~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Am I the asshole? In my province, Christmas gatherings are banned (no one can go to other households). My family (mom+partner, brother+partner, myself+partner) decided to do a zoom call on Christmas morning...until my mom yesterday sprung it on me that my brother would be going to her house in the morning and they'd do the call from there (with me and my partner at home).

I told her that he can't, it's against the rules (and the rules are for a good reason), and that choices like this are causing the pandemic to continue. She is talking to him again, but I want to just say that if he's over there, then I won't be doing a zoom call because I want them to wear masks, and there is little point to the call if they are both in masks. The vaccines are rolling out and my mom (who is in her 60s) will probably have hers by April, and my brother I hopefully within the summer. If we just wait a bit longer, there is an end in sight and there is no point in risking one of us getting sick. I'm hoping this puts some pressure on them. Obviously I can't stop them from breaking the rules, but am I the asshole for effectively cancelling the Xmas zoom if they are getting together against the rules?

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Am I the asshole? In my province, Christmas gatherings are banned (no one can go to other households). My family (mom+partner, brother+partner, myself+partner) decided to do a zoom call on Christmas morning...until my mom yesterday sprung it on me that my brother would be going to her house in the morning and they'd do the call from there (with me and my partner at home).

I told her that he can't, it's against the rules (and the rules are for a good reason), and that choices like this are causing the pandemic to continue. She is talking to him again, but I want to just say that if he's over there, then I won't be doing a zoom call because I want them to wear masks, and there is little point to the call if they are both in masks. The vaccines are rolling out and my mom (who is in her 60s) will probably have hers by April, and my brother I hopefully within the summer. If we just wait a bit longer, there is an end in sight and there is no point in risking one of us getting sick. I'm hoping this puts some pressure on them. Obviously I can't stop them from breaking the rules, but am I the asshole for effectively cancelling the Xmas zoom if they are getting together against the rules?

Sort of? I think it's reasonable to give them your opinion and emphasize what's right, but I think dangling your Zoom call like a carrot is childish. They're adults who can and will make their own choices, and responding to a (potential) decision you don't like in that way isn't particularly mature.

56 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Sort of? I think it's reasonable to give them your opinion and emphasize what's right, but I think dangling your Zoom call like a carrot is childish. They're adults who can and will make their own choices, and responding to a (potential) decision you don't like in that way isn't particularly mature.

I disagree. The point of the Zoom call was for the three of them to see each other responsibly. He's endorsing the two of them getting together irresponsibly by agreeing to still do the call despite them undermining the point of the call.

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

I disagree. The point of the Zoom call was for the three of them to see each other responsibly. He's endorsing the two of them getting together irresponsibly by agreeing to still do the call despite them undermining the point of the call.

This has nothing to do with ‘endorsement’, they’re grown adults and can make their own choices. He’s taking his ball and going home because he doesn’t agree with their decision. 

1 minute ago, Chris- said:

This has nothing to do with ‘endorsement’, they’re grown adults and can make their own choices. He’s taking his ball and going home because he doesn’t agree with their decision. 

I agree with Jason. IMO going on the Zoom call shows tacit approval for their actions. Yes they are adults and as such there is nothing he can do about it but he can show his disapproval this way. The point is to change their behavior to keep them safe, it isn't "taking his ball and going home".

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Actually he's already at home, and "stay the fuck home" is the entire point here. ;)

I've failed to convince them to not get together, though it sounds like they will be wearing masks. So I don't know what I will do. There was a high level of "I know it's important but it's just us." I tried to explain that this argument doesn't work when millions of people are making the same decision, but they've already decided.

Truthfully, our numbers are going down (new cases around 17/100,000 per day) and I know we're not nearly as bad as neighbouring North Dakota and the risk is quote low (in my city around 20-30 new cases a day, population 250,000), etc...but it's the point. As @Joe said, it's kind of a slap in the face since my wife and I have to be so careful thanks to her comorbidities, but others don't care about breaking the rules if they are an inconvenience.

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I've failed to convince them to not get together, though it sounds like they will be wearing masks. So I don't know what I will do. There was a high level of "I know it's important but it's just us." I tried to explain that this argument doesn't work when millions of people are making the same decision, but they've already decided.

Truthfully, our numbers are going down (new cases around 17/100,000 per day) and I know we're not nearly as bad as neighbouring North Dakota and the risk is quote low (in my city around 20-30 new cases a day, population 250,000), etc...but it's the point. As @Joe said, it's kind of a slap in the face since my wife and I have to be so careful thanks to her comorbidities, but others don't care about breaking the rules if they are an inconvenience.

I think the best way forward is join in on the zoom call. 

You can't control them, but you ultimately don't need to bow out of seeing them if they don't follow the rules.

Meanwhile, I drove 2 hours to my mom's for my small immediate family to have a Christmas dinner and a breakfast tomorrow. 

And I think whatever was happening to me the other day was a combination of allergies and a dusty apartment, nothing has really recurred, particularly the swallowing problems that freaked me out. I asked around on the Los Angeles subreddit to see if anyone was experiencing anything similar and other than the swallowing thing I got multiple responses from people who were otherwise having the same symptoms.

I've avoided posting this until now, but wanted to vent a little bit. 

In about 3 weeks I'm going to Hawaii.

I don't want to go to Hawaii. Even if there wasn't a pandemic I wouldn't be interested in going to Hawaii. However, its been my mom's near-lifelong dream to go to Hawaii. When my grandparents passed away last year she decided to use part of the inheritance to plan this trip for the family. It had been in the works since long before anyone even heard of COVID-19. For her, this is not really something she can wait on. Her mobility is decreasing, she had a cortisone shot about a month ago and will likely need hip replacement surgery some time next year. And she has largely put her foot down that she is going no matter what. She says she understands if any of us didn't feel comfortable going and my brother said he'd give a final decision by the end of the year (he is very heavily leaning no). At this point I've resigned to myself that I'll end up going, not because I particularly want to, but because I'm just generally worried about her going alone both mentally and physically.

So yeah. That's that.

• Sad 4

4 hours ago, ThreePi said:

I've avoided posting this until now, but wanted to vent a little bit. 

In about 3 weeks I'm going to Hawaii.

I don't want to go to Hawaii. Even if there wasn't a pandemic I wouldn't be interested in going to Hawaii. However, its been my mom's near-lifelong dream to go to Hawaii. When my grandparents passed away last year she decided to use part of the inheritance to plan this trip for the family. It had been in the works since long before anyone even heard of COVID-19. For her, this is not really something she can wait on. Her mobility is decreasing, she had a cortisone shot about a month ago and will likely need hip replacement surgery some time next year. And she has largely put her foot down that she is going no matter what. She says she understands if any of us didn't feel comfortable going and my brother said he'd give a final decision by the end of the year (he is very heavily leaning no). At this point I've resigned to myself that I'll end up going, not because I particularly want to, but because I'm just generally worried about her going alone both mentally and physically.

So yeah. That's that.

Just an FYI

The islands of Oahu, Maui, Molokai, Lanai, and Hawaii continue with the state’s pre-travel testing program.  Travelers must have their negative test results prior to departing as an alternative to Hawaii’s mandatory 10-day quarantine.

Beginning December 2, Kauai is temporarily pausing participation in this pre-testing program.  All incoming trans-pacific and inter-county travelers to Kauai will face a mandatory 10-day quarantine.  Click here for more information(link is external).  

For more information visit hawaiicovid19.com/travel(link is external) and register with the State of Hawaii Safe Travels(link is external) online system. Only test results from Trusted Testing and Travel Partners(link is external) will be accepted. All incoming travelers are required to have their temperatures checked and complete a health questionnaire online before they can leave the airport.

covid-vaccinations-toronto.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

There's growing consensus that offering the COVID-19 vaccine to as many people as possible may have more impact than holding back supplies to give recipients their second dose — but in Ontario, officials still plan to maintain the two-dose timeframe to ensure immunity.

I really hope this catches on. We need to give the first dose to as many people as possible, as fast as possible, and then administer the second doses as time allows. This will save the most amount of lives. Second-dose priority can be given to the most high-risk groups, though (70+, medical workers, etc), but everyone else should just get a single dose and then the second dose anywhere from 21 days to 3 months later. So far, three provinces have signed on to this (BC, SK, NB).

12 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Just an FYI

The islands of Oahu, Maui, Molokai, Lanai, and Hawaii continue with the state’s pre-travel testing program.  Travelers must have their negative test results prior to departing as an alternative to Hawaii’s mandatory 10-day quarantine.

Beginning December 2, Kauai is temporarily pausing participation in this pre-testing program.  All incoming trans-pacific and inter-county travelers to Kauai will face a mandatory 10-day quarantine.  Click here for more information(link is external).  

For more information visit hawaiicovid19.com/travel(link is external) and register with the State of Hawaii Safe Travels(link is external) online system. Only test results from Trusted Testing and Travel Partners(link is external) will be accepted. All incoming travelers are required to have their temperatures checked and complete a health questionnaire online before they can leave the airport.

Yeah, we've been trying to keep up on the requirements. Our nonstop flight got canceled and rerouted through Dallas. Worst-case scenario if our tests don't get a response in time is that they set up rapid-testing in DFW for people specifically going to Hawaii.

54 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:
covid-vaccinations-toronto.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

There's growing consensus that offering the COVID-19 vaccine to as many people as possible may have more impact than holding back supplies to give recipients their second dose — but in Ontario, officials still plan to maintain the two-dose timeframe to ensure immunity.

I really hope this catches on. We need to give the first dose to as many people as possible, as fast as possible, and then administer the second doses as time allows. This will save the most amount of lives. Second-dose priority can be given to the most high-risk groups, though (70+, medical workers, etc), but everyone else should just get a single dose and then the second dose anywhere from 21 days to 3 months later. So far, three provinces have signed on to this (BC, SK, NB).

I mean if it takes someone other than Trump's former FDA commissioner to trumpet this for it to catch on, I'll take it. Still makes me chuckle though.