Update: Senate shelves the BBB Act

8 minutes ago, Joe said:

Yep. I don’t see how the progressive wing got played if they voted against it.

The entire process was gamed by moderates to strip meaningful things from the infrastructure bill (and BBB). By playing along and making compromises over and over, progressives allowed the IB to get to a point where moderates were willing to pass...but only if BBB was delayed. The playing along and compromising (as if the moderates would ever act in good faith) is how they got played. In the end they (progressives) votes against the IB, but it was too late, the bill had been stripped down and passed anyway. And now the moderates are free to scuttle BBB as much as they want because there is no more leverage over them.

• Guillotine 1

54 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

I think they're set to vote on BBB next week? Like, they already held a vote to schedule the vote. That's basically within 24 legislative hours. I'm nervous too but let's not go looking for excuses to be performatively pessimistic. 

I thought House was on recess even though CBO should have scored it by then.

I'm quite nervous about that since BBB is a more important bill. Everything Riley mentioned is something I was nervous about happening; I hope all this hand-wringling pays off with BBB.

But I guess the only thing I can do is contact my reps and tell them to vote.

1636656670768_n_mitchell_pl_summers_2111
WWW.MSNBC.COM

Lawrence Summers, the former director of Obama's national economic council, says not spending enough on Biden's Build Back Better agenda because we spent too much on Covid-19 recovery would be a "tragic error." On the difference between the bills, he explains that "what we did at the beginning of this year was unpaid for and without impact on future economic growth because it didn't represent investment. What we're going to do is...

He's not concerned about inflation via BBB. His opinion is that he opposed the bill earlier this year because it didn't represent investment, but BBB is investment and paid off and shouldn't be trimmed down.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: BIF to be signed into law by Biden today, CBO to score BBB on November 19
17 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

If we want European levels of social programs, we are going to need European levels of taxation - which can't be accomplished with just taxing billionaires. You'll need a sharp increase in tax rates for pretty much every tax bracket, and maybe even something like a VAT.  

BBB wouldn't get us anywhere near there and simply not giving rich coastal elites a tax break would nearly be enough to cover this spending based on the tax increases on the table

Reading an interview excerpt from Coons. He seems pretty confident in this.

Reporter: Do you believe that the house can pass that part two this week? And when do you think the stomach can actually take that up, what's your goal?

Sen. Chris Coons: "But look, there's some process issues we have to work through in terms of the bird bath and the privileged scrub. I'm confident the house can and will pass the next step, which is the build back better bill and that when it gets to the Senate, we'll take it up and pass it. First. We're going to pass the defense authorization bill, which is an also really important must pass bill before the end of the year. But between these three bills, the bipartisan infrastructure bill, president Biden, just signed into law and the build back better bill, which we're going to get done in the next few weeks. And the defense authorization act. This is going to be a remarkable and to a very successful first year of the Biden presidency."

Reporter: So what is the chance do you think that build back better does get pushed into next year?"

Sen. Chris Coons: "Very small. I think it's going to get done."

Reporter: "You were just talking to Senator Manchin, obviously he's got, he has some, some concerns about the impact of inflation and he's made those concerns known now publicly. Do you believe that those concerns that he has can slow down this process?"

Sen. Chris Coons: "You'd have to speak to him, but I'll say based on a number of things I've read, um, both the infrastructure bill that was just signed into law and the build back better bill, which is fully paid for, um, can help reduce the inflationary costs facing your average middle American family. That's part of the point of the build back better. Bill is the cost to keep families up at night. The cost of medicine of health care of elder care, um, of pre-K are gonna go down as a result of passing that bill. Thank you very much."

It would be cool if we could regularly pass more narrowly tailored spending bills instead of everything having to be these huge multifaceted things where it ends up being all or nothing :/