~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

They are playing with fire fucking around with these $1,400 dollar checks.

I think they could have done the $1,400 and had a little pushback and maybe deserved some of that after driving home the $2,000 over and over... but if they start screwing with income levels and other stuff, at some point it's going to bite them in the ass.

One month in and you can see the writing on the wall, the GOP will take the House in 22 as the Biden admin struggles with the realities of the faltering economy and Dem congressional leadership fail to whip their caucus into the sorts of legislation needed. Major change needed in the Dem leadership if they don’t want to get demolished in 22.

16 minutes ago, Subzwari1987 said:

AOC and her squad are the future of the Democratic Party. And Pelosi and all the old farts in the party will hold them back as long as possible. 

But then the big buck donor money might dry up. :(

46 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Dare Manchin to vote against a bill the Republican governor of his state supports and probably thinks isn't enough anyway.

I can't disagree with this at all. Is he gonna be the one that makes sure no one gets checks? Hell no. It's not like this is the GND or M4A, this is a phenomenally popular thing even his wva

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

The Democrats don't lose because more people agree with the Republicans, they tend to lose because Republicans get really enthusiastic about what their politicians do and Democrats don't, and it's because of stuff like this.  They talked of going it alone despite the Republicans objections but then compromise the shit out of it anyway just to eek out a loss from a win.

10 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

The headline omitted its likely going to be dropped cause it doesn't conform with reconciliations budgetary rules.  So unless they convince people like Manchin or Sinema to nuke the filibuster they're going to have to work within those rules.

So basically, it's not happening.

It’s amazing. Same thing I thought about Trump and the GOP last year. You have an opportunity for completely legal bribery of the electorate and you’re falling on your face to avoid it

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

It’s amazing. Same thing I thought about Trump and the GOP last year. You have an opportunity for completely legal bribery of the electorate and you’re falling on your face to avoid it

The difference is, the GOP also packed the courts and got 3 SCOTUS judges.  The Dems will end up with nothing, and I predict in 2024 the GOP will hold the House, the Senate, and the POTUS, and they'll replace Breyer after he croaks.

I think it's okay to give Manchin and Sinema the space to prove their "I don't want to nuke the filibuster" bona fides. It honestly feels like the minimum wage increase was the extra ask that Biden's willing to give up; the very thing that dems were begging Obama to do for eight years. 

14 minutes ago, Joe said:

He made it seem like it was a duplication, so I’m not sure.

It’s not. In 2020, after your 26-weeks, you would be moved to the 13-week federal extension provided by the CARES act, if/when that ran out, in NJ, you would then be moved to a 20-week extension provided by the state (which was triggered due to high UE numbers). The 13-week extension from the CARES act is expired now so it’s no longer relevant for people. There’s currently over 75k people in NJ who lost their jobs before the pandemic hit and now cannot find work that exhausted all previous state and federal benefits. This 11-week federal extension will help, if this state 8-week wasn’t vetoed, that would then kick in after the 11-week, just like how the 20-week did.

So, no, not redundant, no overlapping, no duplication: cumulative.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s not. In 2020, after your 26-weeks, you would be moved to the 13-week federal extension provided by the CARES act, if/when that ran out, in NJ, you would then be moved to a 20-week extension provided by the state (which was triggered due to high UE numbers). The 13-week extension from the CARES act is expired now so it’s no longer relevant for people. There’s currently over 75k people in NJ who lost their jobs before the pandemic hit and now cannot find work that exhausted all previous state and federal benefits. This 11-week federal extension will help, if this state 8-week wasn’t vetoed, that would then kick in after the 11-week, just like how the 20-week did.

So, no, not redundant, no overlapping, no duplication: cumulative.

Gotcha. I guess he meant duplicate in the sense that the NJ 8-week extension was only passed in the absence of the federal extension and now it's "no longer necessary?" I suppose the thinking is these benefits will be extended further at the federal level. If not, then that's a major fuck-up.

24 minutes ago, Joe said:

Gotcha. I guess he meant duplicate in the sense that the NJ 8-week extension was only passed in the absence of the federal extension and now it's "no longer necessary?" I suppose the thinking is these benefits will be extended further at the federal level. If not, then that's a major fuck-up.

Are there further federal extensions coming beyond the 11-week? 

7 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

The difference is, the GOP also packed the courts and got 3 SCOTUS judges.  The Dems will end up with nothing, and I predict in 2024 the GOP will hold the House, the Senate, and the POTUS, and they'll replace Breyer after he croaks.

Breyer is going to retire this year.