~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

48 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

thanks financial advice guy. 

It's super infuriating to constantly see people punch down on poor people, many of whom are poor families. Like, yep, everything is their own fault, they all love being poor. Jesus Christ it's like the words systemic and institutional got lost somewhere for them. I would love for them to meet a genuinely poor but hard working family, and look at them, their kids, etc. and go: "you all clearly have other issues going on", the implication being its all their own faults.

45 minutes ago, Jason said:

This was my first thought, as well. 

Even before the pandemic we had disturbing studies that showed something around half the country couldn't take a hit from an unexpected $500 expense. So even under this faulty premise I don't think it holds up.

It also seems like the nirvana fallacy of "we can't do everything, so do nothing".

However, the funny thing is he is kind of making the argument for more stimulus.

Right, buddy! After the expenses incurred by the past year 1,400 isn't nearlu enough to help people. I agree with Baldy McGeneric White Guy, it should be a lot more!

Ramsey's program works. I don't really like the insistence on avoid debt completely, as debt is often a means to greater financial reward, but it does work. But the guy himself has a way about him that is beyond off putting, and all the financial advisors who get Financial Peace certified carry that same air.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's super infuriating to constantly see people punch down on poor people, many of whom are poor families. Like, yep, everything is their own fault, they all love being poor. Jesus Christ it's like the words systemic and institutional got lost somewhere for them. I would love for them to meet a genuinely poor but hard working family, and look at them, their kids, etc. and go: "you all clearly have other issues going on", the implication being its all their own faults.

Many people on the right-wing do not believe that problems can exist institutionally or systemically. They believe that the root (and cause) of all problems are individual/personal issues.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Many people on the right-wing do not believe that problems can exist institutionally or systemically. They believe that the root (and cause) of all problems are individual/personal issues.

Indeed, many conservatives I've run into in my life, from my parents to co-workers to acquantinces and friends of friends, simply look baffled when I explain that issues are systemic and institutional more often than not. They . . . just can't process it. It's kind of stunning, and no amount of explaining on my part helped matters. I don't get what they think those words are used for then. :p 

Didn't know where to stick this.

50606699_944798375711168_550700689513250
M.FACEBOOK.COM

Congress hasn’t raised the minimum wage in more than a decade, leaving millions of Americans struggling to make ends meet. I’m introducing a bill with Senator Tom Cotton that would...

Not that the bill is ideal or anything but is he outflanking Democrats from the left again? Or, at least the ones who insist on it being a reconciliation Bill because reasons when they know they could ram it through if they really wanted?

10 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Didn't know where to stick this.

50606699_944798375711168_550700689513250
M.FACEBOOK.COM

Congress hasn’t raised the minimum wage in more than a decade, leaving millions of Americans struggling to make ends meet. I’m introducing a bill with Senator Tom Cotton that would...

Not that the bill is ideal or anything but is he outflanking Democrats from the left again? Or, at least the ones who insist on it being a reconciliation Bill because reasons when they know they could ram it through if they really wanted?

I think all this means is he's doing his job and taking a priority of the presidents and trying to negotiate from his side instead of doing whatever the fuck McConnell does.  From what i can find hes aiming at 10 dollars an hour then hitching it to inflation, Dems should see it as the floor for negotiations on a separate bill.

I find this point odd because I don’t know anybody who went to college and borrowed money to do so who exited school with less than 20k, and most of these people went to state schools. Some are closer to 40k from little public unis like Stephen F Austin. Are these people way outside the norm?

Public service loan forgiveness is a fucking scam. My wife, a teacher, has apparently only had about 10 qualifying monthly payments despite paying her loans as a teacher for the past 8 years.

She'd have tens of thousands more in loans if she didn't work as a math teacher at a Title 1 school for 5 years. That "only" required her to submit a few pages of paperwork signed by her principal. If she was a early childhood or art or social studies teacher she wouldn't have gotten as much forgiveness, like those people don't need loan forgiveness as well. It's all fucking stupid. The only people who don't need loans are the wealthy. Damn near every other person needs them anymore, even to a not terribly selective state school.

Just raise taxes and pay for all public colleges and universities. Just forgive all the student debt because the money was created out of thin air anyway, and getting rid of it would be the same.

Biden thinks the Senate Parliamentarian will block the $15 minimum wage.

When Joe Biden met with a group of mayors and governors last week he bluntly told them to get ready for a legislative defeat: his proposed minimum wage hike was unlikely to happen, he said, at least in the near term.

“I really want this in there but it just doesn't look like we can do it because of reconciliation,” Biden told the group, according to a person in the room. “I’m not going to give up. But right now, we have to prepare for this not making it.”

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Missed this, but it's full on bullshit.

That said,

I figured. I think what sucks is it'll be exciting once this passes because there's a lot of good in this thing, but because it won't take effect until late March, it wouldn't matter if they passed and signed it today AFAIK.