Update: Senate shelves the BBB Act

7 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

Unsurprisingly, the people who are still going to be alive when the shit really hits the fan really want to get a bill passed.

If they want to write a letter that means something, they should write about how Pelosi and Schumer are terrible and need to be replaced by people who aren't afraid of Republicans.

• 8 months later...
On 10/28/2021 at 5:12 PM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Even the idiots at Sunrise call the climate provisions "good". We might even hit our Paris target with this!

On 10/28/2021 at 5:12 PM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I'll be next in line to say that we need rx drug negotiation and paid leave (the good program) but it's better to get something than nothing and live to fight another day. Biden really needs to sell to people disappointed that the answer is not despair but to elect more and better democrats! Everyone has been waiting for their "turn" to get major item X (which is absolutely needed) passed but we have not enough good Dems to do it, we need more. If we get more Dems we can get to that issue and do it right

Would just like to say, looking at everything in retrospect, this is almost exactly what happened -- rx drug negotiation, climate. Add insulin price caps for Medicare recipients as well. Had to get through a REAAALLLLYY disappointing stretch, but progress takes time if people try.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Would just like to say, looking at everything in retrospect, this is almost exactly what happened -- rx drug negotiation, climate. Add insulin price caps for Medicare recipients as well. Had to get through a REAAALLLLYY disappointing stretch, but progress takes time if people try.

Yay the world will still be habitable long enough for it to become the handmaid's tale.

• Guillotine 1
  • True 1

On 3/31/2021 at 10:01 AM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

also this is different than the surface transportation reauthorization which is up for renewal in the fall. 

This is a good plan but should be bigger

Sorry, this thread has been such a ride to go through, so some of y'all are gonna get quoted in a thread you may have forgotten about.

Man, it's actually cool to see how much of these priorities that were discussed in early 2021 actually did make it. I'm not happy that we couldn't at least get one of universal pre-K or paid leave, which would have been fantastic, but all of this was a BFD and made it despite sometimes seeing things get taken out that actually made it. Like this:

On 9/15/2021 at 3:33 PM, Jason said:

Seemed like it was flucked, but wasn't by summer 2022. That's what I find fascinating with this thread -- seeing a timeline of what was proposed, what was taken out, put in, etc. etc., and then what was signed into law. By all accounts, I can't blame someone in September 2021 for thinking that Medicare drug negotiation wouldn't happen, but it eventually did.

The sausage getting made is a hell of a thing to see in retrospect.

On 3/31/2021 at 10:15 AM, CitizenVectron said:

The more I hear about how great this is, the more I need to settle with the fact that the GOP + Machin will kill it.

On 9/16/2021 at 7:26 PM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Neither bill is going to be passed, quote me now

I QUOTE!

Not to rub it in that the predictions were wrong, but isn't it great when good things happen? :sun: 

26 minutes ago, Chadatog said:

Yay the world will still be habitable long enough for it to become the handmaid's tale.

On 4/4/2023 at 8:34 AM, SaysWho? said:

Sometimes I feel my progressive buddies are like romantics — the chase of getting things done is more exciting than the thing itself.

Part of the beauty of not settling for bad, but also part of the problem with not recognizing progress as it comes.

11 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Sorry, this thread has been such a ride to go through, so some of y'all are gonna get quoted in a thread you may have forgotten about.

Man, it's actually cool to see how much of these priorities that were discussed in early 2021 actually did make it. I'm not happy that we couldn't at least get one of universal pre-K or paid leave, which would have been fantastic, but all of this was a BFD and made it despite sometimes seeing things get taken out that actually made it. Like this:

Seemed like it was flucked, but wasn't by summer 2022. That's what I find fascinating with this thread -- seeing a timeline of what was proposed, what was taken out, put in, etc. etc., and then what was signed into law. By all accounts, I can't blame someone in September 2021 for thinking that Medicare drug negotiation wouldn't happen, but it eventually did.

The sausage getting made is a hell of a thing to see in retrospect.

I QUOTE!

Not to rub it in that the predictions were wrong, but isn't it great when good things happen? :sun: 

I wasn’t expecting manchin to have a face turn!

• True 1