~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Woodward defends sitting on Trump interview

“He tells me this, and I’m thinking, ‘Wow, that’s interesting, but is it true?’ Trump says things that don’t check out, right?” Woodward told The Associated Press, in reference to Trump telling him the virus was “deadly stuff” in February. Trump made the comments in an interview for Woodward's book "Rage," set to be released next week.

Woodward told the AP he was not convinced Trump was receiving accurate information about the virus until May, when it had spread around the country.

In March, Trump told Woodward “I wanted to, I wanted to always play it down. I still like playing it down, because I don’t want to create a panic.”

I mean, in the context he’s putting it, he’s not wrong.

5 hours ago, ort said:

I'm trying to imagine just what sort of thing Trump would have to do or say to end up having the bulk of his supporters abandon him. It won't be this. What would it take?

okay, how about an audio recording with him talking to Putin where he admits he colluded... or one where Putin reveals he has dirt on trump and is using it to his advantage. Would either end him? I think yes. 

I think we’re going to be on a wild roller coaster ride as all of these stories come out in timed succession before the election. Every reporter in the country has been gunning for trump for the last 3 years. They’re all locked and loaded and waiting for the best time to maximize damage. 

56 minutes ago, ort said:

okay, how about an audio recording with him talking to Putin where he admits he colluded... or one where Putin reveals he has dirt on trump and is using it to his advantage. Would either end him? I think yes. 

I think we’re going to be on a wild roller coaster ride as all of these stories come out in timed succession before the election. Every reporter in the country has been gunning for trump for the last 3 years. They’re all locked and loaded and waiting for the best time to maximize damage. 

Trump supporters would say it was necessary to prevent President Hillary Clinton.

3 hours ago, Amazatron said:

I don't even think an 8K video of Trump getting railed in the ass by Mike Pence while Mother masterbated in the corner with a BLM dildo would get his supporters off the cult train...

They’d all beat off to that - it’s probably one of their top fantasies if McConnel was also in the room waxing his turtle shell.

27 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

So how soon do they blame it on the Dems, even though they already passed a bill in the House months ago and McConnell is just using it as a paperweight?

lol dude Moscow Mitch was blaming the Democrats even before the vote failed

The "there is no covid" guy is the one I'm seeing more and more. People just latch onto whatever thing they want and that's their version of the truth. Facts be damned, I saw a thing on facebook that sounds pretty good to me and reenforces my worldview, so that's that's now reality. Never mind those other 10,000 articles that say it's wrong. I saw a thing, and I have dozens of stupid-as-shit idiot friends who agree with me. It has to be true.

Comorbidities associated with mortality in 31,461 adults with COVID-19 in the United States

Increasing age, being male, being black or African American compared to white, and a history of myocardial infarction, congestive heart failure, dementia, chronic pulmonary disease, liver disease, renal disease, and metastatic solid tumor were associated with mortality in adults with COVID-19. There were differences in which comorbidities were associated with higher odds of mortality depending on age group.

In this retrospective cohort study, we identified 31,461 adults with confirmed COVID-19 from EMRs from 24 healthcare organizations in the US between January 20, 2020, and May 26, 2020. Older age, male sex, black or African American ethnicity, and a history of myocardial infarction, congestive heart failure, dementia, chronic pulmonary disease, mild liver disease, moderate/severe liver disease, renal disease, and metastatic solid tumor were associated with higher odds of mortality after adjustment for these factors and other comorbidities.

Older age has been frequently reported to be an important factor associated with disease severity or mortality in patients with COVID-19 [4–6]. There is some previous evidence to suggest men, people who are black or African American, or people from certain ethnic minority backgrounds may also be higher risk for COVID-19 [7–10]. Underlying comorbidities including preexisting concurrent cardiovascular or cerebrovascular diseases, hypertension, and diabetes mellitus have been reported as highly prevalent in studies of COVID-19 patients and/or associated with poorer outcomes for these patients [5, 7, 11]. This study further suggests that cardiovascular conditions such as previous myocardial infarction or congestive heart failure may be important factors influencing mortality in patients with COVID-19. Furthermore, a recent meta-analysis of 4 studies suggested chronic kidney disease may be associated with enhanced risk of severe COVID-19 infection [12]. The results of this study agree with a recent UK-based cohort study that showed an association between older age, male sex, cardiac disease, non-asthmatic pulmonary disease, kidney disease, liver disease, malignancy, and dementia and higher mortality in hospital for patients with COVID-19 [19]. The UK-based study also showed an association between obesity and higher mortality, which could not be explored in the current study because of a paucity of data on body mass index.

Age-stratified analyses in the current study highlighted the potential importance of considering age groups when examining associations between comorbidities and mortality with COVID-19. We found a history of myocardial infarction or renal disease to be associated with mortality in all age groups, but there were differences found between age groups for which other comorbidities associated with mortality. In this study, a borderline association was found in this study between AIDS/HIV and mortality with COVID-19 when examining all adults, but age-stratified analyses suggested AIDS/HIV was associated with significantly higher odds of mortality only in people aged 50–69 years. Patients with AIDS/HIV represented a small proportion of the total patient population, and larger studies of patients with AIDS/HIV and COVID-19 are needed to further determine the association. The findings in this study of an association between liver disease and mortality for patients with COVID-19 are in line with a recently published study that used data from TriNetX and showed patients with preexisting liver disease had a higher risk of mortality with COVID-19 [20].

15 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

As Quebec mulls COVID-19 karaoke ban, performers take to the mic to speak out

I don't know what's worse -- that this hasn't already been done, or that there are some people defending performing karaoke in bars ATM.

If it were actual artists I would still be against it, but I could feel a little sympathy for people forced to give up part of their craft for an entire year or more of their life.

But karaoke is like the audio equivolent of fan fiction. "I must put everyone's health at risk so I can perform a sub-par version of Two Tickets to Paradise!"

With that amount of selfishness and lack of self awareness I am surprised it's not a news story from America.

25 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Karaoke in bars should be banned regardless of Covid.

Two of my favorites love karaoke and want me to do it. I said I only sing for friends and not randos. Also, while I'm singing, you have to be at my side playing plastic instruments. These are the rules.

9 minutes ago, Brick said:

I'm now hearing from people that because Sweden has such low deaths, and their national deaths are within the average per year, and because they never went into full lockdown that proves we never should have gone into lockdown either. 

I'm so tired. 

Given how little we knew when the lockdowns went into place, and how little we know now about long term health implications, seems a little questionable on their part. The initial lockdowns were quite reasonable policy. Maybe Sweden ends up with good results, but that doesn’t mean their process wasn’t flawed, and it doesn’t mean they couldn’t have achieved a better result.