No. 1 milk company declares bankruptcy amid drop in demand

47 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'll say this once loud and clear because I've had these conversations at various companies I've worked at. If you don't like dairy milk or can't consume it because of intolerance that's fine and if you want to consume one of the plant based alternatives... cool. But THAT SHIT AIN'T MILK. You can't milk a fucking almond. You can't milk a fucking soybean. You can't milk rice. You can't milk oats. By no definition I've seen do any of these products qualify as "milk"  EDIT: As I said in another post Merriam Webster  has been co-opted.

So enjoy your milk flavored almond juice and Soybean drink. I don't buy as much dairy milk as I used to but when I do I usually buy 2%. I rarely buy or drink whole milk anymore.

WAH

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'll say this once loud and clear because I've had these conversations at various companies I've worked at. If you don't like dairy milk or can't consume it because of intolerance that's fine and if you want to consume one of the plant based alternatives... cool. But THAT SHIT AIN'T MILK. You can't milk a fucking almond. You can't milk a fucking soybean. You can't milk rice. You can't milk oats. By no definition I've seen do any of these products qualify as "milk"  EDIT: As I said in another post Merriam Webster  has been co-opted.

Like they said on the bombcast. It's a marketing term because "nut juice" just probably wouldn't sell.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Actually that's not a bad idea. Amazon shipping is reasonably priced. 

:thumbup:

Also I did a quick Google search and unfortunately the link to the image showing the product is dead but apparently there is at least one brand of lactose-free milk in Korea.

I agree that shit like Soy/Almond Milk isn't milk, but there really isn't a better name for them. I mean, they are supposed to be a milk-like alternative.  Like margarine isn't butter the same way these nut juices aren't milk. Really, it just needs a new name. Like, call it some random bullshit like Calimo. Almond Calimo, Soy Calimo, Oat Calimo. 

You guys taking lactaid pills or avoiding milk because you don’t want to take lactaid pills... just buy Lactaid brand milk. It’s milk with the digestive enzymes from lactaid pills already in it. The enzyme also works as a preservative and seems to lengthen the shelf life of the milk to ridiculous lengths (my current gallon’s expiration is mid January 2020).

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

You guys taking lactaid pills or avoiding milk because you don’t want to take lactaid pills... just buy Lactaid brand milk. It’s milk with the digestive enzymes from lactaid pills already in it. The enzyme also works as a preservative and seems to lengthen the shelf life of the milk to ridiculous lengths (my current gallon’s expiration is mid January 2020).

Yes I already buy the Lactaid brand milk for keeping at home, but there are other dairy products I may want to buy which don't have a lactose-free version, plus I want to be able to order whatever I want when at a restaurant or over someone else's place.

And I don't think it's the enzyme, I think it's pasteurized at a higher temperature. But yeah it also lasts forever even after being opened, which I love.

56 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yes I already buy the Lactaid brand milk for keeping at home, but there are other dairy products I may want to buy which don't have a lactose-free version, plus I want to be able to order whatever I want when at a restaurant or over someone else's place.

And I don't think it's the enzyme, I think it's pasteurized at a higher temperature. But yeah it also lasts forever even after being opened, which I love.

I was talking specifically and only about milk. :p 

I know Lactaid brand has expanded into cheeses and ice creams, but I never see them at stores, just the milk. For any type of cheese or the occasional ice cream/froyo I keep lactaid pills on hand.

I'm also on the lactose intolerance band wagon. It started to happen in my teens. I'm willing to suffer through ice cream and some cheese from time to time but pretty much gave up on milk when one bout hit me super hard at work one day. =/

The thing I find interesting in all of this is how little people know of the Land O Lakes brand, specially due to pop culture. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Jason said:

We buy the Lactaid brand for my son, but I can't stand the smell of it.   I swear it has a sour milk smell. My wife doesn't smell it though.

49 minutes ago, chakoo said:

The thing I find interesting in all of this is how little people know of the Land O Lakes brand, specially due to pop culture. 

I feel like I missed something cuz I don't know what Land O Lakes has to do with this. I mean, I know the brand but not the company behind it.  Anyways, it is the only brand of butter I have ever gotten. It was the brand my dad and grandma got too. I didn't have much butter growing up tho as my mom is a margarine person. Let me tell ya, actual butter on toast is far better than fucking margarine. 

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

I'm also on the lactose intolerance band wagon. It started to happen in my teens. I'm willing to suffer through ice cream and some cheese from time to time but pretty much gave up on milk when one bout hit me super hard at work one day. =/

spacer.png

The article doesnt even mention LOL. I had to google to figure out what you were saying. Poor LOL :(