~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

3 minutes ago, Chollowa said:

I don't think your math checks out. I am the youngest of 3 brothers and was born in 79, both of my parents are firmly in the Baby Boom generation (Dad was born in 49, Mom in 53). I know you qualified it, but I would guess that almost half of Gen X was raised by Boomer parents because people tended to have families at a much younger age back then. An early boomer would have been 20 in 66 and it probably wouldn't be weird for them to have children at that age. .  

This is what you'll generally find for this information online. I qualified it, as you said, to account for just such instances, but my understanding is no, it's not "half" or anything like that. And even if you were raised by old boomers (ones geared closer to the silent generation), there's always overlap in generational thought as well on the edges. As I said, no group is monolithic, but to be clear, this is not "my" math. This is just what's generally agreed upon - there are no hard and fast rules here so there's room for exceptions, etc. :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

This is what you'll generally find for this information online. I qualified it, as you said, to account for just such instances, but my understanding is no, it's not "half" or anything like that. And even if you were raised by old boomers (ones geared closer to the silent generation), there's always overlap in generational thought as well on the edges. As I said, no group is monolithic, but to be clear, this is not "my" math. This is just what's generally agreed upon - there are no hard and fast rules here so there's room for exceptions, etc. :)

Understood, it just strikes me as wrong. The average age of a first time mother in 72 is 21.5, that would make them fall smack dab in the middle of being a boomer and their kids, more or less in the middle of Gen X. I'm going to dig around and see if I can find some information about this. 

2 minutes ago, Chollowa said:

Understood, it just strikes me as wrong. The average age of a first time mother in 72 is 21.5, that would make them fall smack dab in the middle of being a boomer and their kids, more or less in the middle of Gen X. I'm going to dig around and see if I can find some information about this. 

Hey, I'm always down for further investigating! Let us know what you find. I have no doubt there are exceptions, just how many is what I'm unsure of. I assume the people that decide this stuff landed on this breakdown somehow. :p 

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2020 at 3:46 PM, Jason said:

From March, but I first heard about it today.

V09DZ1ZPU3JCOFV6cFRlU3NvTkkuanBn.jpg
THEBLAST.COM

Evangeline Lilly reportedly dropped from being a co-lead in the next "Ant-Man" superhero flick due to her controversial stance on coronavirus self-isolating.

OpenGraph-TW-1200x630.jpg
WWW.MARVEL.COM

Marvel.com is the official site of Marvel Entertainment! Browse official Marvel movies, characters, comics, TV shows, videos, & more.

It’s a family affair! Revealed during The Walt Disney Company’s 2020 Investor Day presentation by Kevin Feige, president, Marvel Studios, and chief creative officer, Marvel, Kathryn Newton joins the cast of Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania as Cassie Lang, the daughter of Scott Lang. Paul Rudd reprises his role as Ant-Man, alongside Evangeline Lilly as Hope van Dyne/Wasp. Joining them are returning cast members Michael Douglas as Dr. Hank Pym, and Michelle Pfeiffer as Janet Van Dyne — aka, Hope’s parents.

Additionally, Jonathan Majors will portray Kang the Conqueror, with three-time repeat Ant-Man director Peyton Reed returning behind the camera.

Why would they be saying she is coming back just last week if she isn't going to be in Ant-Man 3?

14 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:
WWW.MARVEL.COM

Marvel.com is the official site of Marvel Entertainment! Browse official Marvel movies, characters, comics, TV shows, videos, & more.

Why would they be saying she is coming back just last week if she isn't going to be in Ant-Man 3?

Looks like article about her being dropped was just a rumor and never confirmed.

12 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:
WWW.MARVEL.COM

Sounds like she's still in the movie, but her role has been greatly diminished mostly because she refuses to follow pandemic protocols. The original article says she was dropped from being a co-lead and are rewriting things around here. Likely there just putting more focus on Ant-Man and his daughter.

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I agree with everything you've said here - just to be clear, Gen X'ers were raised by the generation before Boomers, not Boomers themselves (for the most part - no rule/group is monolithic of course) - most people part of a generation are raised by one generation removed given age gaps. So Gen Xers were raised by the "silent generation/lucky few", millennials were raised by boomers (explains why millennials hate boomers so much) and zoomers are being raised by Gen Xers, and millennials now having kids are raising "generation alpha".

2880px-Generation_timeline.svg.png

Wat?

My dad and mom were born in 52 and 53 and I was born in 79 sooooo my parents are boomers and I'm gen X

3 hours ago, Brick said:

I really don't understand how someone in HEALTHCARE can be so stupid about this. You always hear people talk about "I know this nurse, and she doesn't get vaccines or the flu shot", and it's like, how? How can this happen? 

@CastlevaniaNut18 you must have stories of colleagues who are like this. What do you find is the rationale behind healthcare providers who are anti-vaxx, etc.? 

They're just as goddamned stupid as the rest of the populace. There's really no special explanation.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Chadatog said:

Wat?

My dad and mom were born in 52 and 53 and I was born in 79 sooooo my parents are boomers and I'm gen X

Again, I didn't say it doesn't happen (mentioned exceptions right there in the post), there are of course many exceptions, just not the majority of the time/case is my understanding.

In my follow up post I even said there will be exceptions on the margins. You are just barely a Gen Xer, a very late one that merges with the beginning of Millennials so while you were raised by Boomers most Gen Xers likely weren't - just the ones on the margins (early boomers having kids earlier, thus creating late 1978, 1979, and 1980 Gen Xers (inclusive)). Of course it happens. :p 

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I’m a Gen-Xer with a silent gen father and boomer mother. My Gen-X wife has two boomer parents. 

I’m also the father of two Gen-Z boys, and a Gen-alpha daughter. 

TBH, I think too much is made of these generations. Nothing magical happens one year to suddenly change everyone’s attitude. 

There are no hard and fast rules, but I can tell you that in both my sociology culture courses in college as well as in my marketing/advertising courses in  my MBA program that there are "modes of thought" that lie in the majority of each generations people, shaped often by the shared events of that generations formative years. It's not that strange. But I do want to emphasize that yes, nothing magical happens from one year to the next and the lines blur and there are often exceptions. But it is easy to see the different modes of thought that have generally surfaced in each generation, I don't think that's crazy to say.

And to throw my statistic in the ring, my parents are both baby boomers born in '55 and '62 respectively, whereas I am a millennial born in '86. So a very typical example of the norm. My wife is also a millennial, born in '88, the daughter of two baby boomers, both born in the '50's. So if we have kids (which we plan to in the next few years), they'll definitely be zoomers, another very typical example of the norm. :p 

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Again, I didn't say it doesn't happen (mentioned exceptions right there in the post), there are of course many exceptions, just not the majority of the time/case is my understanding.

In my follow up post I even said there will be exceptions on the margins. You are just barely a Gen Xer, a very late one that merges with the beginning of Millennials so while you were raised by Boomers most Gen Xers likely weren't - just the ones on the margins (early boomers having kids earlier, thus creating late 1978, 1979, and 1980 Gen Xers (inclusive)). Of course it happens. :p 

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

There are no hard and fast rules, but I can tell you that in both my sociology culture courses in college as well as in my marketing/advertising courses in  my MBA program that there are "modes of thought" that lie in the majority of each generations people, shaped often by the shared events of that generations formative years. It's not that strange. But I do want to emphasize that yes, nothing magical happens from one year to the next and the lines blur and there are often exceptions. But it is easy to see the different modes of thought that have generally surfaced in each generation, I don't think that's crazy to say.

And to throw my statistic in the ring, my parents are both baby boomers born in '55 and '62 respectively, whereas I am a millennial born in '86. So a very typical example of the norm. My wife is also a millennial, born in '88, the daughter of two baby boomers, both born in the '50's. So if we have kids (which we plan to in the next few years), they'll definitely be zoomers, another very typical example of the norm. :p

Sir this is a internet posting board, there can be no shades of grey.  Only black and white statements for my posts. :p

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jason said:

How does this happen raising broader questions about what's going on with their manufacturing lines? :confused:

X2GS6CB5QQI6XC6AVYKVX3SK74.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

The news comes as the Trump administration seeks more Pfizer vaccine doses this spring.

Wtf? That was way crazier than I expected.

If you want a lap dance come to San Diego!

57590365_1140x641.jpg
WWW.CBS8.COM

San Diego County released a statement saying it would pause on enforcing restaurant enclosures until further notice based on the judge's ruling.

CAMD9015.jpg
WWW.KPBS.ORG

In his ruling against local news organizations, Judge Joel R. Wohlfeil said he had to balance the public interest in keeping the information secret with the public interest in releasing it.

14 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If you want a lap dance come to San Diego!

57590365_1140x641.jpg
WWW.CBS8.COM

San Diego County released a statement saying it would pause on enforcing restaurant enclosures until further notice based on the judge's ruling.

CAMD9015.jpg
WWW.KPBS.ORG

In his ruling against local news organizations, Judge Joel R. Wohlfeil said he had to balance the public interest in keeping the information secret with the public...

Oh ffs, people do cocaine in the back rooms, masks may get enforced in the front but there's zero chance anyone is keeping their mask on in the back. 

I really hate that people are blaming the overdoses (and suicides in the US) on the lockdowns/restrictions instead of the pandemic. What, these idiots think that people wouldn't be staying home more (and being more isolated) even if there were no restrictions? The less restrictions there are and the faster the virus spreads, the more that people are going to voluntarily stay home and be isolated. Having said that, most governments clearly do not have enough support systems in place for addiction treatment and mental health.

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Jesus:

063_1291660678.jpg?resize=1024%2C630
WWW.ALJAZEERA.COM

About five percent of the US population has contracted the virus, or close to 17 million people.

Important to note that probably at least double that amount of people has had the virus. An antibody study was conducted by the CDC in July in 5 states that found between 5-7% of folks already had it even then.

9 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Jesus:

063_1291660678.jpg?resize=1024%2C630
WWW.ALJAZEERA.COM

About five percent of the US population has contracted the virus, or close to 17 million people.

Yeah, late last night I was going to post about how the numbers jumped to anywhere between 3,500 and 3,700(was hearing slightly different numbers) on the same day emails were revealed confirming again the Trump administration was chasing herd immunity like a purple dragon.

"We want them infected."

Yet again Trump has committed a crime so huge and unthinkable that it is probably not technically a crime because no one ever imagined a president could be so monstrous.

• Guillotine 1

19 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Important to note that probably at least double that amount of people has had the virus. An antibody study was conducted by the CDC in July in 5 states that found between 5-7% of folks already had it even then.

I 100% don't believe any antibody study since there have been a lot of problems with the actual tests used, but I do believe both the cases and deaths are higher than the official numbers. As an example, the official death toll so far is 308k, but there are over 400k excess deaths in the US this year. Cases are probably 1.5-2x as high as reported, I would guess, especially since there were clearly a huge number of people infected in the beginning before the initial spring lockdowns took place (based on deaths).