~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

My wife works at a really big preschool and their local supplier that delivers bulk toilet paper, tissues, etc. for the classrooms was only able to deliver maybe half of their usual amount. They sent some employees out to local stores to trying to find enough toilet paper to get them through the next 2 weeks. Stock was either very low or sold out of most stores. 

9 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Cabinet will continue to work, and he will likely just meet remotely instead of in-person. Chrystia Freeland might sit in for some things instead.

yeah it is 2020 I don't understand why a leader actually has to physically be anywhere to lead, we have phones, video conference, email

I have a former childhood friend who is ranting and raving over Trumps amazing response to the virus. Says he is doing great and taking on all Trumps talking points on the evil Aden’s/Media. What about our Canadian leader? Well he does the complete opposite for Trudeau and his lack of control and testing for the virus. Co-worker feels the same on both fronts and I’m left wondering “What kind of Kool Aid are they drinking?” Literally has to stop for a moment cause my co-worker just walked in as I was typing this out. Hard to get him to stop talking about Trump once the virus is out of the bag

• Guillotine 1

34 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I have a former childhood friend who is ranting and raving over Trumps amazing response to the virus. Says he is doing great and taking on all Trumps talking points on the evil Aden’s/Media. What about our Canadian leader? Well he does the complete opposite for Trudeau and his lack of control and testing for the virus. Co-worker feels the same on both fronts and I’m left wondering “What kind of Kool Aid are they drinking?” Literally has to stop for a moment cause my co-worker just walked in as I was typing this out. Hard to get him to stop talking about Trump once the virus is out of the bag

I love grape flavored but Orange is also good!

I had to get gas and well this is Costco at 9:30 am. A lineup of people snaked up and around to get access to the store

spacer.png 

Oh oh and that co-worker came back and said this is all an overreaction (above image I agree) Also said this is part of the UN’s plan to take global control on how things are run, for the elitists that run the UN itself now

31 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I had to get gas and well this is Costco at 9:30 am. A lineup of people snaked up and around to get access to the store

spacer.png 

Oh oh and that co-worker came back and said this is all an overreaction (above image I agree) Also said this is part of the UN’s plan to take global control on how things are run, for the elitists that run the UN itself now

As a Gundam fan I for one welcome our one world government overlords. 

England's league is suspended. Guess I am watching the Russian Premier league boyz.

1 minute ago, ThreePi said:

Honest question, but how come there wasn't this level of, not panic per se, but overabundance of caution in regards to swine flu? Swine flu spread very rapidly, but certainly didn't shut down major sports or events in the same way this has.

It did not kill the elderly at these rates. Also, TamiFlu was able to treat the disease. Right now, we have 0 treatments for COVID-19, though I hear that they think HIV drugs are effective.

1 minute ago, Jose said:

It did not kill the elderly at these rates. Also, TamiFlu was able to treat the disease. Right now, we have 0 treatments for COVID-19, though I hear that they think HIV drugs are effective.

Also there is no basic, latent immunity for this like there is for the flu

19 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Wouldn’t the CDC’s guidance dictate that Trump now self-quarantine?

Trump stared directly into a solar eclipse primarily because his aides told him not to, so you know he'd refuse to self-quarantine just to spite the doctor who tried to tell him to do so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Honest question, but how come there wasn't this level of, not panic per se, but overabundance of caution in regards to swine flu? Swine flu spread very rapidly, but certainly didn't shut down major sports or events in the same way this has.

Swine flue wasn't as deadly:

On February 12, 2010, the CDC released updated estimate figures for swine flu, reporting that, in total, 57 million Americans had been sickened, 257,000 had been hospitalised and 11,690 people had died (including 1,180 children) due to swine flu from April through to mid-January https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_in_the_United_States

14 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

The biggest reason is the mortality rate, swine flu was actually weaker than the typical strands at something like .01% instead of .1% of the usual flu, it was a bit more contagious but much weaker.  This virus is extremely contagious and is the mortality rate swings wildly depending on the nations response, Italy is currently at like 5% mortality rate, which is insanely fucking high, if the US was half that and about 40 million get sick, you're at a million deaths.

They just announced they are not closing the schools in my area this morning. One of my friends who teaches in city school district says his first class had 6 of 25 students in it. 

My company just sent email that they are shipping out laptops to all locations so that we can work from home if necessary.

FWIW, I went to 4 different stores this morning looking for toilet paper.  Everyone was completely sold out.  I was able to pick up water and paper towels however.  And at Walmart, I bout 8 boxes (2 cases of 4 each) kleenex for $14 out the door - which is overpriced under normal circumstances, but completely fair.

Honestly, businesses need to really increase the prices of these items that are becoming scarce, and institute reasonable rationing.  Doing neither will lead to violence eventually.

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

FWIW, I went to 4 different stores this morning looking for toilet paper.  Everyone was completely sold out.  I was able to pick up water and paper towels however.  And at Walmart, I bout 8 boxes (2 cases of 4 each) kleenex for $14 out the door - which is overpriced under normal circumstances, but completely fair.

Honestly, businesses need to really increase the prices of these items that are becoming scarce, and institute reasonable rationing.  Doing neither will lead to violence eventually.

Grandpa, can you tell us about the Poop Wars of the '20s?

3 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

How communist.

Ok, I figured there had to be a reason. I just thought it was weird because biggest response at work regarding the swine flu was "don't joke about it, you're making other people in the office nervous." Surprised that my company hasn't expanded the WFH policy yet.