~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 minute ago, finaljedi said:

I know of one that either expires end of this year or next year for 10 Sony SRX-515s in a cinema that never made money but is still not shut down for good somehow.  The new owner was wanting out of the VPF agreement.

Oh yeah, Sony has some individual VPF arrangements they made when they were trying to buy up market share. Funny thing is Sony has exited the digital cinema market as of this year!

I remember Sony had all their digital projectors in Canada at AMC locations. Then my company bought them (AMC) out because they were for sale and had a very limited presence in our market place. Cineplex was pretty much all Kodak Christie Digital Projectors when we went mainstream digital theatres over the 35mm projection. No idea if we eventually replaced them too but rumoured that was the plan. 

7 hours ago, Joe said:

Was it the Moonies?!

More like a combination of the Tea Party and QAnon. The pastor said if you come to church you won't get infected, and if you start to show symptoms just take cold medicine--don't bother getting tested. Also, like a lot of Korean conservatives, they believe the current president is a secret agent working on behalf of North Korea. 

6 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

More like a combination of the Tea Party and QAnon. The pastor said if you come to church you won't get infected, and if you start to show symptoms just take cold medicine--don't bother getting tested. Also, like a lot of Korean conservatives, they believe the current president is a secret agent working on behalf of North Korea. 

I had to teach a class down there today. It was nuts. So many old people. It's really frustrating cause old people are most vulnerable, and it's old people who aren't following the rules.

12 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Did we export that madness to the ROK in 1953, or did that happen naturally?

Mike Stephenson, president of the Pennsylvania Postal Workers Union, said that the slow down in mail delivery is directly linked to the cut in overtime. Mail doesn't get sorted late at night or dispatched early morning sits in the office until the next day, said Stephenson, 66, who started working in the postal service in 1981 before he recently retired.

Stephenson said the mail piles up and is left in the aisles of the sorting offices, requiring workers to squeeze through the machines and office space while also trying to maintain social distancing guidelines in a pandemic. 

"It's a safety hazard along with everything else right now," Stephenson told Business Insider.

https://www.businessinsider.com/postal-workers-are-squeezing-between-mail-parcels-in-dispatch-rooms-2020-8

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Wrong thread?

reading comprehension broheim

Stephenson said the mail piles up and is left in the aisles of the sorting offices, requiring workers to squeeze through the machines and office space while also trying to maintain social distancing guidelines in a pandemic. 

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The actual article is more about the changes DeJoy has made to the post office and the decline of postal activity in the last 19 years.

Yeah hence why I picked out the COVID related part to put in the quote box. 

14 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Canadian government refuses to bail out CFL

This could possibly kill the league, but it was the correct call. Now is not the time to be bailing out billionaires and professional athletes when millions of lower and middle-class people are barely scraping by in the middle of a pandemic.

Does the CFL generally make money? If so, they absolutely should have given the loan. Its not just rich athletes who keep leagues running, it takes thousands of those workers who are barely scraping by. 30m isn’t exactly a huge number if the league can pay its debts.

I know nothing about the CFL though.

2 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Does the CFL generally make money? If so, they absolutely should have given the loan. Its not just rich athletes who keep leagues running, it takes thousands of those workers who are barely scraping by. 30m isn’t exactly a huge number if the league can pay its debts.

I know nothing about the CFL though.

No, the CFL loses $10-$20 million per year as a whole, while some teams make money. Also, workers (and athletes) are currently receiving the $2,000/mo CERB benefit, though it is current set to expire at the end of September and transition to normal EI (% of income).

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Laid off stadium/concession/etc employees in Canada are better off than employed Americans in similar situations

Perhaps, that doesn’t mean they don’t want to get back to work though. I know we are being paid by the band, and im doing well, but damn im ready to get back on the water (hopefully sept. 1st). I hate not working. 

28 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

No, the CFL loses $10-$20 million per year as a whole, while some teams make money. Also, workers (and athletes) are currently receiving the $2,000/mo CERB benefit, though it is current set to expire at the end of September and transition to normal EI (% of income).

I don’t believe this is true. $20 million? No way. The CFL as a whole doesn’t make much profit but there’s no way they’re losing $20 million in a typical season. 

This was a bad decision. The CFL wasn’t asking for much anyway (literally just no interest). To the argument that “we shouldn’t be bailing out professional athletes”— what makes professional athletes less important than artists and other performers that have been bailed out?

And 3 of the 9 teams are community owned so it’s not really fair to describe it as bailing out billionaires either.

4 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

I don’t believe this is true. $20 million? No way. The CFL as a whole doesn’t make much profit but there’s no way they’re losing $20 million in a typical season. 

This was a bad decision. The CFL wasn’t asking for much anyway (literally just no interest). To the argument that “we shouldn’t be bailing out professional athletes”— what makes professional athletes less important than artists and other performers that have been bailed out?

And 3 of the 9 teams are community owned so it’s not really fair to describe it as bailing out billionaires either.

Also just do a quick Google search on "average CFL salary" and "average NFL salary" these folks up north aren't living high on the hog! The highest paid CFL player seems to have as contract valued at around the NFL average.

8 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

From the article:

When appearing before the House of Commons standing committee on finance in early May, Ambrosie disclosed that the league loses between $10 million and $20 million per season.

Originally the CFL asked for $150 million with no strings attached, and the government countered with a $30 million loan with interest, which the CFL refused. The CFL then asked for $30 million with no interest, and the government refused.

So there is money on the table, but the CFL would have to pay back interest, which they are refusing to do.

We are going back to heightened social distancing measures. My wife will be working from home, I've had a class postponed for a few weeks. It's all due to that fucking church. The pastor caught the virus thankfully. I wish him a painful, agonizing recovery. 

This church is full of crazy people.

6 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

We are going back to heightened social distancing measures. My wife will be working from home, I've had a class postponed for a few weeks. It's all due to that fucking church. The pastor caught the virus thankfully. I wish him a painful, agonizing recovery. 

This church is full of crazy people.

... “escaped from the hospital”... :|

Jesus Christ. These churches...

Thankfully, my mom's church which HAD been having services in the building has now responded to the spike in cases by hosting an outdoor service. The preacher preaches over a loudspeaker in the parking lot and the congregants are parked in front of him. 

But I guarantee there are a few of them that are anti-maskers.