~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

My mom's tiny family run, small town pharmacy is administering the pfizer vaccine. They have the equipment. 

And what kind of storage is that exactly?

46 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The Pfizer vaccine can also be stored in regular medical freezers for a day or two if needed (or dry ice). Realistically it can also be stored there indefinitely (like the Moderna vaccine since both are similar), but Pfizer only did the trials with the extra-cold storage, so that is what they recommend.

If that were the case they should be able to test and verify without a full trial to offer updated recommendations because their cold storage requirement puts their vaccine at a disadvantage in the long run. Required cold storage is why canada is sending moderna to the north and not Pfizer.

Just now, chakoo said:

She says they are an official administration location. The owner had been coordinating this prior to now and that makes me think they have all the proper equipment according to pfizer. I'll ask, but I'm guessing they aren't getting very many doses and it'll be in dry ice coolers, which will work just fine.

24 minutes ago, chakoo said:

If that were the case they should be able to test and verify without a full trial to offer updated recommendations because their cold storage requirement puts their vaccine at a disadvantage in the long run. Required cold storage is why canada is sending moderna to the north and not Pfizer.

22 minutes ago, CayceG said:

She says they are an official administration location. The owner had been coordinating this prior to now and that makes me think they have all the proper equipment according to pfizer. I'll ask, but I'm guessing they aren't getting very many doses and it'll be in dry ice coolers, which will work just fine.

Alright, so, correction. 

My mom is getting the pfizer vaccine at the health department. 

My mom's pharmacy does NOT have the equipment to store the Pfizer vaccine. They are signed up to administer the Moderna vaccine. 

54 minutes ago, CayceG said:

29 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Alright, so, correction. 

My mom is getting the pfizer vaccine at the health department. 

My mom's pharmacy does NOT have the equipment to store the Pfizer vaccine. They are signed up to administer the Moderna vaccine. 

Thanks for the clarification & correction.  <3

I really think US/Canada governments should be doing a lot more to get this done right and I'm getting a little concern with how sloppy both are becoming with even just the basics. :( In ontario (canada) they're starting to play fast and loose with the their targeted vaccination numbers today after getting called out for not vaccinating over the holidays.

We could have beaten this thing in a month or two with strict, full, no nonsense lockdowns where everyone stayed home, and the government provided relief to workers and small businesses, putting moratoriums on rent, and making sure the spread stopped dead in its track, but North Americans are too damn selfish, impatient, and don't care about their neighbours to do that, and care more about their "freedoms" because of these restrictions (it's just an inconvenience at most), and too stupid and gullible falling for conspiracy theories. 

We have fucked up as a society, and our culture really needs to be reexamined if this is what we've allowed ourselves to become. 

35 minutes ago, Brick said:

We could have beaten this thing in a month or two with strict, full, no nonsense lockdowns where everyone stayed home, and the government provided relief to workers and small businesses, putting moratoriums on rent, and making sure the spread stopped dead in its track, but North Americans are too damn selfish, impatient, and don't care about their neighbours to do that, and care more about their "freedoms" because of these restrictions (it's just an inconvenience at most), and too stupid and gullible falling for conspiracy theories. 

We have fucked up as a society, and our culture really needs to be reexamined if this is what we've allowed ourselves to become. 

There were so many things that went wrong from top to bottom that our response was too little too late.

First our cdc test was broken which set back testing weeks. Then we waited too long to ban travel from china and also (especially!) europe. We also waited too long to have lockdowns when we could have probably gotten a lot more bang for our buck if we did it in mid February, when it appeared that we already had community spread. Combine this with a robust testing and quarantine system for incoming international travel we might have done a lot better in terms of deaths and spread of disease, to say nothing of the economic toll.

Our failed state is probably no longer capable of eradicating a disease within our country.

15 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Then we waited too long to ban travel from china and also (especially!) europe

Don't forget the part where it was actually just a ban on Chinese people, not travel from China (and couldn't Chinese people come via third countries?), and where the botched Europe announcement caused a ton of people who probably would have stayed put if they'd realized that as long as they're citizens wasn't a choice between "get home now or risk being stuck indefinitely" to instead all cram themselves onto packed flights from Heathrow.

Just a random fucking tweet and then for 24-48 hours fucking nobody could say for sure what the actual policy was because it was almost certainly not thought about beyond the initial tweet.

Just now, Jason said:

Don't forget the part where it was actually a ban on Chinese people, not travel from China, and where the botched Europe announcement caused a ton of people who probably would have stayed put if they'd realized that as long as they're citizens wasn't a choice between "get home now or risk being stuck indefinitely" to instead all cram themselves onto packed flights from Heathrow.

Oh yeah, the details of each announcement make the decisions made even worse.

54 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I mean, Italy did that and it still came back for a round 2. People there stopped giving a shit after a while, and that seems to be true across the board.

Oh it happens elsewhere too, don't get me wrong (the UK is currently having trouble), but here in NA it's so much worse. New Zealand has been handling it all so well, even with complaints of maybe being a little over reactionary when a single case is found, and a full lockdown happens again, but really it's better to be over cautious in order to stop the spread. 

Even to the people that say, "it's just a flu", well if you told me that locking down the country for two months would eliminate influenza (the virus can't spread if it doesn't have people to infect), and no one ever gets the flu again because it's been killed off, I'd say sure let's do it. Put all the financial protections in place that are needed, and if no one ever got sick from the flu again that would be amazing. No one that is already sick, or elderly, or otherwise immunocompromised in some way would ever die from the flu again. No one would get sick, and have to take off a week from work again, which would surely improve productivity and the economy. Surely those measly two months would be worth it. 

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

My cousin and her husband sold their Manhattan apartment, at a loss I think, and bought a house on Long Island (:sick:)...all because of "density is bad because COVID!"

And to top it all off now more of my family lives on fucking Long Island.

10 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

They're all chuds aren't they

Actually AFAIK on my mom's side only that cousin's dad is a chud. This cousin is definitely not a chud.

Meanwhile if you're familiar with NYC at all these immediately look like income distribution maps, not population density maps (and Staten Island is chudsville):

EqdIrglUcAI8-iJ?format=jpg&name=900x900EqdJPE6VgAUYL9A?format=jpg&name=900x900

WHY THE FUCK WOULDN"T THEY ARRANGE APPOINTMENTS!?! Or, do what Israel is doing, and allow drive-thru vaccinations instead to minimize risk.

In the end I think that both the US and Canada are going to have more than enough doses to vaccinate the entire population by mid-summer...and both countries aren't going to be even close to being done, because the states/provinces are handling it instead of the federal governments.

• Sad 1