~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

OK, just checked, it looks like it’s not transferable through sweat unless the sweat was infected through mucus/phlegm.

I'm gonna have to go to the gym looking like I belong in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 

Also I do have some small dumb bells at home. Think it goes up to 25 pounds and I do have one of those bike things that goes under the desk. I think I just need to stop being lazy and work out at home for the foreseeable future.

So from the school board meeting last night for the district my wife teaches in. It was found out that up to 40 students (these are children of staff members) were exposed and 12-15 staff members of the district are waiting on results due to a day care program designed to help staff members of the district get their classrooms ready to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the district. This is a result of 6 children of teachers testing positive during this program.

In my local school district, school was delayed because our county doubled our cases this past week due to an outbreak on tribal land and concerns for the school out there. 

The entire situation could basically be solved by a nation-wide lockdown for 3 weeks with absolute minimal contact between people, and with masks and distancing where that is required. It's not going to happen, but the fix (in terms of getting the massive outbreaks under control to bring levels down to a manageable level) is there.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The entire situation could basically be solved by a nation-wide lockdown for 3 weeks with absolute minimal contact between people, and with masks and distancing where that is required. It's not going to happen, but the fix (in terms of getting the massive outbreaks under control to bring levels down to a manageable level) is there.

At this point a massive testing regime should be the solution. We've had months to get capacity up, this should be what we are doing. A lockdown isn't always the solution, but it was at the time. We just fucked around and wasted the time.

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

This is something that was certainly possible in March/April, but now it seems like there’s a large percentage of the population that are just “over it” :/ 

26 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

At this point a massive testing regime should be the solution. We've had months to get capacity up, this should be what we are doing. A lockdown isn't always the solution, but it was at the time. We just fucked around and wasted the time.

25 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

This is something that was certainly possible in March/April, but now it seems like there’s a large percentage of the population that are just “over it” :/ 

Yes, and I should have been more clear—there are other solutions (such as massive testing for the entire population), as well as challenges (not having a population that's willing to sacrifice for the greater good). A total lockdown is simply the nuclear option. And it works, because countries in Europe (and Canada, and New York) have proven that it does. 

All I know is that in passing over my wife's online meeting this afternoon there were teachers yelling at their admin for potentially and intentionally (the first positive came up the previous week) putting them in harms way. All for the school board and superintendent that have been very public in denying that COVID was a problem, to get the district open. All the admin of the school did was threaten to write people that voiced their frustration for insubordination. Rural Nevada as a whole is sufficiently fucked as our numbers really start to climb.  

• Sad 2

25 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Korea isn't immune to anti-mask assholes.

I’m not sure which is worse, no masks or wearing patterns for his shirt AND shorts. Offensive.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’m not sure which is worse, no masks or wearing patterns for his shirt AND shorts. Offensive.

Bruh if you ever visit Seoul I will take you to this park downtown where all the old geezers hang. The styles will blow your mind. It looks like they are cosplaying as a mix of Elvis and Cher.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Bruh if you ever visit Seoul I will take you to this park downtown where all the old geezers hang. The styles will blow your mind. It looks like they are cosplaying as a mix of Elvis and Cher.

Whenever Americans aren’t global lepers, it’s a date ❤️

During my drive from Atlanta back to Houston, I had to stop for gas a few times.

In Georgia, 80% of people were wearing masks inside

In Alabama, 10% of people were wearing masks inside

In Mississippi, 30% of people were wearing masks inside

In Louisiana, 50% of people we wearing masks inside

I definitely got weird looks in Alabama when I walked in all masked up.

4 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Keeping the Union together was a mistake 

I have wondered before what would have happened to both nations if the US would have simply permitted the Confederate states to leave. No war won or lost, not even fought. The north and south had a symbiotic relationship to be sure, would either or both have developed into nations even remotely as powerful as the US eventually became? Or maybe they further splinter once the precedent is set that states can leave willy nilly.

34 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I have wondered before what would have happened to both nations if the US would have simply permitted the Confederate states to leave. No war won or lost, not even fought. The north and south had a symbiotic relationship to be sure, would either or both have developed into nations even remotely as powerful as the US eventually became? Or maybe they further splinter once the precedent is set that states can leave willy nilly.

There is little doubt in my mind that further splintering would have occurred with more than a little "encouragement" by the European powers.

5 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

There is little doubt in my mind that further splintering would have occurred with more than a little "encouragement" by the European powers.

Wouldn't even need that. There'd be an inevitable war between north and south anyway, because of the issue of escaped slaves and expansion into the unorganized territories west of the Mississippi. CA would have left with no secure link to the east. Doubtful Utah tries to join a divided continent, slaveholders to the south, moralizing anti Mormons to the North. DC would probably be in southern hands, or the coup that Lincoln engineered in MD would have to keep on in perpetuity. Who knows what other slave border states like KY would have done. Lots of possibilities!

The one thing I know for almost absolute certain, should the CSA had survived it would have become, or at least tried to be, an imperialist slave state in the Caribbean and South America