The Olympics are gonna be stupid

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

I'm watching luge right now and can't help but think "this is dumb, how did this become an Olympic sport" then I remember all sorts are really dumb if you think about them too closely.

It's the human form of being those bank tubes and will become a thing people will do in the future!

• Haha 1

Richardson didn’t dispute that she broke the rules, the Russian is being allowed to compete during the appeal and apparently will not be awarded a medal if she were to win one until after the investigation clears her. If she is found to have indeed cheated, she will not be awarded the medal.

It is actually a good thing to do it this way when the failed test wasn’t published until the middle of the games and there is a claim that the athlete did not violate the rules. MLB as an example does not implement punishments until the conclusion of an appeal and the player is allowed to continue competing until their appeal is fully adjudicated.

Ohhh yeah, totally a good idea to let her compete, and lol at trying to blame it on Grandpa.  She won gold by the way so there won't be a ceremony held because that shit isn't going to be hers and this 15 year old is going to be crushed cause some assholes gave her drugs and put her infront of an international audience making a fool of her self.

There is no down side to letting her compete while appealing the results. There is irreparable harm to her career if she is barred from competing and later cleared, even if it seems pretty obvious she will not be cleared and was indeed using banned substances.

20 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

There is no down side to letting her compete while appealing the results. There is irreparable harm to her career if she is barred from competing and later cleared, even if it seems pretty obvious she will not be cleared and was indeed using banned substances.

I don't think you understand how important it is for these athletes to be honored in the Olympics, its literally the only time anyone cares about most of these sports at all, and they've all be robbed of it.  ROC should be barred entirely from the next winter/summer games since they clearly haven't learned anything.

21 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I don't think you understand how important it is for these athletes to be honored in the Olympics, its literally the only time anyone cares about most of these sports at all, and they've all be robbed of it.  ROC should be barred entirely from the next winter/summer games since they clearly haven't learned anything.

I do understand how important sentimental things are to people, but it’s way worse to errantly be barred from a competition. And it’s not even close. This particular case just feels off because it is highly likely the athlete was indeed taking a banned substance 

And this should be the standard for all people in whatever job they hold, that outside of alleged actions that create health and safety dangers to others, people should always be afforded the right to continue working until their appeal is heard.

Spoiler

There will be a ceremony because she choked on her free skate.

1st in the short program but her free skate was full of mistakes and she wound up 4th.

ROC still placed 1st and 2nd without her with Japan taking 3rd.

Women's figure skating just ended

Holy toxicity.

So this was actually quite a bizarre scene afterwards.

Spoiler

According to translators, Valieva was somewhat berated while being consoled as she left the ice. Her coach asked "why she threw it away" while laying criticisms to her routine. Probably not the right time, genius!

Meanwhile, the silver medalist was bitching and moaning that she should have been 1st over her teammate who was basically left alone in the waiting room even though she just won Olympic gold.

I don't know who this tweeter is but the pics sum it up nicely.

The bronze medal-winning Japanese skater was the only true winner here and the only one still happy to be there.

Spoiler

I heard the other day that it's the same lady that coaches all of the ROC female figure skaters. Sounds like a horrible environment. I thought this could happen with Valieva. Going through all of that would be very difficult even as an adult. After her short program she started crying, probably from everything that has been happening. I don't know how long her suspension would be but if she's still able to skate I hope she can get a different trainer.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t think a different trainer will help. This is all part of being a pawn in the propaganda of dictators. 

maybe not with the doping, but there certainly have to be different people available to train her to have her in a better environment. I know the bronze medalist in women's gymnastics who is from Russie switched gyms between 2016 and 2021.

This is a damned fine article:

d9fed060-900e-11ec-997d-c7034ce84bf7
SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

Women’s Olympic skating hit a new low, a cold tragedy of abuse and pain.

The gold medalist sat alone clutching a stuffed bear, her eyes distant and unfocused. The silver medalist appeared lost, her mascara streaked, uncertain what to do next. The fourth-place finisher — the one who was supposed to win gold, the one who had borne the world’s contempt on her 15-year-old shoulders — was nearly inconsolable, surrounded by coaches and attendants.

Women’s Olympic skating hit a new low Thursday night, a cold tragedy of abuse and pain played out over the course of 3 1/2 hours. When it was over, Russians dominated the podium, skaters reached new heights of grace and athleticism, a ceremony bestowed medals on deserving winners … and almost everyone looked as miserable as if they were at a loved one’s funeral.

On this night, though, television perfectly captured the casual cruelty that underlies so much of skating. Millions watched Valieva, tears on her face, her entire life’s work in shards, skate to the edge of the rink … and watched as her black-clad coach, Eteri Tutberidze, immediately critiqued her performance without offering even offer the most basic shreds of empathy or affection. They watched Valieva sob as she waited on the critical judgment of her performance, even as she already knew she’d fallen so far short of everyone’s expectations.

Television can also show just how young these skaters are. As magnificent as they were on the ice, the Russian skaters looked completely adrift and bereft off it. Valieva’s voice hitched as she openly wept, clutching a small stuffed animal. After she learned her fate, she buried her face in her hands and sobbed deeply. Trusova, her mascara smeared, initially refused to go to the podium. Shcherbakova, the gold medalist, sat alone, holding her bear, staring off beyond the camera.

This whole sordid, sorry saga should force the IOC and skating to take a hard look at every element of this sport, from the ages of competitors to the behavior of coaches. But it won’t. Tomorrow, too many coaches will show tonight’s routines to the next generation of skaters — skaters who may not have even reached double digits in age — and they’ll point out Valieva’s flaws rather than her strength. They’ll establish the quad — never performed by a woman in the Olympics before this week — as a bare minimum rather than a career highlight. They’ll keep alive a system in which even an Olympic medal doesn’t bring true joy.

This article could be written about women's gymnastics as well.

• True 1

I know someone whose kid is a figure skater. She’s not good enough for the Olympics, but she’s adjacent to it, can’t do things like quads but does stuff that would have been beyond the expectations of Olympians just a few generations ago. Russian coaches are sought out at this level, specifically for the attitudes being criticized in this article. It’s not exclusively like this, but it’s often very much like it.

Also expecting 15 year olds / children to resist the pressure of a nationally sanctioned doping scheme is fucking ridiculous.

oh man i just watched and it was BRUTAL

i HIGHLY recommend everybody watch the russians skate and the fallout after valiyeva’s program to witness it. 

- valiyeva has a horrible program, tries to fight back tears and gets immediately criticized by her trainer. kid is trying her hardest to not completely lose it with a camera RIGHT in her face for like 15 minutes. every time her trainer says something to her she seems to start to cry even more. THATS ALREADY DRAMA 

- they pull back the curtain as valiyeva starts to leave and is crying more but directly behind her and whoever she is hugging is the silver medalist and that girl is throwing a whole ass FIT about finishing second. says she’s NOT going to the podium this is BULLSHIT.

- valiyeva leaves and they show the gold medalist who looks like a lost puppy and she’s all alone. 

- the japanese skater that got bronze is easily the happiest person there 

- the silver medalist is going ON AND ON. her rage CANNOT BE QUELLED. pretty sure her trainer forced her to go to the podium. commentators didn’t really know what to say about the whole situation. she is complaining about the judging up until she has to go to the podium. silver medalists makeup is all messed up on the podium and she’s fighting back tears up there. 

it was a HOT MESS 

8 minutes ago, johnny said:

i HIGHLY recommend everybody watch the russians skate and the fallout after valiyeva’s program to witness it. 

- valiyeva has a horrible program, tries to fight back tears and gets immediately criticized by her trainer. kid is trying her hardest to not completely lose it with a camera RIGHT in her face for like 15 minutes. every time her trainer says something to her she seems to start to cry even more. THATS ALREADY DRAMA 

- they pull back the curtain as valiyeva starts to leave and is crying more but directly behind her and whoever she is hugging is the silver medalist and that girl is throwing a whole ass FIT about finishing second. says she’s NOT going to the podium this is BULLSHIT.

- valiyeva leaves and they show the gold medalist who looks like a lost puppy and she’s all alone. 

- the silver medalist is going ON AND ON. her rage CANNOT BE QUELLED. pretty sure her trainer forced her to go to the podium. commentators didn’t really know what to say about the whole situation. she is complaining about the judging up until she has to go to the podium. silver medalists makeup is all messed up on the podium and she’s fighting back tears up there. 

it was a HOT MESS 

Link

5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This is a damned fine article:

d9fed060-900e-11ec-997d-c7034ce84bf7
SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

Women’s Olympic skating hit a new low, a cold tragedy of abuse and pain.

This article could be written about women's gymnastics as well.

26 minutes ago, johnny said:

it was a HOT MESS 

seriously, fuck all of this shit. In 2022, what is even the point?