~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Welp, 2 more cases (4 total now) of the UK variant found in Canada. 1 in Ottawa, Ontario and 1 in BC. =/ For the Ottawa case it was someone who came back a few weeks ago from the UK. The first 2 cases were traced back to them interacting with someone who came back from the UK recently. 

god damn it eric cartman GIF by South Park

10 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Doug Ford's conservative government in a single tweet:

Do we have enough vaccines that this is even a problem? I would assume the bottleneck is getting the vaccines, not injecting them. Healthcare workers have had a tough year so I don’t really think we should be upset that they get a few days off. 

1 hour ago, SilentWorld said:

Do we have enough vaccines that this is even a problem? I would assume the bottleneck is getting the vaccines, not injecting them. Healthcare workers have had a tough year so I don’t really think we should be upset that they get a few days off. 

Yes there are enough vaccines. Ontario confirmed that they have received over 90,000 doses, but only 13,000 have been administered. They've had the doses for about two weeks, sitting in freezers. 

• Shocked 1

11 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Doug Ford's conservative government in a single tweet:

Fuck all parties in the provincial government over this. Fuck ford and the OPC but also fuck ONDP for not saying shit till after the fact, they should have been on the news calling this shit out in advance.

1 hour ago, SilentWorld said:

Ontario is under vaccinated compared to all the other provinces. We have the vaccines, and we have the volunteers that were willing to work the holidays. This is all on the provintial government for their fuckup. 

:facepalm:

Except for a bit of extra snottiness I seem to have basically recovered 100% at this point. My taste (again make your joke here) seems to have returned completely. The only thing I have not tried that tasted super bad is root beer. 

Also, the toothpaste being bad might just be because I got a bad batch of toothpaste. Or, covid has forever changed the way I taste my usual flavor of toothpaste. Because that toothpaste still tastes bad and the other tubes in the multi-pack are also bad. Like mold or something. I just got some standard cool mint aquafresh and that tastes totally normal.

ngl, I was actually worried my taste loss and then my fucked up taste was going to take a really long time to recover or never really recover. My Aunt's MIL got covid like 2-3 months ago and still can taste food. And I read stories of people who have had the taste loss for over 6 months. If I would have known it would recover this quickly I probably wouldn't have even talked about it. But I have this, like, superstition where the more I complain about something the faster that issue is resolved or I feel better that I complained so I get over it. I'm just glad I'm back to my version of normal. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Except for a bit of extra snottiness I seem to have basically recovered 100% at this point. My taste (again make your joke here) seems to have returned completely. The only thing I have not tried that tasted super bad is root beer. 

Also, the toothpaste being bad might just be because I got a bad batch of toothpaste. Or, covid has forever changed the way I taste my usual flavor of toothpaste. Because that toothpaste still tastes bad and the other tubes in the multi-pack are also bad. Like mold or something. I just got some standard cool mint aquafresh and that tastes totally normal.

ngl, I was actually worried my taste loss and then my fucked up taste was going to take a really long time to recover or never really recover. My Aunt's MIL got covid like 2-3 months ago and still can taste food. And I read stories of people who have had the taste loss for over 6 months. If I would have known it would recover this quickly I probably wouldn't have even talked about it. But I have this, like, superstition where to more I complain about something the faster that issue is resolved or I feel better that I complained so I get over it. I'm just glad I'm back to my version of normal. 

Nothing wrong with talking about it! I am glad you have recovered, buddy. I shall leave the taste jokes for another day.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

This is bad.

One of the first comments there is "Well we knew there'd be a ramp up, right?".

Which is true, to an extent. But it seems the issue here is that a "ramp up" should be caused by stock shortage(like a console launch). What is happening here is the equivalent of PS5's sitting in a warehouse in Japan because Sony can't figure out the supply chain.

26 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

This is bad.

3.5 million per day in some perspective, proportionately my city is a bit less than 1/4 million people, so to keep pace with 3.5m/day we would need ~2500 shots/day. Meaning if there are two 7 hour shifts (14 hr/day) that's ~180/hr or ~3/minute. Assuming that you need one person to spend ~10 mins/per shot/person, you'd need more than 30 people per shift, plus some extra for admin and crowd control. So looking at maybe 100 people/day working on shots, admin, and crowd control for the next 120 days (including 20% of time extra just in case) That's $1.3m for vaccinations just in Richmond over 120 days at $15/hr. The city doesn't have that money without cutting elsewhere without federal money. Same true for everywhere else, and proportionately leads to $1.9b not counting site usage and setup and other infrastructure like coolers and deep freezers

27 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

One of the first comments there is "Well we knew there'd be a ramp up, right?".

Which is true, to an extent. But it seems the issue here is that a "ramp up" should be caused by stock shortage(like a console launch). What is happening here is the equivalent of PS5's sitting in a warehouse in Japan because Sony can't figure out the supply chain.

The Trump administration's MO for Coronavirus has been to kick everything down to the state and local level.  Maybe the Biden administration will centralize planning more  and maybe do better?

Is there even a plan for the general public once they get through the vulnerable and the medical workers?  Or is it going to be like buying a PS5 with supplies to your area  being about as clear as mud

23 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Basically we need to have pharmacies giving these out, not just centralized vaccination centres.

For some of the follow up vaccines and maybe moderna, yes. Pfizer no. There is still issues with cold storage on these early vaccines.

22 minutes ago, chakoo said:

For some of the follow up vaccines and maybe moderna, yes. Pfizer no. There is still issues with cold storage on these early vaccines.

My mom's tiny family run, small town pharmacy is administering the pfizer vaccine. They have the equipment.