The Olympics are gonna be stupid

Well I'm sure conservatives are chomping at the bit to dunk on the USWNT, especially Rapinoe, but they'll be doing it for their own selfish reasons. They were pretty trash this tournament though. Outside of the NZ game, who was by far their weakest opponent, they only scored in one half, getting clean-sheeted 3 times. What an abysmal showing and last night, somehow, the USMNT's C-squad beat Mexico's A-team (pretty much) in the Gold Cup final. This is the upside-down.

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:
megan-rapinoe.jpeg?quality=85&strip=all&
GLOBALNEWS.CA

"Obviously we never want to lose to Canada," said Megan Rapinoe after her team's 'bitter' loss to Canada at the Olympics soccer match.

Definitely an upset.

For sure. The Canadian women have had way better teams than this one, who were pretty much bunkered down in the 2nd half until they got, what I think was, an unworthy penalty.

Can't blame that though cause the US, especially Rapinoe, played like shit for most of the tourney.

Gotta love that the expectations for the best / most competitive athletes and teams are for them to speak publicly about themselves as if they go into every game expecting to be evenly matched, that favorites don’t exist, and that they’re equally surprised by victory or defeat. It’s so fucking dumb.

14 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Gotta love that the expectations for the best / most competitive athletes and teams are for them to speak publicly about themselves as if they go into every game expecting to be evenly matched, that favorites don’t exist, and that they’re equally surprised by victory or defeat. It’s so fucking dumb.

I think it's more about poor sportsmanship. In this case USA was the favourite, but a better response when losing unexpectedly is something like "We were confident, but we couldn't pull through. Congrats to _________ on the win." Obviously inside you are going to be mad at the loss, but sportsmanship matters.

9 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think it's more about poor sportsmanship. In this case USA was the favourite, but a better response when losing unexpectedly is something like "We were confident, but we couldn't pull through. Congrats to _________ on the win." Obviously inside you are going to be mad at the loss, but sportsmanship matters.

Maybe if the Canadians lost they would say something like that but this is AMERICA. We don't say nonsense like that!

Sports is filled to the brim with cliche answers from athletes. I prefer their real feelings, and sportsmanship talk is mostly an obfuscation of anti-black and brown expressions of emotion anyway soooooo, who cares about “sportsmanship”

I don't know the history of anti-black/brown discrimination as it relates to sportsmanship, but in my mind if anyone trash talks another person or team after a game (or before), I don't care to hear about them anymore, or follow them for the same reason I don't want press releases from Pepsi like "Oh yeah we shit all over Coke last quarter. They haven't had any skill in decades." If you can't let results speak for themselves, then don't speak about them.

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Sports is filled to the brim with cliche answers from athletes. I prefer their real feelings, and sportsmanship talk is mostly an obfuscation of anti-black and brown expressions of emotion anyway soooooo, who cares about “sportsmanship”

Nobody actually cares about sportsmanship. Colored athletes are the only ones held to this silly standard and are criticized for straying from it. White athletes that actually hold to that standard, like Tom Brady, are viewed as boring because nobody actually enjoys those interviews.

13 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I don't know the history of anti-black/brown discrimination as it relates to sportsmanship, but in my mind if anyone trash talks another person or team after a game (or before), I don't care to hear about them anymore, or follow them for the same reason I don't want press releases from Pepsi like "Oh yeah we shit all over Coke last quarter. They haven't had any skill in decades." If you can't let results speak for themselves, then don't speak about them.

How exactly is this trash talk, she was pissed they lost to Canada and she said so.

53 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Counterpoint… who cares?

I don’t know why we expect athletes to be monsters on the field and diplomatic as soon as they’re off it.

It’s nice if someone’s wired that way but the expectation is weird.

19 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

This isn’t even trash talk, though.

One of my favorite sport stories when players speak openly. Person telling the story is Roy Keane from Manchester United. 

“I thought I knew what the group might need, that we didn’t need a big team talk,” Keane said. “It was Tottenham at home. I thought please don’t go on about Tottenham, we all know what Tottenham is about, they are nice and tidy but we’ll fucking do them. He came in and said: ‘Lads, it’s Tottenham’, and that was it. Brilliant.”

USWNT should have rolled.  US had a similar issue in another Olympics when they didn’t do enough to refresh the roster. I like Carli Lloyd but she isn’t good enough to be on the team.  The women have too much talent to keep using players at 35+  

55 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

One of my favorite sport stories when players speak openly. Person telling the story is Roy Keane from Manchester United. 

USWNT should have rolled.  US had a similar issue in another Olympics when they didn’t do enough to refresh the roster. I like Carli Lloyd but she isn’t good enough to be on the team.  The women have too much talent to keep using players at 35+  

Honestly, I thought Carli looked way better than Alex, who was somehow worse than Rapinoe. Lloyd and Morgan were subbed for each other in every game at center forward, including the send-off games and friendlies. I heard someone brought up that the 2 extra subs may have affected the coach's decision-making by making sure all the vets got playing time. I think every game the entire forward line was subbed off at the 60-70 minute mark. There's definitely a vet hierarchy there and I'm sure the sponsors love having Rapinoe and Morgan, specifically, on the team.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Huh? How is this even remotely possible?

WWW.MSN.COM

The U.S. men's 4x100 relay team came under heavy criticism from Olympic legend Carl Lewis after failing to qualify for the final in Tokyo.

Team USA does this shit in swimming as well, where they send out runners that they think will just get them to the final where they'll put in their best athletes but fail to account for the fact that what if these guys don't make the final, lol.

4 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

Team USA does this shit in swimming as well, where they send out runners that they think will just get them to the final where they'll put in their best athletes but fail to account for the fact that what if these guys don't make the final, lol.

Big brain strats.

Also I forgot to throw the gauntlet down.

World Cup>>>>>>Olympics