~*Official Thread of America's Return to Thoughts & Prayers Normalcy*~

Apparently the gun used was a “pistol” style of the AR-15 platform. So super deadly weapon also comes in a fun size version for easier concealment. Like, there is literally no reason for such a thing to exist other than for mass shooters.

Yeah, I was confused when they said it was a pistol... then I did some research and now I hate everything.

The AR-15 pistol is the same exact gun, but with a 10" barrel and no stock. Gun companies pulled some shenanigans to get them legally classified as pistols so people can bypass the extra background checks on assault rifles.

It's the exact same fucking gun. It's an Ar-15. It's a fucking joke.

To me there isn't much difference between a semi automatic handgun and a semi automatic rifle. Rifles typically have a higher magazine capacity and longer barrels, but I have to think the Atlanta shooter could just as easily done what he did with a handgun as with an assault rifle. He wasn't shooting 25 people in one place, he was going from place to place.

I wonder what would happen if for once one of these spree shooters was a black man.

23 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

To me there isn't much difference between a semi automatic handgun and a semi automatic rifle. Rifles typically have a higher magazine capacity and longer barrels, but I have to think the Atlanta shooter could just as easily done what he did with a handgun as with an assault rifle. He wasn't shooting 25 people in one place, he was going from place to place.

I wonder what would happen if for once one of these spree shooters was a black man.

Kori-Ali-Muhammad-Caro-e1583954144746.jp
THEGRIO.COM

Kori Ali Muhammad is accused of killing four people in Fresno, Calif. and confessed to detectives in a recorded interview that he intentionally targeted white people

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Apparently the gun used was a “pistol” style of the AR-15 platform. So super deadly weapon also comes in a fun size version for easier concealment. Like, there is literally no reason for such a thing to exist other than for mass shooters.

It's a pistol in name only - it's still gigantic compared to even the largest "real" pistols on the market.   

Here is the AR pistol I built last year, compared to my 9mm pistol.  Banana for scale:

twD1j8f.jpg

1 hour ago, Air_Delivery said:

You would think they would use an either/or type of classification. Like if it uses rifle ammo or if it has a barrel over a certain length. 

To be considered a rifle, it needs a buttstock and a barrel length over 16 inches. 

It would be a "short barreled rifle" if it has a buttstock and a barrel length under 16 inches (also requires a $200 tax stamp and a 3 to 6 month wait)

It is a pistol if: It was never originally manufactured as a rifle, has no buttstock, and a barrel length less than 16 inches.

This is all based on the 1930's era National Firearms Act which regulated machine guns, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, and silencers. 

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm not a gun guy but that smaller pistol appears to be broken?

Also that's just proving the point of how absurd that loophole is if that thing qualifies as a pistol for legal purposes.

Most semi-auto pistols have a barrel that pivots like that - it's part of how the action works and how the breach can remain locked in battery when a round is fired.  There are videos on youtube that can explain it better than I can.  

Edit:  The reason there is even a classification for short barreled rifles and shotguns in the NFA, was because when Congress was originally drafting this legislation, they intended to include handguns in the act.  In order to prevent a loophole situation from happening, Congress added the short barreled definition, so people wouldn't just go and buy a small-ish rifle (not subject to NFA), and hack off the buttstock and most of the barrel.  

Ultimately the pistol language was removed, but for whatever reason the short barreled language stayed in and became law. 

33 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:
Kori-Ali-Muhammad-Caro-e1583954144746.jp
THEGRIO.COM

Kori Ali Muhammad is accused of killing four people in Fresno, Calif. and confessed to detectives in a recorded interview that he intentionally targeted white people

I suppose it's a problem that we have so many mass shootings that I haven't even heard of some of them:thinking:

4 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I suppose it's a problem that we have so many mass shootings that I haven't even heard of some of them:thinking:

Probably because they both went on shooting sprees. I'm actually not sure if the Atlanta shooter is technically a mass murder either. Mass shootings usually involve shooting around four or more people as you can in as short a time as possible. I guess the Atlanta shooter might count here. These two guys ran around and shot one person here, one person there, and so on. Like, they're all terrible people, but they likely won't show up listed below...

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

Oh, hey look, 15 people shot in Chicago eleven days ago.

GGCmassshooting.png?w=900
CHICAGOMONITOR.COM

CHICAGO — At least 15 people were shot at a party Sunday morning in Chicago’s Greater Grand Crossing neighborhood, leaving at least two people dead, according to police. Police say 39-year-old Lionel...

I didn't know about that one...or the 8 in Dallas this past Saturday...

aasuspect-6.jpg?w=1080
DFW.CBSLOCAL.COM

Police said Rogers, 21, is wanted for murder and seven counts of aggravated assaults with a deadly weapon.

I guess the are so many of them in the US, they don't make national news unless more than a few people die.

3 hours ago, ort said:

Yeah, I was confused when they said it was a pistol... then I did some research and now I hate everything.

The AR-15 pistol is the same exact gun, but with a 10" barrel and no stock. Gun companies pulled some shenanigans to get them legally classified as pistols so people can bypass the extra background checks on assault rifles.

It's the exact same fucking gun. It's an Ar-15. It's a fucking joke.

This is why gun nuts got upset when new stories went around talking about AR rifles and this and that. And they were like :nerd: "Well AR is just the brand you can't ban this" or something like that.

53 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This is why gun nuts got upset when new stories went around talking about AR rifles and this and that. And they were like :nerd: "Well AR is just the brand you can't ban this" or something like that.

If you ever wanna make a conservative cry, just tell em that the AR stands for assault rifle. They will dissolve into a pillar of salt faster than Lot's wife.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Has there been any further information about the perpetrator of this abomination?  Because I really haven't heard any more about him (admittedly, I've not been paying close attention).

The guy isn’t white, so nobody cares anymore.

3 minutes ago, Dodger said:

The guy isn’t white, so nobody cares anymore.

What's wild is that it's not even a focus for Fox News either, but I'm assuming the issue there is that he isn't brown enough to tick the right boxes on their outrage machine. Either that or it was too close to the last shooting and they don't want their viewers to think mass shootings are an issue in this country.

9 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

What's wild is that it's not even a focus for Fox News either, but I'm assuming the issue there is that he isn't brown enough to tick the right boxes on their outrage machine. Either that or it was too close to the last shooting and they don't want their viewers to think mass shootings are an issue in this country.

From what I’ve seen he hated Trump quite a bit and is a Syrian immigrant so you would think they’d be all over some Trump hating leftist immigrant killing ten white people, but he is pretty light skinned so maybe it is too hard to get the outrage meter up.

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Here's a fresh one

Feels reminiscent of Chris Benoit.

I know conservatives love to use the mental health thing as a cure all distraction for shootings, but in this case I have a strong suspicion what this guy's CT scans would look like...

I do think it is fair to point out that white perp/minority victim stories tend to be assumed to be part of a larger story when they usually aren’t while the reverse is treated as the individual event it is. It’s mostly just laziness on the part of our media. 

On 3/26/2021 at 12:03 AM, Air_Delivery said:

I think its more the guy was clearly a nutcase so there is no real narrative to paint other than it highlights the need for background checks. 

As always it’s worth noting that the overwhelming majority of gun violence is not committed by the mentally ill, and the overwhelming majority of mentally ill people are not violent.

We need better mental health services but counting on them to catch people who would commit gun violence before they do so is like filtering your coffee grounds through a sieve.