Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

41 minutes ago, Brick said:

I can't help but wonder if and how the election results would be different if the pandemic wasn't a thing that happened and 300 thousand Americans didn't die. 

Landslide for Trump.

Great economy despite Trump’s craziness. Biden would have had no chance. 

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Landslide for Trump.

The fed pumping billions into the stock market artificially inflating the economy. But yeah, if Covid didn’t happen, or Trump actually treated it seriously, he’d have trounced Biden. Sad as that is. 

Biden and Dems would have been able to mobilize a better ground game had it not been for Covid, which may have closed the gap a bit, but there wouldn’t be as much hatred of Trump or fear of his second term to energize enough Dems to actually get off their ass and vote. 

2 hours ago, MarSolo said:

Landslide for Trump.

Which is a scary statement of the identity of the nation or the overall apathy with regards to the folks in charge... Covid or mo Covid there are hundreds of reasons for Trump to have been voted out..

maybe this racist corrupt hateful mess is who America really is? Its just on the surface now?

I hope not

3 hours ago, MarSolo said:

Landslide for Trump.

2 hours ago, Brick said:

I wonder if Biden would even still have been the Democrat nominee had the virus not been a thing. 

1 hour ago, Comet said:

Agreed. 

Biden was soaring way ahead of Bernie before this whole virus/lockdown thing started, so Biden was going to be our nominee, and his "return to normal" thing obviously connected with Democrats.

As far as the election, Trump was as popular on Election Day as he was prior to the pandemic. And I don't mean personal popularity; I mean approval ratings. There's not much difference at all between March and November.

When we talk about how the election would have gone had the virus not been a thing, we begin with a faulty premise. The premise should be, "If Trump was halfway competent, would he have won?" New Zealand's prime minister won reelection in a landslide. And his approval rating went up somewhat in late March when the lockdowns began. What killed him wasn't the virus; it was the fact that he did as good a job handling the pandemic as he did everything else in his presidency.

Meaning he sucked and people were tired of listening to his voice anyway.

As I said in my elated rant much, MUCH earlier in this thread, Trump would have won if he actually listened to the smart people in the room for once in his life and took the coronavirus seriously.  But of course he failed, and it's thanks to him that wearing a mask during a fucking pandemic is now considered a political statement.

14 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

When we talk about how the election would have gone had the virus not been a thing, we begin with a faulty premise. The premise should be, "If Trump was halfway competent, would he have won?" New Zealand's prime minister won reelection in a landslide. And his approval rating went up somewhat in late March when the lockdowns began. What killed him wasn't the virus; it was the fact that he did as good a job handling the pandemic as he did everything else in his presidency.

I always like to game out "what would have happened under a president Hillary" and the odds of her getting a fourth impeachment and near conviction in a 58-42 senate over, say, 10,000 dead due to covid just seems about right on the nose to me

2 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

Which is a scary statement of the identity of the nation or the overall apathy with regards to the folks in charge... Covid or mo Covid there are hundreds of reasons for Trump to have been voted out..

maybe this racist corrupt hateful mess is who America really is? Its just on the surface now?

I hope not

No maybe about it. I'm shocked you still have any doubts. We're a young society with very little of our own actual culture, and a brutal history we would rather ignore than reckon with. America is all about "Fuck you, I got mine."

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Biden was soaring way ahead of Bernie before this whole virus/lockdown thing started, so Biden was going to be our nominee, and his "return to normal" thing obviously connected with Democrats.

As far as the election, Trump was as popular on Election Day as he was prior to the pandemic. And I don't mean personal popularity; I mean approval ratings. There's not much difference at all between March and November.

were they tired though? arent the millions of votes tied in to his sale of Covid19 not being that serious.. that the need for masks was a hoax and an attack on freedom? I associate his handling of the virus as being right in line with what hes been peddling the entire time... so he didnt mishandle it as much as he did as expected as his base votes showed..

28 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

were they tired though? arent the millions of votes tied in to his sale of Covid19 not being that serious.. that the need for masks was a hoax and an attack on freedom? I associate his handling of the virus as being right in line with what hes been peddling the entire time... so he didnt mishandle it as much as he did as expected as his base votes showed..

His base is irrelevant. The whole point of a base is to have a base of support that you build on; they’re not going anywhere.

On the other hand, there are 81 million reasons why people were sick of him. His approval ratings were relatively stable. That means that a lot of people wanted him gone back then, and a lot of people were part of a cult. Unfortunately for the latter, they were significantly more people who want him gone forever than not.

The fact that there is no difference between early March and early November is evidence of this. He did nothing during the pandemic to convince most of America he deserved to be in the White House.

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Who cares do it anyway this shit is unacceptable

100%

There's also enormous strategic value in grinding everything to a halt with impeachment until the 20th. Just have the House vote on it and then send it to Chuck and just fucking dick around with hearings until the 20th.