Update: Senate shelves the BBB Act

40 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Fuck it. Let it all burn. I really don’t care anymore.

This. I am just gonna not worry about it for now. Country is fucked and it's better for my mental health to not worry about it. If worse comes to worse sell the house and skipping off to Canada or Colombia.

• True 2

2 minutes ago, brucoe said:

As I was saying before, with BBB, the Democrats still had a huge hill to climb. Without it, be ready for a decade of Republicans completely running the government with one crazy after another becoming president. #Winning

I will once again point out that the Democrats being controlled opposition would explain pretty much everything.

54 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Annnnnnnd it’s dead

This was always the fate of the bill. I mentioned previously that the assumption is the bill never even gets taken up since they don’t have even the 50 Ds on board

From a story earlier this week:

The decision is also in part because Senate Democrats haven’t finished negotiating the bill. Provisions on state and local taxes and the methane rule remain undecided. Senate Democrats also haven’t finished clearing all the procedural hurdles necessary to hold a vote.

Two congressional sources said a vote could be delayed until March. The sources asked to speak anonymously in order to provide frank assessments of internal discussions.

Legit question—does the Democratic Party as a whole have any actual policy proposals/beliefs, in terms of wanting to win so they can accomplish them? Because in most countries, big parties have beliefs about how things should be run (and improvements that can be made), and then they campaign on them and then actualize them. It's not always perfect, but...even for someone like Justin Trudeau, who is seen as bag of hot air, he accomplished something like 75-80% of his campaign promises in his first term, and has since expanded on many of those things.

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Legit question—does the Democratic Party as a whole have any actual policy proposals/beliefs, in terms of wanting to win so they can accomplish them? Because in most countries, big parties have beliefs about how things should be run (and improvements that can be made), and then they campaign on them and then actualize them. It's not always perfect, but...even for someone like Justin Trudeau, who is seen as bag of hot air, he accomplished something like 75-80% of his campaign promises in his first term, and has since expanded on many of those things.

There are three pretty distinct things at play: the party platform, the presidential candidate platform, and the aggregate of the individual congressional platforms.

The only one that can be effectuated to any large degree unilaterally is the presidential platform with regards to the administrative nature of the position. Any aspects of those various platforms needing legislation to pass is difficult under our current customs and norms like the senate filibuster. The Dems also have a more difficult time legislatively due to the makeup of their caucus, which is much broader from fairly conservative to solidly liberal. The GOP generally only has to deal with fairly conservative to solidly conservative members in each chamber, with the House increasingly being only solidly conservative.