~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

TOXP4BRGWVELXPZVEIDYARTQDA.jpg
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Pre-Christmas air travel surpassed 1 million daily passengers nationwide for three consecutive days this weekend, breaking the record for most weekend travelers of the pandemic and outpacing Thanksgiving.

More people are traveling for Christmas than Thanksgiving, we did it!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Husband and I are staying home for Christmas. My dad called, said my mom tested positive this morning. She's been taking care of covid patients at her hospital this entire time.

Ugh I'm sorry. This is day 5ish for my parents. My brother got it too from work a few days ago too (nurse). 

1 hour ago, Joe said:

What does she say when you tell her about your friend's wife?

She started crying and in general wants to treat the friend like a leper. But she knows her family and they are totally safe. Which just means they wear masks when they go out. Which is another problem and I've been guilty of it too. People act like as long as you wear a mask you're immune. When it's more like a condom. Always that small chance it won't work. Outside of Christmas I'm staying home. I'll pay the extra $10 to things delivered from now on from the grocery store or Walmart or Target. 

7 minutes ago, Jason said:
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Pre-Christmas air travel surpassed 1 million daily passengers nationwide for three consecutive days this weekend, breaking the record for most weekend travelers of the pandemic and outpacing Thanksgiving.

2 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

More people are traveling for Christmas than Thanksgiving, we did it!

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

Ugh I'm sorry. This is day 5ish for my parents. My brother got it too from work a few days ago too (nurse). 

Yeah, it sucks. So far, she doesn't seem too bad. She's bummed about Christmas being canceled and was taking a drive to the countryside today. My family isn't large, so we were just gonna do a small get together. I'm pretty bummed.

But she's been near both my grandmas in the last couple days. No touching and masks were on, but of course, I'm concerned. My whole family is quarantining, excep my dad(for now). He's also a nurse(ED) and apparently had a mild case back in late October. For now, he has to be at work.

Fuck this entire year, man.

23 hours ago, silentbob said:

So leaked reports out of the Ontario government indicates that ALL OF ONTARIO will be going into a strict non essential lockdown as of 12:01am Xmas Eve. All of southern Ontario will stay like this for 28 days, while the more northern/central areas will only do 14 days. As their numbers are much lower but not the population density like the southern portions. I’m currently in the red zone and have seen many more Greater Toronto area folk shopping down at our malls/stores. Been doing so for a bit and my area of Halton saw it’s biggest case number today. I wonder how that might be happening, and welcome the incoming lockdown. 

The lockdown isn't working

spacer.png

People are generally ignoring it, and instead of targetting high risk behaviour, they're just closing bookstores.

On 12/20/2020 at 6:10 PM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It is covid. Now he's on dialysis and vapotherm. Doesn't sound like is going well.

Now his brother in law is positive, sister has yet to test, and awaiting results from his mom's test. He's luckily here in VA so exposure for him, but he's the youngest child in the family, mom had him when she was pushing 40 so his mom is 65+ and sister is 50+

Just awful to have this happen, let alone  around Christmas

• Sad 3

Work sent me downtown Toronto for some stores and I could hear people talking about the lockdown, and that they planned to travel to my city or close by to shop in the next few days. Our numbers for I believe in the 90’s again, and that is double our norm from a few weeks ago. So that was roughly 2-3 weeks ago when Toronto and Peel were sent into the “strict lockdown” and sure enough the cases are rising here. I’m glad and upset over the lockdown happening after Xmas, because the mental toll this is taking on some is bad. My sister was getting really depressed because she wants to spend Xmas together and needs this mental break for herself (as my brother in law is an asshole and won’t do anything to help her with the kids/Xmas wrapping) Although the families getting together worries me in the long run (not mine as we have been real safe) but I see it like keeping the LCBO open. Taking Xmas/alcohol away from people might do more harm then good in the long term for a lot of people

• Sad 1

No one anywhere in Canada or the US should be meeting anyone outside their home for Christmas this year. If you do, even if it's legally allowed where you live, you're a part of the problem and contributing to the spread of the disease. I don't care if you've already justified it to yourself, or disagree; all gatherings at this point should be off-limits, and anyone that takes part is complicit. Every gathering is a coin flip, with every death a tails. But the coin flips that end up heads are just as to blame since they had the same chance of causing spread, and death.

• Sad 1

The UK continues to be a chore to live in at the moment. If I was Scottish, Welsh or Irish I’d be screaming to be independent. 

The constant change of rules and restrictions is also somewhat confusing. We have a support bubble with my in-laws as we have a child under one, so can mix and we travelled last Friday to spend Christmas with them. Literally the next day the government announced you can only see people on Christmas Day only...so I’m not sure if that means I should have driven the three hours home, or we can stay (we’re staying until January).

I literally hate this government and actively want it to change as it has consistently underperformed for the past two years. I would prefer Teresa May, I’d even welcome David Cameron - not just an entire party built on 6th choice leaders that are not capable of managing two of the most challenging situations in British history.

Maybe I should just move my family to the Isle of Man and we can hide away from it all.

11 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Seoul just banned any gathering over 5. 

Great. The government said the ban doesn't apply to churches. Churches can still have meetings of up to 20. But churches already haven't been following the rules and the government refuses to touch them.

2020 really gave the world proof that Christians are selfish bastards.

• Guillotine 2

31 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Great. The government said the ban doesn't apply to churches. Churches can still have meetings of up to 20. But churches already haven't been following the rules and the government refuses to touch them.

2020 really gave the world proof that Christians are selfish bastards.

They must have called the United States.

The family of an 18-year-old college student who broke the Cayman Islands’ coronavirus laws on a trip last month has pleaded for her release from prison ahead of a hearing on Tuesday before a panel of judges who will decide whether her appeal can proceed.

Skylar Mack and her boyfriend, Vanjae Ramgeet, 24, were sentenced to four months in prison after violating the Cayman Island’s required 14-day quarantine period for visitors.

In late November, with her semester at Mercer University in Georgia complete, Ms. Mack flew to the Cayman Islands to watch her boyfriend compete in the islands’ Jet Ski racing national championship.

Yikes. I feel for her, as I would for anyone facing jail time, but she knowingly broke the law and endangered others. To paraphrase someone on resetera, it's not like she broke some obscure local law she didn't know about...these are well-advertised rules that are repeated to travelers over and over right now. Having said that, four months might be harsh, and they are likely doing it to set an example.

Like 4 months in jail is the end of the fucking world as an 18 year old with no real responsibilities. And I can't imagine the jail(s?) in the Cayman Islands are even that bad. The entire population is like the size of a small town. You just have to deal with eating shitty food for a while and not going outside so much.

Like, I know people who've lost everything from going to jail. Lost their job, lost their income, lost their homes, lost their relationships, from even stints as short as a few weeks. That's why I still believe in some form of bond system (just not our current model) and not locking people up for every little thing. But in her example, I'm like "fuck it." Make an example. Everyone freaks out when pretty young blonde girls get into trouble when traveling abroad.

3 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Like 4 months in jail is the end of the fucking world as an 18 year old with no real responsibilities. And I can't imagine the jail(s?) in the Cayman Islands are even that bad. The entire population is like the size of a small town. You just have to deal with eating shitty food for a while and not going outside so much.

Like, I know people who've lost everything from going to jail. Lost their job, lost their income, lost their homes, lost their relationships, from even stints as short as a few weeks. That's why I still believe in some form of bond system (just not our current model) and not locking people up for every little thing. But in her example, I'm like "fuck it." Make an example. Everyone freaks out when pretty young blonde girls get into trouble when traveling abroad.

If it had just been her boyfriend (Vanjae Ramgeet) I doubt we'd even be hearing about this.

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Got my first dose this morning. Glad I handed off my report quickly because I was one the first four and that line got long quick. 

so far, no anaphylaxis or sprouting of a third arm or anything. So that’s good. 

When you turn into a vampire, remember us as being cool so please don’t eat us.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yikes. I feel for her, as I would for anyone facing jail time, but she knowingly broke the law and endangered others. To paraphrase someone on resetera, it's not like she broke some obscure local law she didn't know about...these are well-advertised rules that are repeated to travelers over and over right now. Having said that, four months might be harsh, and they are likely doing it to set an example.

I guess she didn't see Brokedown Palace