~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Something just occurred to me, and I am calling it now. Sometime in May as things open up, mask mandates are lifted, and vaccination becomes more a problem of willingness than supply or even distribution I know what the new GOP hobby horse is going to be.

Businesses that require vaccinations to return to work to people who refuse to get them.

I know there have been sporadic little stories about this happening already, but I suspect this will be one of the central culture war, cancel culture battlegrounds throughout the Summer.

It could get really ugly as the GOP goes from what I would say is it's current ambivalence about the vaccine to full blown passive endorsement of refusing it. Meaning that they don't outright say people shouldn't do it, but they go all in on promoting the idea that refusing one proves your "freedom" bona fides, gets a badge of honor for your tribe, and most importantly owns the libs!

Kind of how masks went from non-partisan, to merely undesirable, then to a full blown culture war symbol being burned on capital steps.

In a worse case scenario large employers start caving to pressure and drop otherwise very necessary working mandates leading to significant regional flare ups as these workplaces become there own little super spreaders.

But hopefully without Trump as a magnifying lens for the stupid it won't become as ubiquitous as the mask war.

I actually asked my friend who is a corporate labor law lawyer (works for the companies) if he thought companies would require the vaccine and he thought its unlikely to be a widespread requirement. Some here and there. But like, Hospitals aren’t even making their employees get it.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I actually asked my friend who is a corporate labor law lawyer (works for the companies) if he thought companies would require the vaccine and he thought its unlikely to be a widespread requirement. Some here and there. But like, Hospitals aren’t even making their employees get it.

Nobody's requiring it right now because the vaccines are available on EUAs. Hospitals already require the flu vaccine and they'll require this one too once the actual final approval comes through. Same with the military.

28 minutes ago, Jason said:

Nobody's requiring it right now because the vaccines are available on EUAs. Hospitals already require the flu vaccine and they'll require this one too once the actual final approval comes through. Same with the military.

Lots of hospitals do not require the flu vaccine, my man

2 minutes ago, Jason said:
?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig
WWW.LATIMES.COM

A pair of studies in Science examine how coronavirus variants evolve in human hosts and why experts are concerned about relaxing restrictions too soon.

Oh thank goodness, now I'm miserable again!

...wait...

1 minute ago, Joe said:

The vaccines are very effective against the variants. I wouldn't worry.

Read the article, that's not what they're addressing.

Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the CDC, has sought to walk this tightrope between hope and fear. The prospect of new viral variants, and of the conditions that foster their emergence, has been her central message to the public.

“The more virus that’s circulating, the more variants that are possible,” Walensky said on MSNBC. “And those variants can emerge and diminish the effect of the vaccine. So while we’re vaccinating people, we want to make sure there’s less and less virus circulating that doesn’t put our vaccine efficacy at risk.”

March and April “are critical periods here,” Walensky added. It’s a race between vaccines and variants, and a rapid vaccine rollout is the nation’s most potent counter to threats like the U.K. strain. Mask-wearing, social distancing and limits on gatherings “give us a fighting chance to get vaccine to as many people as possible” before cases surge again and create conditions that are ripe for the emergence of new variants, she said.

Like the “escape mutations” that erode vaccine efficacy, these genetic changes tended to get bottled up at their source. But their sheer volume made transmission of some mutations more likely, the authors said. These changes were happening “with sufficient frequency that even a rare transmission event … could result in rapid spread.”

Drop that prospect of “rapid spread” into a situation in which masks are coming off, diners are filling restaurants and fitness instructors are shouting encouragement to their students, and both the ignition and the fuel for a feared new wave are laid in place, experts said.

“This finding underscores the need to limit subsequent waves of infection in order to decrease the likelihood of new, more contagious and virulent variants emerging,” said Dr. Joshua T. Schiffer, an infectious disease physician at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle. “The more infections you have, the higher the probability that this can happen.”

In the second study, a team of infectious disease modelers set out to glean the impact of extending scarce supplies of vaccine by delaying the second dose of a two-dose vaccine regimen.

The answer, they found, relied heavily on an X-factor that likely changes from vaccine to vaccine: the level and duration of immunity conferred by a single dose. If a vaccine’s first shot confers somewhat strong protection against COVID-19, and if that protection doesn’t wane before a second shot can be delivered, then the regimen could effectively slow transmission, the researchers concluded.

But if stretching out first and second doses were to leave large swaths of the population with compromised immunity — enough to prevent death, perhaps, but not enough to stamp out infection completely — “the outcome could be more pessimistic,” the authors wrote.

Essentially, people who are only partially vaccinated could fail to clear a coronavirus infection in the same way that immunocompromised patients do. That means the virus, under pressure to evolve ways to circumvent the effects of vaccine, would find a plentiful supply of hosts in which to spawn genetic mutations.

Some of those mutations could change the virus’ behavior in ways that make it more dangerous for its hosts and fuel its ability to spread.

Most ominously, they could undermine efforts to end the pandemic through mass vaccination by encouraging the emergence of viral variants that make vaccines less effective, the researchers wrote.

We're not going with the extending the second dose strategy but the variants could spread to us from countries that do. And overall the point is the risk of jumping the gun on reopening before enough people are vaccinated.

34 minutes ago, Jason said:

Read the article, that's not what they're addressing.

We're not going with the extending the second dose strategy but the variants could spread to us from countries that do. And overall the point is the risk of jumping the gun on reopening before enough people are vaccinated.

I read it, but none of that is a reason to not be optimistic right now.

Damn...that was an amazing address. Maybe it's just that bar has been set so low from the past four years, but the first 10 minutes was so cathartic. My wife and I both teared up at Biden's summation of the grief and loss from the past year. He was right that it's not just about the loss of life - as terrible as that is - it's the loss of living that has taken such a toll on our psyche.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Damn...that was an amazing address. Maybe it's just that bar has been set so low from the past four years, but the first 10 minutes was so cathartic. My wife and I both teared up at Biden's summation of the grief and loss from the past year.

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Apparently they're whining that Biden's plan relies to heavily on the vaccines. 👀

It was fine that that was the ENTIRETY of Trump's plan though, and even then he wasn't willing to do the most basic shit like actually order enough of it.

• Confused 1