~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

39 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The governments of the world will let people die before they spend 5 years doing rolling lockdowns. We are barely a month into the earliest lockdowns outside of China and pretty much every country but Italy is rushing to begin easing restrictions. 

wont somebody think of the capitalist! 

18 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Still haven't gotten my stimulus deposit.  If I don't see it by the end of the week, I might start wondering what the hell is going on and call my bank.

Your bank won’t have anything to tell you. The government is sending out the ACHs in batches daily, your number will come up at some point.

This is the problem of the PPP. It's actually dumb to pay your employees for a business that is closed because they get more out of UE, so you should sock away this cheap cash (1% interest rate) to restart your business when you can.

6 hours ago, Massdriver said:

I'm very cautiously leaning towards a U shaped recovery in the economy and a V in the stock market, with the right side of the stock market V being 3/4 of the way up where it may stagnate for a little as the U catches it.

The caution comes from the lack of data. I would like to see 2nd quarter earnings and how banks are doing when we get into the Fall before concluding we are good to go, not to mention more evidence on the virus.

Yes, the strength of the banks’ balance sheets in light of the next earnings report will shed some light on the long-term trajectory of things.

5 hours ago, sblfilms said:

The debts are explicitly protected from state and federal collection, it is private debt collection that is the issue. More evidence of backdoor bailouts for the banks though.

To go along with the bailouts going on in broad daylight—the Fed is already buying  junk corporate debt en masse  to save the large, over-levered companies that have gorged themselves on it the past few years, mostly to buy back stock.

It would irk me less if small businesses and unemployed workers were also having their debts forgiven, but that’s not happening—the stimulus check is a drop in the pond, and if your situation is at all typical, small businesses aren’t getting much of the help they were promised.

• Thanks 2

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/coming-to-your-1200-relief-check-donald-j-trumps-name/2020/04/14/071016c2-7e82-11ea-8013-1b6da0e4a2b7_story.html

Treasury Dept has ordered that Trump's name be added to each cheque, which will delay them by at least a few days.

The unprecedented decision, finalized late Monday, means that when recipients open the $1,200 paper checks the IRS is scheduled to begin sending to 70 million Americans in coming days, “President Donald J. Trump” will appear on the left side of the payment.

It will be the first time a president’s signature appears on an IRS disbursement, whether a routine refund or one of the handful of checks the government has issued to taxpayers in recent decades either to stimulate a down economy or share the dividends of a strong one.

• Guillotine 2

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/coming-to-your-1200-relief-check-donald-j-trumps-name/2020/04/14/071016c2-7e82-11ea-8013-1b6da0e4a2b7_story.html

Treasury Dept has ordered that Trump's name be added to each cheque, which will delay them by at least a few days.

He's using the checks as a free campaign ad.

15 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Isn't this what the Stephen Harper government did a few years back? Well, something similar, like putting on official headers "from the office of prime Minister Stephen Harper" instead of something like "from the government of Canada"?

I'm trying to feel better about this ok

3 hours ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Yes, the strength of the banks’ balance sheets in light of the next earnings report will shed some light on the long-term trajectory of things.

To go along with the bailouts going on in broad daylight—the Fed is already buying  junk corporate debt en masse  to save the large, over-levered companies that have gorged themselves on it the past few years, mostly to buy back stock.

It would irk me less if small businesses and unemployed workers were also having their debts forgiven, but that’s not happening—the stimulus check is a drop in the pond, and if your situation is at all typical, small businesses aren’t getting much of the help they were promised.

I am having a hard time supporting the Fed propping up junk bonds. If they are going to back shitty borrowing, we might as well all buy JNK since apparently it’s a free lunch. There’s an absurd amount of distortion going on and it is completely unethical to the average person in this country. The bail outs should be throwing money at individuals and families. Let’s do a massive debt forgiveness program and forgive $15k+ of everyone’s most high interest debt they have. Let’s throw more cash into people’s accounts and beef up unemployment more. Let’s get some real universal healthcare in this country.  

Companies that borrowed shit loads to do buybacks and dividends should lose right now. They may say that’s not fair because the virus. Well reality is far harsher to the average consumer right now. That risky behavior should not be rewarded. Let some of the bad companies fail. Prop up the economy by stimulating demand from the consumer and throwing lifelines to small businesses. 

• Thanks 1

Indiana congressman says he's willing to let more Americans die to save economy

"It is policymakers' decision to put on our big boy and big girl pants and say it is the lesser of these two evils," Republican Rep. Trey Hollingsworth told radio station WIBC-FM of Indianapolis. "It is not zero evil, but it is the lesser of these two evils, and we intend to move forward that direction."

"It is always the American government's position to say, in the choice between the loss of our way of life as Americans and the loss of life, of American lives, we have to always choose the latter," he said.

He's "pro-life."

• Guillotine 3

6 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I just sent off my 2019 tax return on something like April 5th, and it was actually physically mailed and I didn't submit any direct deposit information (too poor), so I guess I'll see a check sometime around 2022, right? :p 

Same. Thought I didnt qualify forgot to send in my 2018 taxes (havent done them) and I normally make more the 75k. However I was under so I will do my taxes friday and send it iut.

10 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I just sent off my 2019 tax return on something like April 5th, and it was actually physically mailed and I didn't submit any direct deposit information (too poor), so I guess I'll see a check sometime around 2022, right? :p 

You can go to the IRS website and update your account with your bank info

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

You can go to the IRS website and update your account with your bank info

Nice, thanks for the heads up; I didn't realize they had updated this. The last I'd seen, they were saying that this was coming but hadn't been released yet. :thumbup:

1 minute ago, Nokra said:

Nice, thanks for the heads up; I didn't realize they had updated this. The last I'd seen, they were saying that this was coming but hadn't been released yet. :thumbup:

Just went up this morning!

Just now, Nokra said:

It says they're "unable to determine my status". Sooo...... 2022 it is! :lol:

Same. Except I've filed this year and last year and they've touched my bank account in both years so I don't get how I could be missing. 

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Same. Except I've filed this year and last year and they've touched my bank account in both years so I don't get how I could be missing. 

When did you move to LA? Since your last filing, right? I moved back to the US from Germany in November but as far as they know, I just moved to Portland, OR from Idaho. I'm wondering if maybe it's the moving that's the problem. 

Just now, Nokra said:

When did you move to LA? Since your last filing, right? I moved back to the US from Germany in November but as far as they know, I just moved to Portland, OR from Idaho. I'm wondering if maybe it's the moving that's the problem. 

June will be five years in same apartment. Absolutely nothing has changed in that time in terms of how I've been filing federally. 

• Haha 1