~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

25 minutes ago, Nokra said:

WTF?! :angry: 

I’m pretty sure I heard on NPR this evening that the CDC tossed out the testing data because they found out that a lot of the early tests were faulty. There are only something like 6 states that can properly test as of this week.

5 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I’m pretty sure I heard on NPR this evening that the CDC tossed out the testing data because they found out that a lot of the early tests were faulty. There are only something like 6 states that can properly test as of this week.

Correct. The original kits distributed to the Q stations were wildly inconsistent.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Pretty depressing thread. tl;dr: She has the signs, is a high-risk patient, and was told she should not seek testing because she doesn't know anyone directly who has it, and hasn't been out of the country in 14 days.

I was just talking to my mother about this and how her cousin is also deathly ill with...something. She's also high risk, works with the elderly, and is showing all the symptoms. Unfortunately, even after two trips to the ER, she doesn't qualify for being tested. She hasn't been in contact with any known infected here in Massachusetts and she hasn't been outside the country in the last couple of weeks. That sure is reassuring.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

I was just talking to my mother about this and how her cousin is also deathly ill with...something. She's also high risk, works with the elderly, and is showing all the symptoms. Unfortunately, even after two trips to the ER, she doesn't qualify for being tested. She hasn't been in contact with any known infected here in Massachusetts and she hasn't been outside the country in the last couple of weeks. That sure is reassuring.

Couldn't you just go back in and say, "on second thought I have been to China in the last week" then get tested?

Or is it like the Seinfeld episode where you can't return something out of spite but then say another reason but it's invalid because you said something else before?

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Couldn't you just go back in and say, "on second thought I have been to China in the last week" then get tested?

Or is it like the Seinfeld episode where you can't return something out of spite but then say another reason but it's invalid because you said something else before?

Good question. It wouldn't have to just be China, though. I do believe she's also be eligible had she traveled to Italy, Iran, or South Korea. However, she didn't know about any of those limits the first time she went in, so I don't think she could just make up that she forgot she was just in Italy a couple of weeks back. Maybe? No idea. I should send her a message saying to just go to a hospital out of the previous one's network and say she had been to Italy recently.

11 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Good question. It wouldn't have to just be China, though. I do believe she's also be eligible had she traveled to Italy, Iran, or South Korea. However, she didn't know about any of those limits the first time she went in, so I don't think she could just make up that she forgot she was just in Italy a couple of weeks back. Maybe? No idea. I should send her a message saying to just go to a hospital out of the previous one's network and say she had been to Italy recently.

Yes, we really want people giving false information during a time when the government needs as much good data as possible :p 

Isn't one of the reasons for somewhat limiting the number of test they are doing is due to them having limited stock of the test? Or has this issue been resolved (last I remember not all states even had test and the ones who do were limited in supply). 

Also lets not forget that this season's flu has been pretty bad and would cause many similar symptoms.

9 Dead now in Washington, one last week was added and 2 more today, and WHO has the mortality rate at 3.4% globally.  Chile and Argentina reported their first cases as well.  Models have this looking like the 1957 Flu outbreak that kill 70k Americans and a million world wide.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/03/coronavirus-live-updates/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter