Ghost of Tsushima OT - Mud, Blood, and Steel, update: Rivals mode added to Legends

SaysWho?

1 hour ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I'm going to state that "serious" stealth mechanics are probably practically impossible to implement properly in an open-world game environment simply due to the inherent nature of that open-world.

All the best stealth titles (Thief, Dishonored, Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid) have relatively constrained game spaces that are essentially designed around being able to stealthily traverse the area.  Each and every part of those levels can be hand-crafted to ensure that stealth is not only the most effective way to get to the objective, but perhaps even the  only "real" way to get to the objective.

That's simply not going to be possible in an open-world environment currently, if ever.

Batman Arkham series has the best stealth combat and is open-world.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Metal Gear Solid Five is open world-ish and has pretty solid stealth mechanics too. Iprefer games where stealth is an option, not forced.

A really slept-on aspect of MGSV is actually the online base invasion stuff. There was a huge player base still when I played it even years later and infiltrating other players' bases was the best stealth shit I've ever played. The enemy soldier AI is much more aggressive than in the base game as well and pretty close to 'realistic'.

On 7/14/2020 at 1:29 PM, Brick said:

I wonder how people in Japan feel about this game. To see a Western studio take their history and culture, and make a game from it. If Sucker Punch gets a lot of thinks accurate they might think that's pretty cool, but if they get a lot wrong, then the Japanese might be rolling their eyes at this Western dogshit that doesn't understand anything. 

While the Japanese can be racist and xenophobic, they do not subscribe to cultural appropriation in the least (because they aren’t crazy people, they realize other cultures using things from theirs is not an insult). 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

While the Japanese can be racist and xenophobic, they do not subscribe to cultural appropriation in the least (because they aren’t crazy people, they realize other cultures using things from theirs is not an insult). 

Cultural appropration isn't even a real thing, it's just something created by our over-sensitive generation to justify being offended by everything.

People will scream "cultural appropriation!" at an American company trying their hand at Japanese culture, then go happily eat their Taco Bell.

• Haha 2

Just now, XxEvil AshxX said:

Cultural appropration isn't even a real thing, it's just something created by our over-sensitive generation to justify being offended by everything.

People will scream "cultural appropriation!" at an American company trying their hand at Japanese culture, then go happily eat their Taco Bell.

I agree man. I am A native. My wife is half native/half black. Most people i see bitching about it are white college age liberals. As long as you aren’t using parts of my culture to insult it, have at it. 

35 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I agree man. I am A native. My wife is half native/half black. Most people i see bitching about it are white college age liberals. As long as you aren’t using parts of my culture to insult it, have at it. 

Remember White College liberals are EXPERTS at what people should and shouldn't find offensive. 

Back to the game, THIS popped up in my youtube feed today.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Very cool.  What tribe are you from?

44 minutes ago, nublood said:

Very cool.  What tribe are you from?

On my mothers side I’m Sioux. My mother says my father was Lakota, I never met him, he was a one night stand I believe, and died when I was young. But its not really simple, because my mom is half Sioux, half Aleut (I grew up with my grandparents in Alaska, on the Aleut peninsula, but by Indian Tradition (and treaty) im oficially a Sioux. 

my wife is half African American, half Cree (her mother is from Canada). 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Remember White College liberals are EXPERTS at what people should and shouldn't find offensive. 

Back to the game, THIS popped up in my youtube feed today.

I don’t Care if he thinks its good or bad, I love that movie. I will watch to see what he says later.

edit: thought it was just about the Last Samurai 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I'm not screaming "cultural appropriation" at this game, I'm just wondering how Japanese people will find this game. They might think it's cool, they might think it's shit, I don't know hence why I'm curious. I'm sure Sucker Punch had a lot of Japanese consultants on this game, probably even a few developers of Japanese heritage, to make this feel authentic. 

It'd be like if a Japanese team decided to make a game about the history and culture of Canada, I'd think cool, but if it's not accurate, cliché, and stereotypical that would suck and be a bit disappointing. That's all. I'm wondering how Japanese people are going to like the game. Will they think it's awesome, or think, "yeah no you guys don't understand much of our history"?

You guys seem to be making a bigger deal about me wondering about this than it is. 

As for cultural appropriation itself, I'd say it's definitely a real thing. Things might get labeled as it when not appropriate, but it's definitely a thing. For example would it really be appropriate for me to dress up in clothing from a different culture that was only used in a sacred religious ceremony simply because I thought it looked cool? Probably not. If however I was invited to said ceremony as a guest, and given the clothes to wear to the event, then yes that's fine, as I'm not just wearing it as everyday street clothing, and instead taking part in it. A Hindu wedding might be a good example. The dresses worn to such an event can be very elaborate and beautiful, but would it really be appropriate for a white woman to wear one as an every day dress if she's not Hindu or if Indian heritage? Probably not. If the Hindu bride has white friends, and invites them to her wedding, then that would be fine for them to wear them, especially since the bride has given them permission. Them wearing it out on the street I can see someone of Hindu/Indian background getting a little offended that they're wearing it because they "thought it's pretty". 

Doesn't hurt to just ask if something is appropriate or not though. People also have differing opinions of course. I can ask someone if something is appropriate, and they could tell me no, whereas I can ask someone else the same thing and they can tell me to go ahead. BloodyHell has mentioned before that he doesn't mind being called an American Indian, but I've seen other Native Americans who get offended at that because they think Christopher Columbus was a racist idiot, who thought he found India just because he met people with darker skin. It doesn't hurt to be careful, and I'm certainly not going to tell someone they're wrong if they don't feel offended at something I think they should be because I think it's cultural appropriation. I'd rather be overly careful, and be told to relax, it's OK, than not be mindful, and thought of as ignorant. 

There's probably better examples of cultural appropriation out there. Remember Rachel Dolezal? 

This part bothered me a bit from the IGN review

As good as the English voice cast is, though, it’s a shame that Sucker Punch wasn’t able to find a way to have the performance capture match the Japanese voice acting as well. As a result, if you choose to play with the excellent Japanese audio track, which features the outstanding Kazuya Nakai as Jin, it comes off as a comparatively cheap dub with wildly mismatched lip flaps and facial expressions that don’t mirror the emotion in the voice. It’s not a huge issue as it’s still well worth playing in Japanese

I was planning on playing in Japanese but not if it is gonna look like a bad kungfu movie.

There's probably better examples of cultural appropriation out there. Remember Rachel Dolezal? 

If you haven't, you might want to watch the Netflix documentary about her. What she did was hard to defend and understand, but it was hardly as cut and dried as a simple case of cultural appropriation. She's raising three black kids... that goes a little bit beyond simply braiding her hair and eating fried chicken. Historically in America if you were non black but lived amongst black people whether you were black or not, you got treated like you were black . This especially true of White and Native women in the South.

13 minutes ago, Brick said:

I'm not screaming "cultural appropriation" at this game, I'm just wondering how Japanese people will find this game. They might think it's cool, they might think it's shit, I don't know hence why I'm curious. I'm sure Sucker Punch had a lot of Japanese consultants on this game, probably even a few developers of Japanese heritage, to make this feel authentic. 

It'd be like if a Japanese team decided to make a game about the history and culture of Canada, I'd think cool, but if it's not accurate, cliché, and stereotypical that would suck and be a bit disappointing. That's all. I'm wondering how Japanese people are going to like the game. Will they think it's awesome, or think, "yeah no you guys don't understand much of our history"?

You guys seem to be making a bigger deal about me wondering about this than it is. 

As for cultural appropriation itself, I'd say it's definitely a real thing. Things might get labeled as it when not appropriate, but it's definitely a thing. For example would it really be appropriate for me to dress up in clothing from a different culture that was only used in a sacred religious ceremony simply because I thought it looked cool? Probably not. If however I was invited to said ceremony as a guest, and given the clothes to wear to the event, then yes that's fine, as I'm not just wearing it as everyday street clothing, and instead taking part in it. A Hindu wedding might be a good example. The dresses worn to such an event can be very elaborate and beautiful, but would it really be appropriate for a white woman to wear one as an every day dress if she's not Hindu or if Indian heritage? Probably not. If the Hindu bride has white friends, and invites them to her wedding, then that would be fine for them to wear them, especially since the bride has given them permission. Them wearing it out on the street I can see someone of Hindu/Indian background getting a little offended that they're wearing it because they "thought it's pretty". 

Doesn't hurt to just ask if something is appropriate or not though. People also have differing opinions of course. I can ask someone if something is appropriate, and they could tell me no, whereas I can ask someone else the same thing and they can tell me to go ahead. BloodyHell has mentioned before that he doesn't mind being called an American Indian, but I've seen other Native Americans who get offended at that because they think Christopher Columbus was a racist idiot, who thought he found India just because he met people with darker skin. It doesn't hurt to be careful, and I'm certainly not going to tell someone they're wrong if they don't feel offended at something I think they should be because I think it's cultural appropriation. I'd rather be overly careful, and be told to relax, it's OK, than not be mindful, and thought of as ignorant. 

Im just saying, 90% of cultural appropriation claims are bullshit. 

ive seen white people claim its cultural appropriation for other white people to wear ceremonial outfits, most of which are bought directly from Native artisans. If we didn’t want you wearing it, we wouldn’t sell it. 

my wife feels the same about dreadlocks.

Who cares if it's "appropriate" or not? That's completely subjective. As long as you aren't doing it to make fun of a culture, I welcome people from other cultures showing interest in mine, even if it is just "oh I think that looks pretty".

I remember some white girl wore a qi pao to prom and a bunch of douchenozzle asians on Twitter gave her shit because "our ancestors blah blah blah". Shut the hell up, we have enough division as is. Use it as the perfect opportunity to have them learn more about our respective cultures.

This part bothered me a bit from the IGN review

As good as the English voice cast is, though, it’s a shame that Sucker Punch wasn’t able to find a way to have the performance capture match the Japanese voice acting as well. As a result, if you choose to play with the excellent Japanese audio track, which features the outstanding Kazuya Nakai as Jin, it comes off as a comparatively cheap dub with wildly mismatched lip flaps and facial expressions that don’t mirror the emotion in the voice. It’s not a huge issue as it’s still well worth playing in Japanese

I was planning on playing in Japanese but not if it is gonna look like a bad kungfu movie.

This might be one of those instances where performance capture wasn't necessary. The character of Jin is modeled after a real actor, which I've mentioned before that except for certain instances, I'm not a fan of games modelling their characters after actors instead of creating unique looking characters, and I wonder if that makes things more difficult when trying to lip sync the performance to another language.

Actually now I'm wondering how other games that feature performance capture handle their overseas versions that have to be translated into several different languages. Is it common to go back and re-animate the facial expressions so that lip syncing matches? Maybe it's not and people in other countries like Portugal, Germany, China, etc. are always disappointed that the lip syncing is off.

I hope it's something that could get patched in, as I too would like to play this with the Japanese voice track.

Regarding the potential Japanese reaction to this game, from what I've read from some commentators, the nationalistic Japanese right-wing will ADORE this game's depiction of "samurai culture" as it effectively embraces the propaganda about that culture that the militarist government of Japan promulgated prior to WWII.

Who will probably NOT appreciate this game are the other East Asian cultures who were victims of that government.

58 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Just watched this video and realized how crazy it is that I've either seen or own all of these films and shows except for the very first one.  Need to rectify that and can't wait for Ghost of Tsushima... I've always been fascinated by Samurai and Feudal Japan.

Same. My grandfather loves them, and we would watch either a samurai movie, a western, or a kung foo movie. 

when we would go into the hunting grounds, we had a camp and a generator. We had two movies in the camp, Throne of Blood, and Seven Samurai. Spend the day shooting caribou from boats, and the night watching the same movies over and over

14 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Same. My grandfather loves them, and we would watch either a samurai movie, a western, or a kung foo movie. 

when we would go into the hunting grounds, we had a camp and a generator. We had two movies in the camp, Throne of Blood, and Seven Samurai. Spend the day shooting caribou from boats, and the night watching the same movies over and over

My grandfather was big into Westerns too... I used to love bringing the more modern ones to him and watching them with him.

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

My grandfather was big into Westerns too... I used to love bringing the more modern ones to him and watching them with him.

I still do the same all the time. He’s 93 now. Most disappointed I’ve seen him was the Deadwood movie. He loved Hell on Wheels though. But he would still rather watch Fist Full of Dollars or 36th Chamber of the Shaolin. It makes him incredibly happy to watch the old movies. Probably reminds him of his youth. 

he actually started watching Samurai movies in Vietnam. Apparently they were easier to get your hands on than anything else, because regardless of the side you fought on, everyone wanted entertainment. 

32 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I still do the same all the time. He’s 93 now. Most disappointed I’ve seen him was the Deadwood movie. He loved Hell on Wheels though. But he would still rather watch Fist Full of Dollars or 36th Chamber of the Shaolin. It makes him incredibly happy to watch the old movies. Probably reminds him of his youth. 

he actually started watching Samurai movies in Vietnam. Apparently they were easier to get your hands on than anything else, because regardless of the side you fought on, everyone wanted entertainment. 

That's awesome man... enjoy your grandpa while you still have him. I lost mine three years ago and lost my grandmother earlier this year. I only have one living grandparent left.

Back to the game... The Photo Mode is supposed to be REALLY good. I need to utilize these modes more.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Just watched this video and realized how crazy it is that I've either seen or own all of these films and shows except for the very first one.  Need to rectify that and can't wait for Ghost of Tsushima... I've always been fascinated by Samurai and Feudal Japan.

The Sword Of Doom is a bloody masterpiece, criterion version is pretty much a 10/10. 

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That's awesome man... enjoy your grandpa while you still have him. I lost mine three years ago and lost my grandmother earlier this year. I only have one living grandparent left.

Back to the game... The Photo Mode is supposed to be REALLY good. I need to utilize these modes more.

I saw some footage of Black and White mode, it looks incredible.