~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article249744923.html (it's not embedding and I've been having this issue a lot recently)

Hospital and county contradict DeSantis’ claim about role in Ocean Reef vaccine

After Gov. Ron DeSantis claimed “the state was not involved” in arranging for more than 1,200 Keys residents in the wealthy Ocean Reef community to get accelerated access to the COVID-19 vaccine in January, both Baptist Health South Florida — which supplied the doses — and Monroe County have contradicted his claims, saying the distribution was authorized by the state.

The governor has come under increasing criticism for establishing himself as the gatekeeper of vaccine distribution in Florida, as he directed doses to select communities while his political committee raised more than $3.9 million from donors, some of whom are affiliated with the vaccine locations.

• Thanks 1

The recommendations also say that vaccinated people can come together in the same way with people considered at low-risk for severe disease, such as in the case of vaccinated grandparents visiting healthy children and grandchildren.

The CDC is continuing to recommend that fully vaccinated people continue to wear well-fitted masks, avoid large gatherings, and physically distance themselves from others when out in public. The CDC also advised vaccinated people to get tested if they develop symptoms that could be related to COVID-19.

Officials say a person is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the last required dose of vaccine. About 30 million Americans — or only about 9% of the U.S. population — have been fully vaccinated with a federally authorized COVID-19 vaccine so far, according to the CDC.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm pretty sure it's only one week after the second dose for Pfizer, I'm guessing they're just trying to keep the messaging simple by saying two weeks across the board. 

It’s 2 weeks for full efficacy.

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

It’s 2 weeks for full efficacy.

No, 4 weeks. 

Overall, the vaccine was 100% effective at stopping hospitalization 28 days after vaccination, compared with 85% at 14 days, and there were no COVID-19 deaths among those who received the shot rather than a placebo. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vaccines-johnson-j-idUKKBN2AO1LS

I guess it's high enough after two weeks that they decided it was better to just have a single message on how long to wait after the final dose of whatever you're getting, though. 

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

so #3 actually seems like a pretty big freaking deal

I want to go visit my parents once everyone's vaccinated so it's nice that I won't have to bother with a post-flight quarantine. 

I’m telling you, no masks for vaccinated people is on the horizon and it will make both medical and public policy sense. We are so close.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’m telling you, no masks for vaccinated people is on the horizon and it will make both medical and public policy sense. We are so close.

Hmm, I wonder how anti-mask/vax people are going to handle this. On the one hand, they could simply say "I'm not wearing a mask because I have been vaccinated," and lie/ On the other, this would force them to pretend that they believe in vaccination, etc. Many are pretty stupid, and probably won't want to admit that (which is a good thing since it let's us know who are the idiots).

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Hmm, I wonder how anti-mask/vax people are going to handle this. On the one hand, they could simply say "I'm not wearing a mask because I have been vaccinated," and lie/ On the other, this would force them to pretend that they believe in vaccination, etc. Many are pretty stupid, and probably won't want to admit that (which is a good thing since it let's us know who are the idiots).

Actual anti-mask/anti-vax people just don’t wear masks from my observations

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Feels like yesterday you were emotional having had to temporarily close your theaters. We've come a long way.

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Obviously it's coming, people only disagree with you on when it should happen.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

It still makes life a lot harder once all this extra confusion is added. Like right now if you see someone in the supermarket without a mask you know to just give them a wide berth, but if you actually allowed vaccinated people to walk around the supermarket without a mask then it's going to be a confusing clusterfuck, and especially bad for people who haven't been vaccinated yet to have to try to navigate.

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Doesn't everyone get a CDC vaccination card?  Just make it so if you're not wearing a mask, you have to show that before you can go in, almost like an ID.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear—I meant that this move would give them cover to just lie and say they are vaccinated...but I suspect they want the confrontation, and so will not say they are vaccinated, and will continue to say they are not wearing masks out of principle.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear—I meant that this move would give them cover to just lie and say they are vaccinated...but I suspect they want the confrontation, and so will not say they are vaccinated, and will continue to say they are not wearing masks out of principle.

Why would they lie? They already don’t wear the masks. They aren’t changing their behavior :p 

Just now, sblfilms said:

Why would they lie? They already don’t wear the masks. They aren’t changing their behavior :p 

I meant that if a restaurant, for example, says that they will kick anyone out without a mask (unless they've been vaccinated), anti-mask people are stupid enough to raise a stink and talk about "their rights" and get kicked out, rather than just lie and say they've been vaccinated. 

8 minutes ago, Joe said:

We could prevent so many flu deaths if we kept masks, but nope, mah freedums!

One of my huge reasons for continuing to a wear a mask is because I haven't even gotten so much as a sniffle this entire cold/flu season which I typically do despite getting a flu shot.

I also like the idea of not showing my entire face in public.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

We could prevent so many flu deaths if we kept masks, but nope, mah freedums!

I think a middle ground is best, like what east Asians have been doing forever. If you're symptomatic of anything, wear a mask in public. People will never go with "masks everywhere all the time."

And, as someone who works in a restaurant and is at pretty high risk, it's kind of dumb at a certain point. People take their masks off as soon as they sit down. We have fiberglass barriers put up and distance between tables, but at a certain point it's like we're all breathing the same air. That's why we're only at 25% capacity right now.

Honestly I'm getting tired of it. Mainly because I'm trying to move across the country this year and I'm using "when we can go to concerts without masks on again" as a barometer for when the time is right. Give me that goddamn vaccinnnnnneeeeee