~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

One of my huge reasons for continuing to a wear a mask is because I haven't even gotten so much as a sniffle this entire cold/flu season which I typically do despite getting a flu shot.

I also like the idea of not showing my entire face in public.

The freedom of not needing to shave because no one can see my spotty, shitty facial hair

:feelsrona:

20 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Doesn't everyone get a CDC vaccination card?  Just make it so if you're not wearing a mask, you have to show that before you can go in, almost like an ID.

It'd be easy as shit to fake one and people are going to lie about "I forgot my card at home" and cause a scene demanding to be let in. Even with those issues it's simply not feasible to screen everyone entering something like a grocery store for those cards.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

It'd be easy as shit to fake one and people are going to lie about "I forgot my card at home". Even with those issues it's simply not feasible to screen everyone entering something like a grocery store for those cards.

True.

And it's not like it matters to me, because I'll keep wearing mine in public for at least the foreseeable future.

The early numbers out of the UK and Israel show an 85-90% reduction in transmission by vaccinated populations relative to the co trip group. If those numbers hold up, you have no legitimate medical reason to require masking for vaccinated people in places you’ve been fine with masked but unvaccinated people going. We can’t make public policy around zero risk ideals.

Just now, Jason said:

It'd be easy as shit to fake one and people are going to lie about "I forgot my card at home". Even with those issues it's simply not feasible to screen everyone entering something like a grocery store for those cards.

Oh, believe me, as someone who has to work with people, I will gladly tell someone who "forgot their vaccination card" to kindly get the fuck out. I remember when the mask mandate was first implemented, I didn't think I'd be that strict about it (for the aforementioned reasons, people take their mask off as soon as they sit down), but it quickly just turned into an asshole check for me. "Oh, you don't have a mask, after 17 years of a pandemic? You are clearly an asshole, kindly fuck off." Most of the people who didn't have masks were from Canada and Texas, too. Asshats. Sorry @sblfilms and @foosh. Also myself since I am also technically from Texas.

15 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

One of my huge reasons for continuing to a wear a mask is because I haven't even gotten so much as a sniffle this entire cold/flu season which I typically do despite getting a flu shot.

I also like the idea of not showing my entire face in public.

Same. Unusually get super sick at least 1 week and sniffles multiple times. This past year, nothing. 

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The early numbers out of the UK and Israel show an 85-90% reduction in transmission by vaccinated populations relative to the co trip group. If those numbers hold up, you have no legitimate medical reason to require masking for vaccinated people in places you’ve been fine with masked but unvaccinated people going. We can’t make public policy around zero risk ideals.

The legitimate reason is that you have absolutely no way to be confident that the only people walking around with a mask are vaccinated. This is precisely what my own job has said about when we're ditching masks, that it'd be a fucking nightmare to enforce who has to be masked and who doesn't on an individual basis and that it'd start bumping up against improper health information disclosures. If my employer doesn't see it being manageable just with the employees then how can it be feasible in public settings?

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

The legitimate reason is that you have absolutely no way to be confident that the only people walking around with a mask are vaccinated. This is precisely what my own job has said about when we're ditching masks, that it'd be a fucking nightmare to enforce who has to be masked and who doesn't on an individual basis and that it'd start bumping up against improper health information disclosures.

Ok, it’s going to happen though and much sooner than you are thinking. Again, you can’t make public policy around the idea of zero risk. 

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Ok, it’s going to happen though and much sooner than you are thinking. Again, you can’t make public policy around the idea of zero risk. 

We're still at the point where it's way greater than nonzero risk. 

Public policy needs to convey clear, easy to follow guidelines and we're rapidly getting to a point where the guidance is going to get people thinking what they're doing is WAY lower risk than it actually is. We've already seen this with absolutely packed outdoor dining patios. 

My fiance get's asked, no less than 15x/day, if they have to wear their mask in the gym now since they're vaccinated (sometimes it's a statement like "well, I got my second vaccination so I don't need a mask anymore). She, thankfully, shuts that down real f'n fast.

• Like 2

I think society in general is ready to throw in the towel on all of these precautions way sooner than we think.

People are sick of this shit. I think by May/June people will be out of fucks to give.

I think as soon as vaccine supply catches up to demand, all of these safety measures will rapidly stop whether they should or not.

10 minutes ago, Joe said:

If it happens in the fall, whatever fine. If it happens in early summer, I would literally lose my shit.

I'd even settle for like two thirds of adults. The problem with doing it too early is that's how you drive variant creation and spread.

23 minutes ago, Joe said:

If it happens in the fall, whatever fine. If it happens in early summer, I would literally lose my shit.

Prepare to lose it. I’d be shocked if we make it to July before the CDC guidance changes to no masks for vaccinated people. And you shouldn’t lose it because it will be the correct decision based on the actual science which already is leading to the conclusion that unmasked vaccinated people are significantly less likely to spread the virus than masked unvaccinated people.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Prepare to lose it. I’d be shocked if we make it to July before the CDC guidance changes to no masks for vaccinated people. And you shouldn’t lose it because it will be the correct decision based on the actual science which already is leading to the conclusion that unmasked vaccinated people are significantly less likely to spread the virus than masked unvaccinated people.

No one is disputing that science, though. Until we know enough people are vaccinated, it won’t make sense to allow unmasked “vaccinated” people at places like grocery stores because everyone will just say they are vaccinated. 

50 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

How soon can we expect results in the US?

Just now, Joe said:

No one is disputing that science, though. Until we know enough people are vaccinated, it won’t make sense to allow unmasked “vaccinated” people at places like grocery stores because everyone will just say they are vaccinated. 

And in July there will be no reason to worry about this because of vaccination/infection immunity levels. Probably sooner.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

And in July there will be no reason to worry about this because of vaccination/infection immunity levels. Probably sooner.

I hope you are right, sir! I don’t see us getting to 70% for a while.

17 minutes ago, Joe said:

Given that ~24% of the US population is under 18 and zero vaccines are approved for below 16 currently (only one is approved for 16+), I'm with you here. Hopefully P3 data for minors comes soon and we can start vaccinating germ factories children asap.

I know 70% is still possible without kids, but, I also know that there are way too many stupid adults in the US for all but 6% to wind up being vaccinated. :p 

20 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

My mom just texted me that my younger brother was tested for Covid yesterday, and is waiting for the results.  Right now, he is somewhat ill and can't taste or smell.

Posting a follow-up to this. 

He's still waiting for his results.  He also informed us that his boss called him and told him that the entire plant he works at is shutting down until next week.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

My fiance get's asked, no less than 15x/day, if they have to wear their mask in the gym now since they're vaccinated (sometimes it's a statement like "well, I got my second vaccination so I don't need a mask anymore). She, thankfully, shuts that down real f'n fast.

Like I said, asking for a mask has turned into an asshole check for me. Over the last year, I have developed a very keen ability to tell someone to fuck off if they don't have a mask and not care about doing so.

Yay fun times here....

My father in law broke his leg a few weeks back and my sister in law came to town to help take care of him.  My wife has had to help him pretty much every day as well, and has had to take him to the ER 2 times since then.

Fast forward to this weekend and my SIL tells my wife she had a cough and fever but didn't want to get a test (she's a teacher yet hasn't gotten the vax because Western Michigan attitude) because then she would have to wait for the results to come back before she could go to work.....never mind the symptoms....but sure as shit she got tested and it came back positive.

Now she has no sense of taste, and was taken to the hospital for stroke like symptoms....

Got my whole family tested today.  I have a runny nose and sore throat, but we'll see what this fucking test says. 

Been working from home and avoid people all year and fuck I'm going to be pissed if this shit is in my house because of my wife's dumb fuck Republican family not taking this shit seriously. They have been going out to eat, kids sporting events, etc this whole time. My wife's dad is an anti masker, and says "the science says masks don't work"  he also has a Trump shrine in his house according to my wife. 

I don't wish poor health on anyone, but fuck part of me wants to just say "see what happens" when you act like this shit isn't real or serious. 

Oh and her teenage son apparently has chest pains now too...

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

That is something that I have told my wife and and others that are close to me. Just like driving, you can be the best safest driver the world has ever seen. Sadly, you share the road to millions of other and all it takes is one stupid moron to screw up everything for you. 

2 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

That is something that I have told my wife and and others that are close to me. Just like driving, you can be the best safest driver the world has ever seen. Sadly, you share the road to millions of other and all it takes is one stupid moron to screw up everything for you. 

Yea, and the problem has always been that we've been the bad people for wanting "family" to wear masks....yep...sorry for trying to be responsible.  

58 minutes ago, Joe said:

You don’t need 70%, you also don’t need kids vaccinated, you need basically people ages 50+ vaccinated at high levels. I think our 65+ population is already over 55% as of Friday, and they represent 80% of all severe Covid cases and deaths.

The risk of death and severe Covid cases drops off in a non-linear way when we get the olds juiced.

50 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Posting a follow-up to this. 

He's still waiting for his results.  He also informed us that his boss called him and told him that the entire plant he works at is shutting down until next week.

Oh, and one more thing: according to my brother, the owner of the plant agreed to pay everyone for 40 hours of work.

• Shocked 1

29 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

You don’t need 70%, you also don’t need kids vaccinated, you need basically people ages 50+ vaccinated at high levels. I think our 65+ population is already over 55% as of Friday, and they represent 80% of all severe Covid cases and deaths.

The risk of death and severe Covid cases drops off in a non-linear way when we get the olds juiced.

Risk of death isn't my concern. It's the lasting effects and potential neurological symptoms that have been reported. 70% is important.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Risk of death isn't my concern. It's the lasting effects and potential neurological symptoms that have been reported. 70% is important.

I didn’t just say deaths, I said deaths and severe Covid cases. There currently is no claims of systemic long term negative affects for those with mild or less Covid cases. There could be, but data at this point does not suggest there is.

Any random person could have incredibly severe negative impacts to a disease, but we don’t say people should fear vaccines even though some people get anaphylaxis and die after receiving one. 

If you have more recent data showing high risks of long term damage for mild-to-asymptatic cases, I would love to read about it.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I didn’t just say deaths, I said deaths and severe Covid cases. There currently is no claims of systemic long term negative affects for those with mild or less Covid cases. There could be, but data at this point does not suggest there is.

Any random person could have incredibly severe negative impacts to a disease, but we don’t say people should fear vaccines even though some people get anaphylaxis and die after receiving one. 

If you have more recent data showing high risks of long term damage for mild-to-asymptatic cases, I would love to read about it.

When did this change? 

Taxi_Driver_NYC_Mask_732x549-thumbnail.j
WWW.HEALTHLINE.COM

New research suggests that people diagnosed with COVID-19 may have a significant risk for developing anxiety or mood disorder after recovering. Scientists are still uncovering how the new coronavirus impacts the brain and the central nervous system, but they believe the infection could inhibit blood and oxygen flow to the brain and in some cases, trigger brain swelling.

Do you have a more-recent article and study disputing it?

40 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Another thing to note is that as we get closer and closer to herd immunity it will get easier and easier for spread to stop, and at the very least significantly slow down. At least we may reach a point where we can do effective trace and isolate so to eradicate the virus.

• Like 1