Ghost of Tsushima OT - Mud, Blood, and Steel, update: Rivals mode added to Legends

SaysWho?

This is the last big game from Sony on the PS4. 

Man, it's been a long road, but we're nearly to next-gen. Kind of weird to think about how long it's been, at least for me: Sucker Punch developed the first big post-launch game (inFAMOUS: Second Son) and gets the final one pre-PS5 launch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Got it at the top of my GameFly Q. 

Gamefly still exists? :o

12 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

This is the last big game from Sony on the PS4. 

Man, it's been a long road, but we're nearly to next-gen. Kind of weird to think about how long it's been, at least for me: Sucker Punch developed the first big post-launch game (inFAMOUS: Second Son) and gets the final one pre-PS5 launch.

Sony has had a HELL of a run this gen... despite the PS4 not being my main gaming platform, most of my most memorable experiences this gen have been Sony first party games. God of War, Spiderman and Last of Us 2 being three of my games of the generation. That said, Sony WILL have to shake their formula up a bit next gen I think

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

Just a couple more hours until the embargo lifts for reviews to begin flooding out, can't wait to hear people's thoughts about it! 

The review embargo doesn't lift until 7:00am PST.

1 hour ago, johnny said:

I hope this game has buff women 

:badass:

Yeah for some unbeknownst reason, I had initially thought (or perhaps more likely, optimistically HOPED) that the embargo lifted at 3am EST. Oh well, I'm getting this either way so what I should be more excited about is getting off of work at 8am Friday to pick this up!

Some of the best-reviewed PS4 games this year:

pZGT8AQ.png

Past Sucker Punch games:

JNuCFaz.png

It's pretty tough for even a great new IP to crack 90 nowadays, I feel. I've kept from looking at much, so I've no idea where it'll fall, but regardless of score, I hope the stuff I'm looking forward to the most (the exploration and using the wind/animals to find secrets) is engrossing.

Also, if the side quests are as good as we're hearing, that would be a stark turnaround from Second Son's drone/camera/spray paint side missions with only one (Cole's Legacy) that had a story. I dug the district-by-district concept to weaken DUP control, but it needed more meat elsewhere. 

Though that Paper Trail one was pretty cool; I just wish it were strictly inside the game.

Game Information

Game Title: Ghost of Tsushima

Platforms:

• PlayStation 4 (Jul 17, 2020)

Developer: Sucker Punch Productions

Publisher: Playstation

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 84 average - 88% recommended

Critic Reviews

Daily Star - 5 / 5 stars

The gameplay is fun, the narrative and its characters are great, and the art direction is absolutely beautiful. The pros here vastly outweigh the cons. Ghost of Tsushima is a breathtaking adventure.

Video Game Sophistry - 10 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima perfectly balance an exquisite combat system that is easy to learn but hard to master, a complex and rich narrative ripped from the reels of Kurosawa and a free flowing picturesque world that matches the depth and mutability of story and combat. 

Simply put - Ghost of Tsushima is a perfect open world experience.

Video Chums - 9.6 / 10

Undoubtedly, Ghost of Tsushima is the greatest game of the generation. With perfect storytelling, supremely satisfying combat, and an astounding world that's packed with content and gorgeous sights, it raises the bar for open world games.

Destructoid - 9.5 / 10

With Ghost of Tsushima under its belt, Sucker Punch deserves to be in the same conversation as Insomniac, Naughty Dog, and Sony Santa Monica. If this generation is to wrap up soon, it's fitting that it'll end with Tsushima: one of its most beautiful games thus far.

Game Informer - 9.5 / 10

At turns both melancholy and thrilling, Ghost of Tsushima is the open-world action formula at its most mature and immersive. Deep, rewarding, and hard to put down

GamingTrend - 95 / 100

Ghost of Tsushima is easily the biggest and most ambitious game Sucker Punch has ever undertaken. It's also the best game they've ever made. Akira Kurosawa would be proud.

Glitched Africa - 9.5 / 10

The game is an extraordinary combination of great storytelling and combat set in a remarkable world.

Nexus - 9.5 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima is a fitting swan song for the PS4, and ends this generation of PlayStation on a triumphant note. Sucker Punch have to be applauded for once again creating a jaw-dropping open world with strong visual fidelity and some of the best art direction they've ever achieved.

The Games Machine - Italian - 9.5 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima is greater than the sum of its parts: it does not reinvent the wheel in any of its aspects, but offers an experience that will thoroughly entertain lovers of open world and oriental settings.

Worth Playing - 9.4 / 10

When the credits rolled after the final scene, I felt like I was in a movie theater and ready to applaud. I got to binge-watch and play the samurai story of my dreams. For anyone else who's ever picked up a long, empty wrapping-paper tube, held it with two hands a few inches apart, and swung it like a samurai, I have good news: We found it. We've got our game.

Geek Culture - 9.3 / 10

A fitting PlayStation first-party exclusive to arrive for the PS4, Ghost of Tsushima is an epic adventure that has all the right ingredients for major success.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4.5 / 5 stars

Ghost of Tsushima is a masterclass on how to make a palatable and focused open world experience

COGconnected - 90 / 100

I can think of no better game to be the swan song for the PS4.

Critical Hit - 9 / 10

A melancholic tale of war and a fitting epilogue to a current-gen era, Sucker Punch's latest effort is a slick showcase for the PlayStation 4 that draws you into a world that never fails to impress. Ghost of Tsushima is a masterpiece of precise gameplay, emotional turmoil and powerful world design.

DASHGAMER.com - 9 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima might be the last big gun on the PS4, but it’s also one of the best, albeit for a slightly disengaging main plot.

Game Rant - 4.5 / 5 stars

Sucker Punch Productions builds on its open-world expertise with Ghost of Tsushima, putting players in control of a deadly samurai.

GameMAG - Russian - 9 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima is a stunning mix of Assassin's Creed and The Witcher 3, based on samurai films and traditional Japanese contemplation of nature. At the same time, this is the best Assassin's Creed ever created. There are no emasculated positive heroes and unambiguous villains, the tasks are exciting and interesting. And this is currently the most fascinating and visually impressive game on the PlayStation 4.

GamePro - German - 90 / 100

Ghost of Tsushima with its wonderful world, great characters and a massive combat system is the last highlight of the PS4 era.

Gameblog - French - 9 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima is definitely the last great game PS4 deserved. It's a fantastic open world game, visually stunning, incredibly fun to play, whether you choose to progress as a noble warrior or a stealthy ninja, a very immersive representation of feudal Japan and a truly admirable love letter to the samurai movie genre. If you own a PS4, you MUST play Ghost of Tsushima.

GamesRadar+ - 4.5 / 5 stars

Ghost of Tsushima is the samurai Assassin's Creed Ubisoft will wish it had made

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5 / 5

Ghost of Tsushima is one of the few games this generation that left a momentous impression on me.

IGN - 9 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima is an excellent action game and its open world is one of the most gorgeous yet.

Next Gen Base - 9 / 10

A game full of meaningful moments, of quiet contemplation and brutal, savage combat. A game about family, tradition, honour and change that comes at a significant point of change in Sony’s videogame strategy. A more hopeful and less alienating experience than The Last of Us Part II and a step back to a more gentle and inviting form of open world adventure, Ghost of Tsushima is both a celebration of the past and a look towards the future, and is a fitting first party swansong for the PS4.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 9 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima ends the current generation of consoles on a high note.

PlayStation Universe - 9 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima elevates the existing open world adventure template with a fantasy-free Samurai adventure that deftly pays loving homage to the Samurai cinema of old. While your mileage may vary according to your level of open world fatigue, Ghost of Tsushima undoubtedly remains not only one of the best open world romps money can buy and a stunning PlayStation 4 exclusive, but also Sucker Punch Productions finest effort to date.

Push Square - 9 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima is a joy to play and a joy to behold. Sucker Punch has crafted one of the most memorable open world games of this generation, buoyed by an immensely satisfying combat system and an engaging, dramatic story.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 9 / 10

The island of Tsushima is the star of the game, with its variety and beauty, and myriad of secrets and stories. Coupled with all the interlocking systems and varied options, though making the game somewhat bloated, makes this one of the most well rounded experiences I've experienced.

Shacknews - 9 / 10

Perhaps Ghost of Tsushima isn’t a perfect cherry blossom, but it is pretty damn close as far as I’m concerned.

Sirus Gaming - 9 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima is a worthy addition to the pantheon of games under the care of Sucker Punch Productions. This honestly feels like a true return to form from a studio that wavered ever so slightly at the beginning of this generation. Sucker Punch may have stumbled a little at the gates, but with a game like this, they finish strong at the twilight year of this console generation. A full understanding of the system's strengths and a creative vision that would not compromise for anything, that's what made the samurai epic, Ghost of Tsushima, possible.

Twinfinite - 4.5 / 5

Ghost of Tsushima features a level of charm that gives it a soul and personality lacking from so many AAA games lack these days. Even if it ultimately suffers from repetition by the game’s end, and despite a lack of variety in its quest, the magic of that initial exploration and the beauty of its world will stick with me for a very long time.

Wccftech - 9 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima is Sucker Punch's best game yet and a great open world title capable of measuring to some of the biggest names in the genre. The excellent rendition of feudal Japan, along with its well-written characters and story, make Ghost of Tsushima stand out as the last must-have PlayStation 4 exclusive.

GAMES.CH - German - 89 / 100

Sucker Punch combines an epic, profound story about honor and the will of freedom with versatile action in an atmospheric setting in pre-industrial Japan. The diverse game world with all its cultural references offers a worthwhile and vast proposition, never becomming an annoying obligation.

Cerealkillerz - German - 8.7 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima often loses itself in visual details and is missing endgame challenges but still offers enough gameplay variety and content to even get classic open world RPG Fans on board. For fans of the world of samurais and katanas this game is definitely the best one in years.

Gamerheadquarters - 8.6 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima is a great experience, telling the tale of a lone individual that’s trying to hold together the idea and honor of what it means to be a Samurai despite the odds requiring new methods of engagement.

Easy Allies - 8.5 / 10

GameZone - 8.5 / 10

As the sun sets on the PS4, Sucker Punch has given the console a noble send-off with Ghost of Tsushima. Although it takes some time to feel engaged by its beautifully tragic narrative, its brutal yet eloquent gameplay and picture-esque world never fail to capture you.

Gamersky - Chinese - 8.5 / 10

The beautiful sightseeings, intense samurai combat, and fascinating side-missions of Ghost of Tsushima are appealing for me. But the dull and repetitive open-world makes the exploration experience boring.

Press Start - 8.5 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima might be built from the same stuff as its AAA, open world contemporaries, but that doesn't stop it from being one of the best open world experiences of the generation.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 8.5 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima provides us with an awesome trip to feudal Japan that only lacks a bit of story depth.

New Game Network - 84 / 100

Ghost of Tsushima offers a well-designed open world that combines great combat with enticing exploration. The excellent art style brings this unique historical setting to life, and smart design choices help the game overcome its minor flaws.

Spaziogames - Italian - 8.2 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima is probably the best game about Japan, but the story is too simple and the complex combat system can be tricked by evasive actions that transform it into an easy game.

AusGamers - 8.1 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima isn’t perfect, not even close. But neither is Jin Sakai, and his journey from Samurai to Ghost is one worth savouring, and a Legendary Tale all its own.

Gadgets 360 - 8 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima falls a bit short. The narrative blocks and storytelling are too straightforward. To add to that, the side-quest bloat seeps the narrative of its pacing

Game Revolution - 4 / 5 stars

Ghost of Tsushima is a worthy addition to the roster of must-play PS4 exclusives that have kept players loyal to the console.

GameByte - 8 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima offers an open world that is fun to experience but is let down by its missions. If you can look past that though you will love it.

GameSpew - 8 / 10

It is quite possibly the best samurai game ever made, and is well worth picking up if you’re after another epic open-world to get lost in. Just temper your expectations as much as your steel.

PowerUp! - 8 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima isn't perfect but, like a summoned objective on your touchpad, it's a breath of fresh air that'll send a warm chill down the spine of any Samurai aficionado.

TheSixthAxis - 8 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima is an artistic triumph, capturing a real cinematic feel through its visuals, immersive world and soundtrack. However, Jin is a serviceable main character and he and his journey to save Tsushima is often overshadowed by secondary characters and smaller, more personal stories found in the side quests. Throw in some formulaic missions and an awkward user interface, and Ghost of Tsushima is at times more style than substance.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 8 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima is an artistic experience packed with an engaging adventure that bring us many wonderful and thrilling storytelling moments.

TrustedReviews - 4 / 5 stars

Ghost of Tsushima is an excellent open-world adventure from Sucker Punch Productions which adds some innovative ideas to a fairly stagnant genre. The game's depiction of the time period is generic and inoffensive, but that doesn't prevent it from being a stunning visual showcase and a worthwhile swan song for the PS4

USgamer - 4 / 5 stars

Sucker Punch's first stab at a stealth action adventure hits the mark. The island of Tsushima is a beautiful backdrop for this tale of revenge and honor and the environmental art is a visual treat. Combat and stealth are largely solid, though there are issues with the camera and hitting the right targets. The biggest stumble comes with the Japanese vocal track, which isn't synced correctly with the character's lips, a shame for a game like this. Ghost of Tsushima isn't the most innovative way to end a generation, but it is a fun one.

VideoGamer - 8 / 10

The game may never have been as sweet as it was in the first of the three main areas, but, to its credit, that’s because I was swept along by the story.

3DNews - Russian - 7.5 / 10

A decent open-world game with gorgeous art direction and some unfortunate missteps which become more and more apparent the more you play. Whatever you are doing here, almost every mission ends up with two or even three fights with mongolian soldiers. And even engaging stories during these quests can't fix the repetitiveness.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 7.5 / 10

In short, the Ghost of Tsushima wind blows lightly.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Turkish - 75 / 100

If the game was developed a little more it might have turned out to be a classic, but with this current state Ghost of Tsushima is only a good action game.

GameSpot - 7 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima has some dull edges, but strikes a lot of highs with its cinematic stylings.

Metro GameCentral - 7 / 10

A competent but shallow and overfamiliar attempt to replicate Assassin's Creed style open world adventure in the world of 13th century samurai.

Paste Magazine - 7 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima just wants you to play a game you’ve basically already played many times, while also telling you about that cool old samurai movie it watched the other day. Which one sounds more interesting to you?

Spiel Times - 7 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima is an enjoyable but muddled experience: its strong gameplay fundamentals are hampered by a lack of originality and weak storytelling.

Too Much Gaming - 7 / 10

As an earnest, respectful tribute to jidaigeki dramas and the films of Akira Kurosawa, Ghost of Tsushima fares well enough. It creates a fictionalized account of the Mongol Invasion and weaves the tale into the most videogamey of videogame things – an open-world sandbox filled with straw-hat wearing ronin, mischievous foxes, hot springs, and meditative haiku. It’s easily the most ambitious output from Sucker Punch Productions to date.

Digitally Downloaded - 3 / 5 stars

A wild misfire with every narrative element it attempts, and it boils down to this: Sucker Punch decided to do a historical epic inspired by Kurosawa… and produced something that fails as both history and as a pastiche of Kurosawa.

Nerdburglars - 6 / 10

Ghost of Tsushima is an artistically creative game that often feels like a realistic Zelda game. The minimal UI, clever use of wind and beautiful environmental details make exploration rewarding on its own. When it comes to combat, the game falls flat. With a huge number of combat games to draw inspiration from, it is a shame this game is more like Dynasty Warriors than it is Ninja Gaiden. Endless button mashing with no way to ever pull off slick combos will have you feeling bored very quickly. You never feel like the powerful warrior the story tries to make you believe you are. Combat feels like you are trying to beat a screw into a piece of wood using a hammer.

Telegraph - 3 / 5 stars

Sucker Punch's PS4 tribute to Akira Kurosawa is gorgeous to behold but its sparse open-world and bloated mechanics has it falling short

VG247 - 3 / 5 stars

Like the samurai, Ghost of Tsushima feels like a relic of a bygone era.

ACG - Buy

Ars Technica - "An open-world haiku of honor, stealth, and revenge"

If you need to get lost in over 30 hours of heroic gameplay right now, in a single-player adventure with no online connectivity gimmicks or content locked away as DLC, Sucker Punch has you covered with an instant contender for 2020's game of the year.

Echo Boomer - Portuguese - Loved

Despite some minor flaws, Ghost of Tsushima is trully a love letter to samurai cinema.

Eurogamer - "A likeable, if clunky Hollywood blockbuster"

It's desperately frustrating, because I maintain that Ghost of Tsushima is still, largely, quite fun. The problem is it's an easy, breezy, lite beer kind of fun - the kind that Sucker Punch is known for, after all - and the blanket genericism of it just doesn't sit well against such a po-faced tone. It's another game fallen victim to the palatability blender, coming out the other side as a slightly formless smudge of every genre, without a mastery of any. Going back to Ghost of Tsushima's roots, as an American game inspired by the comics and the movies of Japan, in a way it's quite apt. It's what happens when you want to pay homage, but don't want to add anything new of your own. It's Hollywood.

Kotaku - Unscored

Ghost of Tsushima is pretty as heck—sporadic capturing left me with almost 50 GB worth of screenshots and short video clips to sift through—but at its core, it’s just another open-world game. I found myself audibly sighing every time I crested a hill towards a mystery objective only to find another fox to follow or another haiku to compose. These diversions, while unique at first glance, proved to just be busy work as time wore on. I was so strong by the end of the game—filling up every skill tree is easy if you ignore the main story and just explore for a bit—that I didn’t even bother using stealth tactics for the last third. I don’t think I even died after the first few hours. There’s so little to get excited about in Tsushima once the initial wonder of the wind physics and lush environments wears off that the only thing that kept me going was my own innate desire to fill out the entire map. And that can only hold someone’s interest for so long.

Player2.net.au - A-

The world is enormous, filled to the brim with rich content to explore. It can be a bit much sometimes with the number of artefacts you can find or haikus to sit and devise bloating things a little bit, but players will be blown away by the deep storytelling and unbelievable style and personality that Ghost of Tsushima brings to the table.

Polygon - "You’ve played this before - A great setting let down by rote design"

Ghost of Tsushima has a distinctive aesthetic, after all, but it’s only skin-deep. The core game underneath that alluring exterior is a pastiche of open-world game design standards from five years ago; it lacks a real personality of its own. Ghost of Tsushima offers a lovely world to explore, and there’s value in that, but it should have been so much more than a checklist of activities to accomplish.

Skill Up - Unscored

Don't see GI or IGN yet, but IGN gave it a 9 and Game Informer gave it a 9.5.

I haven't been able to read much, but considering the praise from GI and IGN and the, "Good but has issues," from Gamespot, I'm looking forward to diving into them and seeing what their criticisms and praise were.

I wonder how people in Japan feel about this game. To see a Western studio take their history and culture, and make a game from it. If Sucker Punch gets a lot of thinks accurate they might think that's pretty cool, but if they get a lot wrong, then the Japanese might be rolling their eyes at this Western dogshit that doesn't understand anything. 

9 minutes ago, Brick said:

I wonder how people in Japan feel about this game. To see a Western studio take their history and culture, and make a game from it. If Sucker Punch gets a lot of thinks accurate they might think that's pretty cool, but if they get a lot wrong, then the Japanese might be rolling their eyes at this Western dogshit that doesn't understand anything. 

Not sure if these guys are Japanese but THEY seemed to like it :p