Ghost of Tsushima OT - Mud, Blood, and Steel, update: Rivals mode added to Legends

SaysWho?

4 minutes ago, Brick said:

I mean people actually from and living in Japan. 

I dunno... the Japanese seem to take liberties with their OWN history and cultures (See Samurai Champloo and other anime) and they have no problem co-opting other people's histories and cultures. I don't know if they would really give a shit to be honest. I could be wrong though :shrug:

Just now, Mercury33 said:

I haven’t read any of the reviews aside from watching the EZA one. What part of BotW is in the game? I’m assuming it’s the use of color and how pretty it is?

From what I can tell, the influence is felt in the various ways that you're guided to explore certain parts of the world, e.g. the wind direction, where animals go, etc.  So it's seemingly more organic and dynamic than a quest marker or a way point arrow.

What blows me away is how so many people still seem to misinterpret the defining aspects of BotW.  In my view, what makes Zelda such a shock to the system in our current era of games is the fact that it's almost entirely focused on intrinsic rather than extrinsic rewards.  You don't decide to climb a mountain because it has a stat-boosting piece of armor or a new sword, or because you were told to - the world is so intoxicating to explore that you climb the mountain because it feels adventurous to do so, and it satisfies a goal that you yourself created rather than one that the game told you was important.  I really want Ghosts of Tsushima to be awesome, and it certainly seems to fill a niche, but it sure sounds like another checklisted chore simulator ala Assassins Creed or Horizon Zero Dawn.

I’ve got it pre-loaded but I’m not going to start until I finish TLOU2, which I’m about 2/3rd I think. 

The game looks beautiful and it’s great seeing it get decent reviews. My only concern is that a 40-50hr game grounded in reality (no supernatural aspect) might get tiresome after a while. Hopefully the unique combat and progression keep it fresh. Hearing that it can be a chorefest has me concerned. 

34 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Lol.  I understand these things are subjective, but Zelda has wiped the floor with any and all "open-world" games, probably continuing into the near future.

Depends on your perspective. Witcher 3 is still the best IMHO because I value the characters, choices, and quests. While I really enjoyed Zelda it was a little too sparse and solitary for me in terms of character interactions and story driven quests.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I dunno... the Japanese seem to take liberties with their OWN history and cultures (See Samurai Champloo and other anime) and they have no problem co-opting other people's histories and cultures. I don't know if they would really give a shit to be honest. I could be wrong though :shrug:

I mean that's why I'm wondering out loud what they think of the game. They might think it's cool, they might not. I'm not assuming one way or the other. 

24 minutes ago, atom631 said:

I’ve got it pre-loaded but I’m not going to start until I finish TLOU2, which I’m about 2/3rd I think. 

The game looks beautiful and it’s great seeing it get decent reviews. My only concern is that a 40-50hr game grounded in reality (no supernatural aspect) might get tiresome after a while. Hopefully the unique combat and progression keep it fresh. Hearing that it can be a chorefest has me concerned. 

Ghosts is 40-50 hours?

Just now, ManUtdRedDevils said:

After FF7R and Last of Us 2, I’m ready for an Ubisoft open world. Let’s go

Between those two, Persona 5 Royal, this game, Dreams, and fuck, I hear Nioh 2 and Iron Man are good, this has been a fucking crazy sendoff.

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Between those two, Persona 5 Royal, this game, Dreams, and fuck, I hear Nioh 2 and Iron Man are good, this has been a fucking crazy sendoff.

We really just need the end of the Knack Trilogy to close out the PS4. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Ghosts is 40-50 hours?

All of the reviews that I've skimmed have stated that the main storyline is roughly 30 hours, while doing most/all of the optional side content can add another 20+ hours to the experience. I play open world games rather slowly and thoroughly, so I expect this to be a good 50 hour game for me.

6 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

After FF7R and Last of Us 2, I’m ready for an Ubisoft open world. Let’s go

Same here. While I haven't played Final Fantasy VII Remake yet, I did just play The Last of Us Part II so I'm ready for a less linear and scripted big open world action adventure game that I can really sink my teeth into right now.

42 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

I really want to get this. But if the combat isn’t deep, and it’s simply go here, do this, I might hold off for a price drop. 

Every review I’ve watched or skimmed praises the combat as making you “feel like” a movie-esq samurai. It’s the stealth that seems to be weak.

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Every review I’ve watched or skimmed praises the combat as making you “feel like” a movie-esq samurai. It’s the stealth that seems to be weak.

While the reviews that I've skimmed have praised the core sword combat the most, some have also praised the stealth while others have said that it's not that strong. Based on the gameplay footage that I've seen the sword combat does look more satisfying, but the stealth doesn't look bad either. I guess that I'll find out what I think of it when I play the game this Friday.

I was interested before, and these reviews are easily above the bar to make me get it.

But I also need to finish up Bloodstained before I start a long game. I know, I'm late to the party on that one, but I kept hoping that they'd patch the Switch version into a better performing state and decided it wasn't in the cards and finally just got it for PC on the steam sale :p

7 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

While the reviews that I've skimmed have praised the core sword combat the most, some have also praised the stealth while others have said that it's not that strong. Based on the gameplay footage that I've seen the sword combat does look more satisfying, but the stealth doesn't look bad either. I guess that I'll find out what I think of it when I play the game this Friday.

The issue with the stealth is that if you get revealed the AI takes a crap and doesn’t know what to do. IGN’s video review actually demonstrates it.

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The issue with the stealth is that if you get revealed the AI takes a crap and doesn’t know what to do. IGN’s video review actually demonstrates it.

Yeah, I saw that in the IGN video review and it looked kind of janky. YongYea showed some game jank in his video review as well. Open world games are especially notorious for having jank in them on day one. But as someone who loves Eurojank games, I don't expect its few technical issues to bother me too much.

6 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Yeah, I saw that in the IGN video review and it looked kind of janky. YongYea showed some game jank in his video review as well. Open world games are especially notorious for having jank in them on day one. But as someone who loves Eurojank games, I don't expect its few technical issues to bother me too much.

It’s not really jank, the stealth just doesn’t seem to be programmed well in regards to AI responses. :/ 

I haven't paid much attention to this game until now. After reading some reviews and skimming through some videos, I don't think I'll buy it any time soon. I know myself well enough to know that I'll likely get bored of it after like 5 hours. 

It's obviously reviewing well score-wise and all but I'm not a fan of these open world formulas and even great reviews mention that it's essentially Open World Cliches: The Game so it's a pass for me for now. I'll probably end up getting it on sale later at some point. 

From what I've seen, the stealth just looks very...primitive. Like sub-Sekiro primitive. One review pointed out that the canned animations are largely to blame for a lot of bizarre stealth issues. You can't do a stealth kill over a small wall for example or when you stealth kill a sitting dude, they have to first literally jerk into their standing animation and stuff like that. Also, you can shimmy along edges but not edge-stealth-kill like in Sekiro for example. Just small stuff like that that probably feels jarring in 2020. 

Combat looks good enough though. 

I'm going to state that "serious" stealth mechanics are probably practically impossible to implement properly in an open-world game environment simply due to the inherent nature of that open-world.

All the best stealth titles (Thief, Dishonored, Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid) have relatively constrained game spaces that are essentially designed around being able to stealthily traverse the area.  Each and every part of those levels can be hand-crafted to ensure that stealth is not only the most effective way to get to the objective, but perhaps even the  only "real" way to get to the objective.

That's simply not going to be possible in an open-world environment currently, if ever.