~~ PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT! || Millions of Impeaches, Impeaches for Me || House Impeachment Hearings OT ~~

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

If the United States president from January 2017 to maybe January 2025 is the thing standing between this happening or not, the world had no chance to begin with. 

We stand a chance with the right president and Congress. For instance, on one extreme, the oil super majors and other fossil fuel companies could be nationalized and shut down in addition to a green New deal type of thing.

1 hour ago, Jwheel86 said:

How much is the Chief Justice bound by Senate rules during the trial? Roberts may not be thrilled about running a kangaroo court. 

Apparently he can literally just enforce the rules as written...which they're free to rewrite at any time.

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

So the Judiciary Committee has released a longer report on Impeachment which specifically accuses Trump of multiple federal crimes including bribery and wire fraud. It's 182 pages pages of new material, plus hundreds of pages of previously gathered or released materials.

And yet they don’t pass articles on those issues because the Dems are weak as a party and could only agree to the barest of charges.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

And yet they don’t pass articles on those issues because the Dems are weak as a party and could only agree to the barest of charges.

For better or worse House democrats believe and act as if they are in charge only of their majority in one chamber and not leading the national party. I definitely often complain that they aren't considering national politics or history enough with these decisions but even fully misplaced priorities isn't a sign of weakness.

19 hours ago, Anathema- said:

For better or worse House democrats believe and act as if they are in charge only of their majority in one chamber and not leading the national party. I definitely often complain that they aren't considering national politics or history enough with these decisions but even fully misplaced priorities isn't a sign of weakness.

To be clear, the weakness in this regard is the relationship of the various pieces of their coalition. The bonds aren’t strong, and so they have to go with these very narrow set of articles because they worry they will lose some of their more centrist members.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

To be clear, the weakness in this regard is the relationship of the various pieces of their coalition. The bonds aren’t strong, and so they have to go with these very narrow set of articles because they worry they will lose some of their more centrist members. 

Yeah, I mean, I don't necessarily find fault with what you're saying but even despite the fact that if I had my druthers that I'd be rapid fire shotgunning a new article to the Senate every month I'm still not convinced that a leaner path isn't better.

Many Democrats from swing districts won by Trump will vote for impeachment.

By early evening, 15 of the 31 Trump-district Democrats had committed to voting for impeachment, with only Jeff Van Drew of New Jersey, who is expected to switch to the Republican Party in the coming days, and Collin Peterson of Minnesota having indicated that they plan to vote no.

The pre-vote announcements have underscored several political dynamics at play for these Democrats: They won in 2018 after Trump campaigned against Democrats on the threat that they would impeach him. It's not clear yet just how big a role impeachment will play in their re-election bids. And there's a real risk that more voters would be lost than gained by crossing the partisan aisle.

For all of those reasons, it's not a long leap from "undecided" to "yes" on impeachment, even as House Republicans lobby some of those Democrats to vote "no."

3 hours ago, Jason said:

He brags about his electoral college victory then talks about the verdict of the ballot box and the will of the American people when he didn't win the verdict of the ballot box and the will of the American people have never actually been on his side. I like it when my President writes delusional unhinged bullshit.