The Olympics are gonna be stupid

10 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

So no sports

Things like "pass the finish line first" or "do thing the fastest or longest" or "score the most points by getting ball through hoop" are okay. But even then, if there are refs, it becomes muddied (though still far less than subjective judges scoring an overall performance).

10 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Things like "pass the finish line first" or "do thing the fastest or longest" or "score the most points by getting ball through hoop" are okay. But even then, if there are refs, it becomes muddied (though still far less than subjective judges scoring an overall performance).

What if everyone had to dance the same routine and you judged them based on the accuracy of it?

Really, in my system it would be narrowed down to:

• Lift heaviest thing
  • Throw thing farthest
  • Jump farthest
  • Jump highest
  • Run distance fastest (one sprint, one long-distance)
  • Swim distance fastest (one spring, one long-distance, no separate events for styles)
  • Pin other person with no strikes (wrestling)

Stuff like that. Only things that rely entirely on the human body, nothing with big equipment or teams or complicated rules. 

15 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

• Lift heaviest thing
  • Throw thing farthest
  • Jump farthest
  • Jump highest
  • Swim distance fastest (one spring, one long-distance, no separate events for styles)

Stuff like that. Only things that rely entirely on the human body, nothing with big equipment or teams or complicated rules. 

In other words, essentially go back to the "original" Olympic Games :p

• Shocked 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

• Lift heaviest thing
  • Throw thing farthest
  • Jump farthest
  • Jump highest

Yeah but if it was limited to that great Canadian athletes like Karen Cockburn would have never had a chance to shine in the spotlight.

5 hours ago, Anathema- said:

This is the result of the situation the IOC and Russia created. Valiyva shouldn't have been allowed to perform. 

Also while I'm here the scoring in figure skating is fucked and also, in its own way, contributed to this situation. The silver medalist was the better ice dancer.

From what I was reading and even the commentators said this, is that she did the harder jumps but had almost no artistry, which the other girl nailed. Figure skating isn't just about jumps. 

I think she was led to believe that if she threw a bunch of hard jumps into her routine that she would win, but the other girl skated almost flawlessly. 

3 hours ago, johnny said:

From what I was reading and even the commentators said this, is that she did the harder jumps but had almost no artistry, which the other girl nailed. Figure skating isn't just about jumps. 

I think she was led to believe that if she threw a bunch of hard jumps into her routine that she would win, but the other girl skated almost flawlessly. 

I could be wrong here but from I understand about figure skating, the short program is generally focused on technical skills like jumps and other elements. Though, I think your limited in how many and what type of jumps you can do. The free skate is more about artistry and choreography and having your technical elements tie into that.