Active shooter in El Paso at Walmart/Mall

55 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The sentence doesn’t give any indication of whether she thinks it is the only cause or there are many, but it only lists one cause so we only know of this single cause she believes based on the tweet. I do assume she knows there are other reasons, but wrote the tweet this way to emphasize the ridiculousness of the video game blame and elevate the motivation and link to Trump and the spineless GOP of white supremacy.

But you’re just wrong that the plain reading acknowledges more reasons, it matter of factor does not. Easiest way to verify that is if you did believe it was the only reason that sentence would reflect that even though it’s also a weak way to communicate that.

FWIW I think this kind of pedantry is a large part of what perpetuates the sterilization of politician-speak; it makes it seem as if the most important thing is to never say anything that could be misinterpreted,  but that flattens all the poetry and passion right out of our language. 

To say nothing of the fact that it seems like her mission is to reject responsibility for the bad faith of her political opponents...

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

Her exact words were, "Video games aren’t causing mass shootings, white supremacy is." There is nothing that needs to be assumed if you have a basic command of the English language (though noted prescriptivist @Kal-El814 would probably question that in this instance...) In fact, the assumption that she only believe there is one is the MUCH bigger assumption.

Thank you.

38 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Shit the NRA and Ronald Reagan actually were AGAINST the Black Panthers exercising their second amendment rights. There is indeed a connection to racism an how our gun laws are handled and implemented in this country.

Nothing in that Tweet would have you believe that she assumes White Supremacy is the ONLY cause of mass shootings. Just that White Supremacy is more of a cause than videogames ever could be. Also I like how the go to insult against AOC is to insult her intelligence. 

No, her exact words were:

Video games aren’t causing mass shootings, white supremacy is.

Sadly the GOP refuse to acknowledge that, bc their strategy relies on rallying a white supremacist base.

That‘s why the President hosts stadiums of people chanting “send her back”& targets Congress-members of color.

Lol. Everything about that comment excludes any other fault except "white supremacy". And she's an idiot because, among numerous other things, she has literally no clue what she's even talking about. In fact almost every single mass shooting in the last 37 years had nothing to do with white supremacy. Oh, but there was that one time so I guess they're all race motivated.

The fact that ya'll defend her is comical.

Saying "guns don't kill people, people kill people" doesn't mean that animals and lightning don't also kill people. AOC's quote isn't an absolute statement that precludes any other causes of mass shootings, it only points out that a common scapegoat is false, but something that the GOP is attached to is not false.

Only someone complicit/okay with white supremacy would argue with that.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Saying "guns don't kill people, people kill people" doesn't mean that animals and lightning don't also kill people. AOC's quote isn't an absolute statement that precludes any other causes of mass shootings, it only points out that a common scapegoat is false, but something that the GOP is attached to is not false.

Only someone complicit/okay with white supremacy would argue with that.

Or someone looking to create straw men to minimize the moral and logical weaknesses of their own positions.

41 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

FWIW I think this kind of pedantry is a large part of what perpetuates the sterilization of politician-speak; it makes it seem as if the most important thing is to never say anything that could be misinterpreted,  but that flattens all the poetry and passion right out of our language. 

My number one complaint about fiction books is the poetic language. Sterile and precise is my love language :p But I get your point :) 

1 hour ago, nublood said:

No, her exact words were:

Video games aren’t causing mass shootings, white supremacy is.

Sadly the GOP refuse to acknowledge that, bc their strategy relies on rallying a white supremacist base.

That‘s why the President hosts stadiums of people chanting “send her back”& targets Congress-members of color.

Lol. Everything about that comment excludes any other fault except "white supremacy". And she's an idiot because, among numerous other things, she has literally no clue what she's even talking about. In fact almost every single mass shooting in the last 37 years had nothing to do with white supremacy. Oh, but there was that one time so I guess they're all race motivated.

The fact that ya'll defend her is comical.

Retard

• Guillotine 1

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I’ve seen this sentiment expressed but generally without much definition. Are you meaning in terms of motivations for terrorist activity?

Let me be clear I really, really don't have any interest in getting into a pedantic argument with you, as I'm seeing your other posts, but I've read several articles and studies showing that hate crimes are on the rise and have been the last few years. Yes, it's a very serious threat. 

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Let me be clear I really, really don't have any interest in getting into a pedantic argument with you, as I'm seeing your other posts, but I've read several articles and studies showing that hate crimes are on the rise and have been the last few years. Yes, it's a very serious threat. 

I just asked what you mean when you said what you said, but you certainly are under no obligation to answer my question :) 

2 hours ago, 2user1cup said:

I actually didn't think it was... Trump word associates so when he thinks of Ohio, he naturally thinks "Toledo" regardless of what is right in front of him. Or maybe seeing Texas and Ohio in such close proximity to each other in that sentence read as "Toledo" to him. Either way at best it shows you how careless and irresponsible he is with his words. At worse it shows he just doesn't give a shit.

15 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I actually didn't think it was... Trump word associates so when he thinks of Ohio, he naturally thinks "Toledo" regardless of what is right in front of him. Or maybe seeing Texas and Ohio in such close proximity to each other in that sentence read as "Toledo" to him. Either way at best it shows you how careless and irresponsible he is with his words. At worse it shows he just doesn't give a shit.

I don’t think it explains and certainly doesn’t excuse his vile positions, but I do think the dude has some cognitive issues. Too many really odd verbal AND written gaffes over the last couple of years for there not be something wrong in the brain.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That wasn’t what my question was about, but I’m not going to ask it again because you said you aren’t interested in engaging in discussion soooo, weather is a bit hot, innit.

I mean, excuse me for misunderstanding your question, but it seemed pretty clear to me and I answered it. White supremacism is a very real threat and it's rising. Now it you want to be all pedantic, I guess I don't have a solid metric for what is indisputably the gravest threat facing the country right now, but that's what I meant when I said I don't care to get into another pedantic argument with you, much like your earlier exchange with Chris.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t think it explains and certainly doesn’t excuse his vile positions, but I do think the dude has some cognitive issues. Too many really odd verbal AND written gaffes over the last couple of years for there not be something wrong in the brain.

He has THE BEST BRAIN yo. But seriously, you can definitely see some deterioration with him. He was MUCH more coherent not that long ago. 

8 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I mean, excuse me for misunderstanding your question, but it seemed pretty clear to me and I answered it. White supremacism is a very real threat and it's rising. Now it you want to be all pedantic, I guess I don't have a solid metric for what is indisputably the gravest threat facing the country right now, but that's what I meant when I said I don't care to get into another pedantic argument with you, much like your earlier exchange with Chris.

Hate crimes are escalating, there is no disagreement there. That wasn’t what my question was about though :)

You said white supremacy is the far bigger threat domestically than anything else, and I was asking if you meant that in regards to motivations for terrorism. I assume that is what you mean, but I was curious if I misunderstood your statement. I wasn’t looking for links, I just wanted to know what you meant when you wrote that. And now we are some strange number of replies deep for I don’t even know why :lol:

Just now, sblfilms said:

Hate crimes are escalating, there is no disagreement there. That wasn’t what my question was about though :)

You said white supremacy is the far bigger threat domestically than anything else, and I was asking if you meant that in regards to motivations for terrorism. I assume that is what you mean, but I was curious if I misunderstood your statement. I wasn’t looking for links, I just wanted to know what you meant when you wrote that. And now we are some strange number of replies deep for I don’t even know why :lol:

I feel like it's because you keep picking and I'm trying to patiently answer without getting in to deep. I don't think it's a stretch to argue that far right terrorism is a bigger threat to this country than than other types of ideologically motivated attacks, such as Islamic extremism, far left extremism, ecoterrorism, etc. That's what I meant. Sorry for any confusion on your part.

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I’ve seen this sentiment expressed but generally without much definition. Are you meaning in terms of motivations for terrorist activity?

Asked

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I don't think it's a stretch to argue that far right terrorism is a bigger threat to this country than than other types of ideologically motivated attacks, such as Islamic extremism, far left extremism, ecoterrorism, etc. That's what I meant.

Answered

1 minute ago, Remarkableriots said:

Gun violence restraining orders, while often a deflection by conservatives who don’t want gun control measures passed, seems to actually be good policy. Would like to see them standardized in all states, instead of hoping cops will listen to family members.