The Olympics are gonna be stupid

Hey if you thought these Olympics were going to be stupid, the Winter olympics start in 6 months in a city too warm to host the outdoor events!

The average high in Beijing is about the same as it was for the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia, and warm weather during those Olympics led many athletes to gripe about the conditions, especially the athletes who competed on snow, which had to be man-made. Olympic officials in Beijing likely will follow a similar path, undertaking a strenuous snow-making endeavor to ensure there is enough.

On Feb. 21, 2021, Beijing had a high temperature of 78 degrees, the highest ever observed there between December and February by a full 10 degrees.

Cross-country, Nordic combined, ski jumping, biathlon and snowboarding events will take place in Zhangjiakou, a ski-resort area some 120 miles from Beijing.

US wins the gold medal count 39-38 with the women's volleyball team winning their 1st ever gold while minutes later, China got the silver in a middleweight boxing match. China has no more events while the US still has one boxing match left.

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, Comet said:

Lowest ratings in a long time. Who the fuck even cares anymore? (I stopped caring now that professional hockey players aren’t playing anymore)

I feel like winter olympics really lacks the star power and the must-see events

You have shaun white still competing. They are trying to make Mikaela Shifrin a thing. Literally can't think of any other American competing that could be well-known. USA struggles in women's figure skating so it's irrelevant to the country. 

6 hours ago, Comet said:

Lowest ratings in a long time. Who the fuck even cares anymore? (I stopped caring now that professional hockey players aren’t playing anymore)

Doesn't like less than half the country still have cable TV? Olympics were good background noise, but I'm not paying for live TV for the Olympics. I'd go out of my way to watch the Super Bowl without cable. I'm not doing that for the Olympics of any season. Putting them behind a Peacock paywall is cool.

7 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

How can something that only happens once every 4 years feel like it's happening all time fucking time?

4 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Because the Summer and Winter games no longer occur in the same year and instead occur every other even-numbered year.

Also the 2020 Olympics happened in 2021 so it's two years in a row this time around—it's not even 6 months since the summer Olympics ended.

27 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Because the Summer and Winter games no longer occur in the same year and instead occur every other even-numbered year.

At the time, I was very upset that there would be no 20th anniversary of the Miracle on Ice seeing as how the winter games would be in 1998 and 2002. Of course that didn't matter much when the NHL sent players starting in '98 thus negating the main reason why it was a miracle was because it college players vs. the best team of seasoned professionals.

Of course, also, then the US team of "professionals" utterly embarrassed themselves on and off the ice by getting eliminated earlier than anticipated and then destroying the hotel rooms at the Olympic village.

I'll admit, I'm not a knowledgeable fellow. I turned the games on for a few minutes earlier today. The athletes were skiing very quickly to a snowy gun range, with rifles on their backs, and then shot 5 rounds at a target. 

The fuck is that event?! It definitely caught me off guard.

6 minutes ago, Derek said:

I'll admit, I'm not a knowledgeable fellow. I turned the games on for a few minutes earlier today. The athletes were skiing very quickly to a snowy gun range, with rifles on their backs, and then shot 5 rounds at a target. 

The fuck is that event?! It definitely caught me off guard.

Biathlon. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 69los said:

I've seen a lot of photos of how unauthentic or un-winter these Olympics look but this one takes the cake.

FK9hSgbXsAEqxfj?format=jpg&name=large

Thats because Beijing isn't a cold weather city, and its extremely dry in the winter so it never snows so all of it needs to be made, it was a stupid fucking decision to host it there.