their hands, and then pick up that gun, leaving them unarmed.  I like shooting them in the foot, and then they will hop around on that foot in pain.  Even in today's shooters, hit location (head, chest, arm, legs) is just a damage modifier and enemies hardly react to the difference among them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I like shooting them in the foot, and then they will hop around on that foot in pain.  Even in today's shooters, hit location (head, chest, arm, legs) is just a damage modifier and enemies hardly react to the difference among them.

You forgot the crotch, they will grab their balls and keel over. :p

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I remember loving Yo-Noid as a kid. Would rent it and just thought it was so fun. 

Sometimes youre just wrong. 

I have no idea what that game is.

Now I'm watching a playthrough on Youtube. You must have been a n00b at the pizza eating contests.

5 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

In all seriousness, Bionic Commando for the NES! My god, I thought that game was a classic for all time and then I played it recently and thought, “my god, this is kinda poopy.” :(

Damn, really? Guess that is one not to touch and just live with the Rearmed  version, lol.