Active shooter in El Paso at Walmart/Mall

This is breaking news, close to home (it was my home). Early reports are as many as 18 shot. For those who don’t know, that area is where all the Mexican tourists go to for shopping. 

My brother is a journalist there so I’ll post as I hear anything new.

edit - my brother is going live on the scene and he says it’s horrific. Not sure what to make of that.

edit 2 - confirmed multiple shooters 

2 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The police have not confirmed the presence of multiple gunmen, only that there are "reports" of multiple gunmen which are usually the case with all of these incidents.

Don’t have a source other than what KVIA reported on air just now, but multiple suspects arrested. I thought the same thing since every shooting has those reports from the echoes of the shots. We will know soon. 

4 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

School starts soon in TX and things like uniforms are required. I wonder how many people were there for back to school shopping this weekend.

It was Tax Free weekend. Outside of Black Friday, this is the busiest time of the year for Cielo Vista Mall (and of course the Walmart there).

• Shocked 2

13 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

So was the mall a gun free zone or was it filled with trigger happy Texans?

CNN had someone on as a witness and mentioned he had his gun with them and took it out to run kids out to safety. Remember being in Austin and seeing the Target store with signage saying to have all guns holstered and visible when entering the store. As a Canadian visiting the area, it was a bit shocking seeing that and assumed that it’s that way everywhere in Texas. 

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Did the others die in police custody or just escape?

If there was more than one, thy probably were killed. There’s footage of a dead person near the Walmart entrance which people were saying was a shooter, but that’s Twitter so fucking knows. 

A shooting at an El Paso Walmart forced a Texas congresswoman to abruptly cut short a Saturday town hall at a local high school.

Rep. Veronica Escobar, a freshman Democrat who represents El Paso, was roughly an hour into the town hall at the city's Coronado High School when it appeared she received news of the shooting.

After she answered a question about conditions for migrants at the southern border, two people walked to the front of the auditorium and removed the microphone from her hand.

The scene, captured on a live video feed on the congresswoman's Facebook page, shows a few seconds of inaudible speaking before Escobar again takes the microphone.

"You all, I am so sorry, there's an active shooter. We are going to need to clear the event," said Escobar. After an aide immediately tells her something, Escobar quickly clarified the incident was near Cielo Vista Mall, roughly 14 miles away.

"Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, I apologize," she told crowd. "Let's take a deep breath. So we've been asked by law enforcement to just send everybody home."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/08/03/el-paso-walmart-shooting-rep-veronica-escobar-town-hall-cut-short/1910338001/

28 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

So was the mall a gun free zone or was it filled with trigger happy Texans?

"No guns allowed" signs are enforced under criminal law in Texas.  If a sign is posted on the front door of a business, and you have a gun, you will be prosecuted under state law.  It's up to each business if they want to have a no gun policy though.

https://www.compliancesigns.com/media/PDF/QA-TX-Weapons.pdf

Link above is what the signs look like, and additional information on enforcement.  I do not know if this Walmart was posted as a gun free zone, but I doubt it. 

5 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I'm sure Trump supporters will do everything they can (and fail) to distance themselves from this incident.  But the facts are that his rhetoric is a prime motivator for mentally ill people like his.

I'm so goddamned sick and tired of the "mentally ill" garbage being trotted out in these events.

A person can be completely and totally rational and perpetuate an act like this.  It's conceptually no different than the very rational Nazis gathered at the Wannsee Conference to hammer out the logistics of the Holocaust.

Blaming mental illness is a convenient way for gun zealots to sweep it under the rug.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I'm so goddamned sick and tired of the "mentally ill" garbage being trotted out in these events.

A person can be completely and totally rational and perpetuate an act like this.  It's conceptually no different than the very rational Nazis gathered at the Wannsee Conference to hammer out the logistics of the Holocaust.

Blaming mental illness is a convenient way for gun zealots to sweep it under the rug.

Joke’s on you, the Wannsee Conference was a mental health awareness conference. 

4 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I don't mean "mentally ill" in the same frame of reference as someone who is experiencing mental illness, so it's a poor choice of words on my part.  There is something wrong with people who choose to do these things - whether it is a lack of morality, vengeance, little man syndrome, whatever - the point is something isn't working correctly in their minds to the point where they either don't realize the inherent evilness of their actions, or they think it is a right course of action. 

Wow. My wife is from a little town called Anthony which sits half in Texas and half in New Mexico, so a few of her cousins in the medical field have be called in to assist. Tired of these stories.