~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

37 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

This virus is no joke. There are going to be millions of people in the US with long-term heart issues, many of whom will die prematurely.

I don't remember if I posted this already, but the debate going on over little kids going back to school, and how they'll be fine because the immediate fatality rate for kids is very low, really hit home with me because something similar happened with me.

Obviously not coronovirus, but when I was a kid I got an illness that, as far as I can tell, never really manifested as anything more serious than flu-like symptoms at the time, but eventually resulted in me needing open heart surgery as a teen that I was given less than a 50/50 chance of surviving.

Long after Trump is gone we may be feeling the effects of his profound failure on this.

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I don't remember if I posted this already, but the debate going on over little kids going back to school, and how they'll be fine because the immediate fatality rate for kids is very low, really hit home with me because something similar happened with me.

Obviously not coronovirus, but when I was a kid I got an illness that, as far as I can tell, never really manifested as anything more serious than flu-like symptoms at the time, but eventually resulted in me needing open heart surgery as a teen that I was given less than a 50/50 chance of surviving.

Long after Trump is gone we may be feeling the effects of his profound failure on this.

When news of this (hopefully!) spreads wider, I expect the counter-response by MAGA people to be something like "what doesn't kill me makes me stronger."

This virus is going to affect people for a generation, assuming we can even get it under control and wipe it out.

EDIT - It appears the official who shared this info may have been (thankfully) wrong:

The numbers appear to be lower, though they aren't saying by how much.

I really hate the narrative right now going on about how since only 6% of deaths were from Covid only, we should have just helped the elderly, and immunocompromised stay safe, while the rest of us healthy people didn't close the country down, and ruin the economy. 

The economy can heal, dead people can't. How exactly do we keep the elderly, and vulnerable safe, while the healthy people are going around spreading it? Sure the healthy people are more likely to survive, but we just keep everything going as normal, while the elderly and vulnerable are what, locked up and away to be kept safe? 

Had we just done what New Zealand did, and locked EVERYTHING down, and been serious about it, we could have stopped the spread, and opened back up much sooner, and much SAFER! 

Cuomo’s Scheme to Put 4,000 Cops in NYC Restaurants Would Be a Disaster

Nothing says health and safety like heavily armed city employees notorious for not wearing masks.

The city’s outdoor-dining program is slated to end October 31. Why not throw some of the police budget toward subsidized heat lamps to keep diners and workers in the open air as long as possible — maybe even all winter long? If New York dining ever does move back inside, the city needs to do everything it can to shut the cops out.

It looks like India is well on its way to leading the pack, and i doubt its going to go well.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/05/910080446/india-coronavirus-cases-surpass-4-million

India crossed the 4 million number after seeing the highest daily increase since the pandemic began, with more than 86,000 cases reported Saturday. Almost a quarter of those came from the western state of Maharashtra, the Times of India reported.

India has been adding more new coronavirus infections than any other country for nearly a month. While infections have plateaued in an initial hotspot, the densely populated megacity of Mumbai, the virus is now spreading in rural areas where health care is already scant. Under-funded hospitals face shortages of beds, and patients have long waits for ambulances.

The Indian government had imposed a strict lockdown in March, but lifted many restrictions amid economic hardship. According to The Hindu, India has recorded 28% of all new COVID-19 infections in the world over the past five days.

The apparent surge in Maharashtra cases could be due in part to increased testing, the Indian Express reports. More than 93,000 tests were conducted in the state on Friday, compared to about 50,000 daily tests a week prior. The states of Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka are also contributing large numbers of cases daily.

On 6/23/2020 at 9:09 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

But also, he and his wife are anti vaxxer nuts so they got what they wanted I guess. Roffle.

https://7news.com.au/sport/tennis/instagram-cracks-down-after-novak-djokovics-wife-jelena-shares-shameful-coronavirus-theory-c-991989

Welp, the big favorite for the US Open just smacked a ball out a frustration and hit a linesperson in the throat. Djokovic has been disqualified from the event.

2 hours ago, Amazatron said:

Welp, the big favorite for the US Open just smacked a ball out a frustration and hit a linesperson in the throat. Djokovic has been disqualified from the event.

No Nadal or Federer to potentially deal with and he gets himself DQ’d 😂

Seoul has done what they called a "week of stand-still." Big cafes can only do take out, restaurants must do take out only after 9pm, and all gyms are closed. It's been working--2 weeks ago we had over 400 infected in one day, today it's down to 119. But, the right-wing loons are planning another major demonstration, so expect numbers to go back up.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Oh shit I just heard about this... I didn't realize the were freshmen. That's fucked up.

When I was young I knew everything
And she a punk who rarely ever took advice
Now I'm guilt stricken,
Sobbing with my head on the floor
Stop a baby's breath and a shoe full of rice, no

I can't be held responsible
'Cause she was touching her face
I won't be held responsible
She fell in love in the first place

For the life of me I cannot remember
What made us think that we were wise and
We'd never compromise
For the life of me I cannot believe
We'd ever die for these sins
We were merely freshmen

The Verve Pipe were truly ahead of their time.

On 9/4/2020 at 6:52 PM, Brick said:

I really hate the narrative right now going on about how since only 6% of deaths were from Covid only, we should have just helped the elderly, and immunocompromised stay safe, while the rest of us healthy people didn't close the country down, and ruin the economy. 

The economy can heal, dead people can't. How exactly do we keep the elderly, and vulnerable safe, while the healthy people are going around spreading it? Sure the healthy people are more likely to survive, but we just keep everything going as normal, while the elderly and vulnerable are what, locked up and away to be kept safe? 

Had we just done what New Zealand did, and locked EVERYTHING down, and been serious about it, we could have stopped the spread, and opened back up much sooner, and much SAFER! 

The nursing home spread should have been evidence enough that it doesn't work. I'm lucky I've got retired parents and a work from home girlfriend to help me with my care, but everyday I see disabled people panic because they saw their aides in a bar on instagram. Thankfully my sub community has been pretty lucky dodging it but this shit isn't healthy.