Update: Senate shelves the BBB Act

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Pelosi has added the four weeks of paid family and medical leave back into social spending bill.

211028143728-01-pelosi-weekly-presser-10
WWW.CNN.COM

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, in a major shift, announced on Wednesday that four weeks of paid family and medical leave will be added back into the social spending bill, after Democrats had previously scrapped the provision from the...

holy shit

Pelosi had insisted for months, including to CNN just this week, she would only move a bill that can pass the Senate. She wanted to spare her moderates a tough vote twice, though that no longer seems to be the case.

In her Dear Colleague letter announcing the decision, Pelosi said paid family and medical leave are being added back into the bill, but also says she is committed to only passing a bill in the House that can also pass the Senate.”

The article suggests the senate can still strip it out, which is true. Still, I’d rather it be in the House bill.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Pelosi had insisted for months, including to CNN just this week, she would only move a bill that can pass the Senate. She wanted to spare her moderates a tough vote twice, though that no longer seems to be the case.

In her Dear Colleague letter announcing the decision, Pelosi said paid family and medical leave are being added back into the bill, but also says she is committed to only passing a bill in the House that can also pass the Senate.”

The article suggests the senate can still strip it out, which is true. Still, I’d rather it be in the House bill.

Putting it in the House bill places the onus on the Senate to strip it out.  It's absolutely a pressure tactic.

WWW.MSN.COM

Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.) on Wednesday criticized a proposal under discussion for Democrats' social-spending bill to repeal the cap on the state and local tax (SALT) deduction, expressing concerns that the proposal would amount to a budget gimmick that would largely benefit the wealthy.Democrats are looking at fully repealing the $10,000 cap for five years, and offsetting the cost of doing so by reimposing the cap in subsequent...

Can't you just... you know... raise the cap? Don't completely repeal it, just raise it to like $20000 or something?

The SALT cap actually kind of fucked me over the past year. I started doing my taxes by hand because I was tired of giving Turbo Tax money when I'm no longer getting a refund. But I screwed up and deducted all my local taxes (the part of the form says "Enter smaller of line 5d or $10000) and I entered the higher number. Ended up getting a letter from the IRS that caught that and I had to send more money. Raising the SALT cap by $5000-10000 would capture a decent chunk of the middle class.

40 minutes ago, Jason said:
GettyImages-1133491900-crop.jpg?auto=com
THEINTERCEPT.COM

The former senator, now a leader with the dark-money group No Labels, is still proud of himself for killing the public option.

I hope all 3 of them get COVID, AIDS, and cancer all at once and at the same time.

106970882-1636043916567-pel.jpg?v=163604
WWW.CNBC.COM

The nonpartisan Joint Committee on Taxation released its initial analysis of Democrats' Build Back Better bill, fulfilling a key demand of House moderates.

The nonpartisan Joint Committee on Taxation released its initial analysis of Democrats’ major social spending and climate bill Thursday, judging that the “Build Back Better Act” would raise $1.48 trillion in revenue over a decade and be unlikely to add to the deficit long term.

The results are a boon for Democrats, and the report itself clears one of the last remaining hurdles keeping the House from holding a vote on the bill — a demand by moderates to see at least one major nonpartisan analysis of the bill’s effects.

The JCT and the Congressional Budget Office both traditionally evaluate the impacts of major legislation on the federal budget, and their assessments carry weight with lawmakers on both sides of the aisle. It was not clear Thursday when the CBO would release its report.

• Like 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: non-partisan Joint Committee on Taxation analysis reports that BBB is "unlikely" to add to the deficit in the long-term

The JCT and the Congressional Budget Office both traditionally evaluate the impacts of major legislation on the federal budget, and their assessments carry weight with lawmakers on both sides of the aisle. It was not clear Thursday when the CBO would release its report.

I fully expect multiple GOP members of congress to call the CBO biased on the heels of this.

Let's do it this time.

211028143728-01-pelosi-weekly-presser-10
WWW.CNN.COM

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said in a closed-door meeting with Democrats that her plan is to hold a vote on President Joe Biden's economic agenda bill Thursday night, and then hold a vote on the bipartisan infrastructure bill Friday morning, according to two sources.

• Like 1