Update: Senate shelves the BBB Act

23 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Legit question—does the Democratic Party as a whole have any actual policy proposals/beliefs, in terms of wanting to win so they can accomplish them? Because in most countries, big parties have beliefs about how things should be run (and improvements that can be made), and then they campaign on them and then actualize them. It's not always perfect, but...even for someone like Justin Trudeau, who is seen as bag of hot air, he accomplished something like 75-80% of his campaign promises in his first term, and has since expanded on many of those things.

What were the 75%-80% of campaign promises he's accomplished?

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Click the link to see the list! You can even sort by policy type (education, climate change, culture, etc). Here's the link for the 2015-2019 term:

https://www.polimeter.org/en/trudeau?gb=ungrouped&sb=progress_desc&t[]=16

Yeah, I clicked right after posting because I like to do things backwards. :p 

But I'm still not satisfied. Lemme put it another way:

Some of the promises that are considered kept are things like: “We will ground these efforts [to conserve our land and oceans] in science, Indigenous knowledge, and local perspectives”

I mean... that's not hard to do. You don't even have to pass anything big to technically keep this promise.

The U.S. is far behind Canada in a social safety net that helps middle and lower class working folk and requires a very ambitious agenda. Considering Biden's goals are basically making us into some kind of Canada, he's trying to work on a lot with 50/50 majorities. What are Tredeau's restraints in parliament and getting votes and is his agenda as ambitious as Biden's?

25 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Yeah, I clicked right after posting because I like to do things backwards. :p 

But I'm still not satisfied. Lemme put it another way:

Some of the promises that are considered kept are things like: “We will ground these efforts [to conserve our land and oceans] in science, Indigenous knowledge, and local perspectives”

I mean... that's not hard to do. You don't even have to pass anything big to technically keep this promise.

The U.S. is far behind Canada in a social safety net that helps middle and lower class working folk and requires a very ambitious agenda. Considering Biden's goals are basically making us into some kind of Canada, he's trying to work on a lot with 50/50 majorities. What are Tredeau's restraints in parliament and getting votes and is his agenda as ambitious as Biden's?

Trudeau's main restraint (from the 2019 election as well as 2021 election) is that he doesn't have a majority of seats in Parliament, which means he has to work with at least one other party to accomplish his goals. Most of the time this means working with the NDP, which is further to the left of the Liberals. However, sometimes the NDP doesn't like what the Liberals want (and the Conservatives almost always don't like what the Liberals want).

In terms of ambition...it's hard to compare. Trudeau's biggest accomplishment (in terms of legacy) is likely his national expansion of subsidized daycare. He forged agreements this year to effectively reduce the price of childcare to $10/day, everywhere in Canada. This is up to an 80% reduction in out-of-pocket expense for some parents. It's a giant social program. He also expanded the Canada Child Benefit (similar to what Biden/DNC tried) which is a tax-free payment of up to $570/mo for each child a family has. He did not originate this program, however.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's not always perfect, but...even for someone like Justin Trudeau, who is seen as bag of hot air, he accomplished something like 75-80% of his campaign promises in his first term, and has since expanded on many of those things.

I really don't believe that a comparison can effectively be made in this way between a Westminster-style parliamentary system (where the PM is the party leader) such as the one in Canada and whatever the hell it is that passes for a government in the United States.

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I really don't believe that a comparison can effectively be made in this way between a Westminster-style parliamentary system (where the PM is the party leader) such as the one in Canada and whatever the hell it is that passes for a government in the United States.

This is absolutely true. The American system is designed to make governing harder, and it works quite well. Imagine a world where the US lost the revolution but then gained independence 60-70 years later as a parliamentary democracy.

4 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Our system is so dysfunctional we don't even use it when installing "democracy" in countries we've bombed into freedom. 

9 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

All so voting rights can languish for months on end 

lol it didn't even take 24 hours 

gettyimages-1359231741-1.jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

The Arizona Democrat is not willing to entertain changes to the 60-vote threshold in order to pass elections reform, as some of her colleagues are discussing.