Ghost of Tsushima OT - Mud, Blood, and Steel, update: Rivals mode added to Legends

SaysWho?

Haven't watched the video yet, and have also only played this game on PS5, but yes, it runs very well. Meaning my only real complaint with it is all the wooden, almost comically stoic non-characters that plague the title. That and I find the samurai setting to be kind of lame in general, but combat's alright and the world seems pretty fun to explore so far. Really makes me want a jump button for Assassin's Creed. Nice to just be able to jump on shit. Guess I kind of got that with Immortals Fenyx Rising, but now I'm rambling.

• 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Ghost of Tsushima (17 July 2020) OT - Mud, Blood, and Steel, update: lead developers named as "permanent tourism ambassadors" of the island

My favorite Photo Mode I've used so far.

I think the game in some ways snuck up on people because I felt, at least on the hardcore side, people thought it was a "check off the boxes" open world game, and I also feel as it was overshadowed by TLOU2, a terrific experience.

But Tsushima really has quite a bit going for it.

1. Side quests are well done. Many of them involve a longer quest line and gives you more information about the characters. I heard some people on a board comparing them to Witcher 3, and for whatever you think of that comparison, I think it's 100% accurate that there was much thought put into many of these side quests and some well-written ones that delve into some of the major characters. You do have the one-and-done ones as well, but the majority aren't.
  2. Exploring is a lot of fun. Where is the wind going, oh shit there's a fox (always felt guilty if I couldn't find the fox after praying), oh shit there's a bird, look at the smoke over there. It tried to give more agency as to where to go, so instead of waypoints, it was the wind guiding you, and I thought it did help engross you more since you weren't looking at a map. It was also just nice to stumble on things, which I think more open worlds tried to do last gen (Breath of the Wild and Red Dead Redemption 2 being two of the biggest examples).
  3. Combat was actually really good, and the Japanese film style openings such as those opening stand-offs were actually really cool. By the time I was upgraded, I was taking out three of them before starting the fight and feeling like a badass.
  4. Boss fights were also really good. The tighter battleground for boss fights wasn't restrictive; it ended up making the fights feel more personal and made reflexes even more important since you had less room to maneuver.

The first part I think is the most impressive because their previous game, inFAMOUS: Second Son, was criticized for its side missions. There were fewer shards to find, fewer missions in general, with everything side related (besides Cole's Legacy) was about taking over districts doing some things like destroying security cameras, finding some undercover agent in a crowd, or taking down easy-to-find drones carrying shards. On its own, taking back control from the DUP is a good idea, but that's all it had. First Light was actually a really good stand-alone experience but because it's an expansion, side missions were few and far between. So the fact that they came back from that to deliver the side content they did is commendable.

33 minutes ago, Brick said:

Did they ever fix the lip syncing if you played with Japanese voice actors? I remember people complained about that, but I wonder if that's even fixable given that it was performance captured. 

It remains not fixed, and is why I played the English dub. I recently was watching my brother-in-law play it and he's playing it in Japanese and the lip syncing is distractingly off. He seemed to live with it though.

The English dub is good, so it's not too big a deal but would have been nice. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Brick said:

Huh I guess that makes sense. They could even still use Daisuke Tsuji for Jin, but something tells me Sony Pictures would want to go with a bigger name actor. 

With the way hollywood has been going it will be some white guy like Woody Harrelson or something.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Ghost of Tsushima OT - Mud, Blood, and Steel, update: Sony Pictures developing film to be directed by Chad Stahelski (John Wick)
  • SaysWho? changed the title to Ghost of Tsushima OT - Mud, Blood, and Steel, update: Rivals mode added to Legends