~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

3 hours ago, osxmatt said:

That must be a huge relief. Congrats.

I feel like at some point we should have a “Are you vaccinated thread?”

While it might seem like a relief in the near future, the right now has me feeling like a truck hit me. My son is complaining about it hitting him pretty hard as well. Fuck science, but I love it :cheers:

BBC News - Covid: Brazil experts issue warning as hospitals 'close to collapse'

_117514144_066047679.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Experts fear Brazil's variants may slow down pandemic recovery, as intensive care units there fill up.

Bolsonaro is a swine that should meet his end in an abbatoir.

On 3/8/2021 at 11:30 AM, Fizzzzle said:

Oh, believe me, as someone who has to work with people, I will gladly tell someone who "forgot their vaccination card" to kindly get the fuck out. I remember when the mask mandate was first implemented, I didn't think I'd be that strict about it (for the aforementioned reasons, people take their mask off as soon as they sit down), but it quickly just turned into an asshole check for me. "Oh, you don't have a mask, after 17 years of a pandemic? You are clearly an asshole, kindly fuck off." Most of the people who didn't have masks were from Canada and Texas, too. Asshats. Sorry @sblfilms and @foosh. Also myself since I am also technically from Texas.

and so it begins...

luckily for me, I mainly just goto asian markets and people really try to avoid them. so i'm good for now.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

He died even after they drained it. :(

It’s so weird to see this story when they talk about Covid. All the stories I have been seeing are warnings about people having limited erectile function. This is one fucked up disease and just keeps getting weirder by the day and we are so close to that finish line.

16 minutes ago, Joe said:

Chill daddy.

We're opening back up to 50% capacity on Friday.

The thing is, most restaurants around here just straight up lied about their capacity to begin with. 25% capacity doesn't mean shit if you say the capacity is 100 in a place that can really only seat 40. My place came up with a full capacity of 200, which was a number they pulled out of their ass, and no one ever came by to actually check it. It's actually like 140 if you're being generous. I counted. And because the state didn't specifically say whether or not you have to maintain distance between tables anymore, places are assuming you don't have to, rather than keep doing it until they tell you not to.

17 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

We're opening back up to 50% capacity on Friday.

The thing is, most restaurants around here just straight up lied about their capacity to begin with. 25% capacity doesn't mean shit if you say the capacity is 100 in a place that can really only seat 40. My place came up with a full capacity of 200, which was a number they pulled out of their ass, and no one ever came by to actually check it. It's actually like 140 if you're being generous. I counted. And because the state didn't specifically say whether or not you have to maintain distance between tables anymore, places are assuming you don't have to, rather than keep doing it until they tell you not to.

The majority of outdoor dining spaces I've seen have clearly not been adhering to any rules like 6 feet between tables, and even here in Los Angeles a lot of outdoor dining has been turned into effectively closed tents. Definitely not looking forward to indoor reopening because most places have made it obvious they're going to take a mile if you give them an inch.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

The majority of outdoor dining spaces I've seen have clearly not been adhering to any rules like 6 feet between tables, and even here in Los Angeles a lot of outdoor dining has been turned into effectively closed tents. Definitely not looking forward to indoor reopening because most places have made it obvious they're going to take a mile if you give them an inch.

There are places here (understandable; it's cold and rains a lot) that basically just built sheds on the street. I saw one that even had plexiglass windows. Somehow I think that's even worse than just letting more people inside. At least the actual building has a ventilation system. In the shed you're just breathing other peoples' air, regardless of how far away they are.

15 minutes ago, Joe said:

Yeah, it's tough. I feel bad for these struggling small business owners, but nobody is respecting those limits, either.

That's another reason to lean things toward assuming everyone is a bad actor, the good actors who would prefer to stay takeout/delivery only or respect capacity are going to feel pressured toward exceeding capacity, etc in order to not lose business to those not giving a shit. But if dine-in is just completely verboten then yeah, you'll still hear about some restaurants allowing dine-in illegally but that doesn't really present the same pressure for everyone else to just say fuck it.

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Maybe it's the beautiful day talking but there's 0 chance I'll be eating indoors at a restaurant until late Fall.

I haven't even been doing outdoors, other than like once at 11 AM where I was literally the one in the dining area because it was pretty early for lunch; indoors is just nuts right now.

Also the place I did was go up to the counter yourself and then had a few tables outside, not table service.

I've been doing outdoors, but never in an enclosure. I kind of feel like I'm enough of a covid amplifier given my job that I don't want to make it worse. I did do indoor once recently, but it was literally me and a couple people on the slot machines in there, and the bartender and the cook.

(side note: you know the state is hurting for money when they allowed people to go inside to gamble before indoor dining actually opened up)

I’ve eaten indoors, but my weird schedule puts me in situations where I’m unlikely to be in a place that has even 10% of the capacity.

I kinda chuckle at the “Texas is going to 100%” thing because a lot of places have been 100% for a long time because they are in cities/counties that aren’t enforcing the restrictions. fortunately most of those places do have outdoor dining if we happen to have gone some place busy

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

My test came back negative (also negative for Flu). So...that's good news, though troublesome that I have chest congestion and some pressure.

Probably worth getting tested again end of this week or start of next week to be sure.

when we first opened in June, we were getting visited by the OLCC (liquor control, who normally handles like underaged drinking and whatnot and turned into a social distance task force) like once every couple weeks. Someone would come in, walk through the restaurant, make sure it wasn't overcrowded, etc. Since we opened up again in November, I don't think we've been visited once. I'm not sure if it's because the OLCC task force has reverted back to their original purpose or what, but it seems like they've just given up.

5 hours ago, silentbob said:

It’s so weird to see this story when they talk about Covid. All the stories I have been seeing are warnings about people having limited erectile function. This is one fucked up disease and just keeps getting weirder by the day and we are so close to that finish line.

It's probably just a quixotic reaction, not specific to covid. (A very small percentage of people sometimes react to things in the exact opposite way than most -- That's why there are suicidal thoughts warnings on anti-depressants)

2 hours ago, Chris- said:

I don’t see an issue eating indoors at a restaurant once vaccinated. 

Even if you're fully vaxxed indoor dining overall still seems kind of contrary to the CDC guidance of still not mixing tons of households together just because one household is vaxxed. And even though you're vaxxed it's low-risk not no-risk, during that intermediate period where a lot of people are still not vaxxed I'd rather roll the dice on things like clearing out a backlog of medical stuff I put off last year. Plus how enjoyable is it really gonna be with the servers still in face masks and face shields? I'd rather just wait a few months until the experience can be more normal and I'm not making the wait staff risk their lives to run around the restaurant for me.