~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1145931

Health officials in Washington state said on Saturday a coronavirus patient has died, marking the first death in the U.S. from COVID-19, the illness associated with the virus.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said it's responding to "the first possible outbreak" of the respiratory illness in a long-term care center in Washington. The death was not associated with that facility.

1 hour ago, elbobo said:

is there anything to back this up or is it just some guy on twitter talking 

As said always take what someone says on twitter that isn't an official channel with a grain of salt. Yet with that said all recent cases in canada have been people coming back from iran not symptomatic before leaving(*), they've had a spike in cases, their healthcare system is not prepared and their deputy health minister tested positive.

* I have to check the numbers but I think the majority of canadian cases now are people returning from iran or in contact with someone (spouse) than people returning from china. 

The darkest piece of news that I have read about this is that it could potentially become a yearly thing, like the flu. Because the virus is new to humans, there is a chance it will spread wide enough to out-mutate any vaccine created, and will survive in the human population indefinitely.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

A man in his 70s with underlying health conditions -- which means he would've been at-risk for "normal" Influenza A/B in any event.

True, but we already know that cronavirus has a higher mortality in older people. 

19 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Since it's now March, I wonder: will the threat of the coronavirus die down at least somewhat as we head into spring and summer?

More people going outside in warmer months should help but I don’t know much besides that lol.