No. 1 milk company declares bankruptcy amid drop in demand

https://apnews.com/5eb1173f5e2b4994927bc921f5b49f0e

Darin Von Ruden, president of the Wisconsin Farmers Union, said he is concerned about Dean Foods selling itself to Dairy Farmers of America.

“That’s two of the five biggest companies in the country, and when you start looking at that kind of consolidation, is that good for producers? The answer is probably no,” said Von Ruden, who is selling his dairy operation to his son.

Dean is already a product of consolidation. It was bought by Suiza Foods Corp. in 2001. The new, larger company assumed the Dean name and bought several other milk producers.

Since 1975, the amount of liquid milk consumed per capita in the U.S. has tumbled more than 40%. Americans drank around 24 gallons a year in 1996, according to government data. That dropped to 17 gallons in 2018.

An increasing variety of beverages, including teas and sodas, has hurt milk consumption. So have protein bars, yogurts and other on-the-go breakfasts, which take the place of a morning bowl of cereal.

More recently, health and animal-welfare concerns have also contributed, as more shoppers seek out non-dairy alternatives.

Oat milk, for example, saw U.S. sales rise 636% to more than $52 million over the past year, according to Nielsen data. Sales of cow’s milk dropped 2.4% in that same time frame.

Not all dairy products have been affected. U.S. butter and cheese consumption is up since 1996, for example.

800.jpeg

Notice the 2/6.19 price is a sale price.

I don't drink milk anymore because it causes an explosion around the anus area. On a related note, I just had gelato and am about to climb the bell tower in Florence. If you see anything on the news about an American arrested for having explosive diarrhea off the top of Giotto's campanile, please start a gofundme to bail me out of Italian jail.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

I don't drink milk anymore because it causes an explosion around the anus area.

I supposedly had that issue, or was lactose intolerant and even had

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

lactase pills broheim

when I was younger, but then I stopped feeling like taking the pills and never really had any huge issues, I guess Domino's pizza gave me anus explosions but not since they changed their recipe :o

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I supposedly had that issue, or was lactose intolerant and even had

when I was younger, but then I stopped feeling like taking the pills and never really had any huge issues, I guess Domino's pizza gave me anus explosions but not since they changed their recipe :o

I'm lactose intolerant too and it really depends on what dairy you're eating. A lot of dairy is naturally low lactose.

4 minutes ago, CayceG said:

The only milk I drink is the half and half I put in my coffee. MILLENNIALS ARE KILLING MILK.

Same, though there is a local dairy farm that makes killer chocolate milk (literally tastes like chocolate ice cream), so I treat myself to that on occasion. 

33 minutes ago, Jason said:

I can have a once in a blue moon oatmeal cookie or whatever but any consistent oats consumption sets off my ulcerative colitis. :(

Even in oat milk form like that? That sucks man.

I can't even drink all oat milks as not all are gluten free, but Oatly is.

There seems to be a threshold I have to cross to have issues. Like, in grad school I went a long time having a slice a day of this bread that had some oats in it with breakfast, and that was fine. But I've tried snacking on a bunch of granola for several days straight and that eventually had me in the bathroom. Most of my milk consumption is in coffee so I probably wouldn't have an issue from that, but Lactaid milk serves me fine and also has the benefit of long expiration dates and lasting for weeks even once it's been opened. So for milk in coffee, eh, whatever, like I said, it's oatmeal that's the one I'm actually upset about missing out on.

12 minutes ago, Jose said:

That sucks. I was going to suggest quinoa as it can get very soft when you cook it, but google says no. And here I am complaining about having to be gluten free.

What do you mean "Google says no"? Not healthy/not similar enough nutrition profile to oatmeal?

They got some really good chocolate milk out here I get from time, but other than that I haven't drank a straight glass of regular white milk probably since I was a teenager. I don't have any kids so most milk I buy half of it goes to waste anyway so I just try to keep a half gallon around to add it into something every now and then, or every once in awhile I'll have a bowl of cereal. 

Just now, GeneticBlueprint said:

At least this thread about food was also originally about food.

Also congrats to everybody on 23 posts without referencing somebody's mom in a thread about milk.

I think we all just assumed milk comes from your mom and felt no need to mention it 

I'll say this once loud and clear because I've had these conversations at various companies I've worked at. If you don't like dairy milk or can't consume it because of intolerance that's fine and if you want to consume one of the plant based alternatives... cool. But THAT SHIT AIN'T MILK. You can't milk a fucking almond. You can't milk a fucking soybean. You can't milk rice. You can't milk oats. By no definition I've seen do any of these products qualify as "milk"  EDIT: As I said in another post Merriam Webster  has been co-opted.

milk

Definition of milk

(Entry 1 of 4)

1a: a fluid secreted by the mammary glands of females for the nourishment of their young
b(1): milk from an animal and especially a cow used as food by people
(2): a food product produced from seeds or fruit that resembles and is used similarly to cow's milkcoconut milksoy milk
2: a liquid resembling milk in appearance: such as
a: the latex of a plant
b: the contents of an unripe kernel of grain
3: LACTATIONcows in milk

milk

verb
milked; milking; milks

Definition of milk (Entry 2 of 4)

transitive verb

1a(1): to draw milk from the breasts or udder of
(2)obsolete : SUCKLE sense 2
b: to draw (milk) from the breast or udder
c: SUCKLE sense 1 used of domestic animals
2: to draw something from as if by milking: such as
a: to induce (a snake) to eject venom
b: to draw or coerce profit or advantage from illicitly or to an extreme degree : EXPLOITmilk the joke for all it's worth

So enjoy your milk flavored almond juice and Soybean drink. I don't buy as much dairy milk as I used to but when I do I usually buy 2%. I rarely buy or drink whole milk anymore.

• Confused 1