The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

On 1/26/2022 at 4:01 PM, GeneticBlueprint said:

Living abroad was eye opening for me in many ways. One of the biggest ways was that, despite being a long way from ideal, the United States is actually on the more enlightened end of the spectrum when it comes to views on race compared to a lot of places.

There's a discussion to be had there about overt and covert racism. In places like America, South Africa and Australia the racism tends to be more in your face

9 minutes ago, SimpleG said:
11530603_020122-ktrk-ewn-6pm-houston-doc
ABC13.COM

Dr. Malika Mitchell-Stewart was attempting to open an account and deposit a $16,000 check when employees denied her service and claimed the check was fake, according to the lawsuit.

While it certainly could be some racist thing...sounds like she has never opened an account with large deposits. There are many more safeguards put into place, especially with check fraud being such a major issue. I would also guess they didn't tell her the check was fake, but that they had to put a hold on it because check fraud is the issue that it is. Would be interested to hear a more detailed account from her on what exactly happened.

Like..."they asked my age" is a really strange issue to bring up because I have never opened a bank account where they don't ask for a DOB!

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

While it certainly could be some racist thing...sounds like she has never opened an account with large deposits. There are many more safeguards put into place, especially with check fraud being such a major issue. I would also guess they didn't tell her the check was fake, but that they had to put a hold on it because check fraud is the issue that it is. Would be interested to hear a more detailed account from her on what exactly happened.

Like..."they asked my age" is a really strange issue to bring up because I have never opened a bank account where they don't ask for a DOB!

Yea I waffled on posting this because my first thoughts are aligned with yours, but then what happened isnt out of the realm of possibility either. The DOB issue may have been issue where they have her ID in hand and then proceed to ask the question. I had a place once not only ask for my DOB but also to spell my last name while they were holding my DL in hand. Wouldnt have been issue for me but the teller didnt ask any of the folks ahead of me the same questions.

I tend to almost always side with the individual but I do think its fair that more info is brought to light.

10 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Yea I waffled on posting this because my first thoughts are aligned with yours, but then what happened isnt out of the realm of possibility either. The DOB issue may have been issue where they have her ID in hand and then proceed to ask the question. I had a place once not only ask for my DOB but also to spell my last name while they were holding my DL in hand. Wouldnt have been issue for me but the teller didnt ask any of the folks ahead of me the same questions.

I tend to almost always side with the individual but I do think its fair that more info is brought to light.

For sure, I never doubt that people are treated differently based on things like race, the story here is just so devoid of information that it could honestly run the gamut of overt racism to just a misunderstanding. That’s why I would like to hear more details from her about what happened as the broad details are not painting much of a picture. 

Either way, I’m guessing the bank staff didn’t handle it particularly well as I feel like most people are accepting of banking nonsense when they bother to explain policies clearly.

• 2 weeks later...

What better way to celebrate black history month than with black face?

14833939239-1080pnbcstations.jpg?quality
WWW.NBCBOSTON.COM

A Massachusetts Montessori school apologized and fired a teacher for instructing young children to make and wear Blackface masks as a Black History Month project. The incident, which...

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

What better way to celebrate black history month than with black face?

14833939239-1080pnbcstations.jpg?quality
WWW.NBCBOSTON.COM

A Massachusetts Montessori school apologized and fired a teacher for instructing young children to make and wear Blackface masks as a Black History Month project. The incident, which...

The most Newton story of all time.

• True 1

11567977_021522-wabc-kyle-teen-fight-vid
ABC7NY.COM

Two Bridgewater police officers break up the fight, separating the teens and pushing the white teen onto a couch. The Black teen, however, is pinned to the ground with an officer's knee on his back and handcuffed.

The police response to a fight at a New Jersey mall that went viral on social media is sparking outrage and has prompted an internal affairs investigation.

The video shows a crowd of students inside the Bridgewater Commons Mall over the weekend, with two of them -- a Black 8th-grader and a white high schooler -- in each other's faces and arguing.

They begin fighting, throwing punches and falling onto a couch and then the floor.

Two Bridgewater police officers break up the fight, separating the teens and pushing the white teen onto a couch.

The Black teen, however, is pinned to the ground with an officer's knee on his back and handcuffed.

Even the white kid knows that this was garbage:

AD4376634F4CCAD7CEDFE26E04CCA541.jpg?w=1
PIX11.COM

NEW JERSEY (PIX11) — It’s a scene repeated across the country: Teens fighting in a mall; in this case, last weekend at Bridgewater Commons in Somerset County, New Jersey. But what makes this …

"I knew it was wrong, and I knew there was gonna be problems when they did that," 15-year-old Joey, who was involved in the fight, said. "They didn't go for me."

Tuesday night, he told PIX11 News — with his mother's permission — that he couldn't believe he wasn't also placed in cuffs.

"I didn't understand why," the teen said. "I even offered to get handcuffed as well."

• Guillotine 1

Yeah, the presumption of fault and the way in which Black boys are treated like full grown men by police is undeniable. Not very many scenes paint the stark differential in treatment so clearly as this.

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I mean that’s awful but I’m really puzzled by the note. Like, are you trying to get arrested? Maybe banks in the us are different but I would assume most people would simply make that request by speaking quietly.  I’m sure racism is to blame but are people just really fucking dumb.  He’s a movie producer so I’m sure he’s seen movies.  My thoughts are never hand a teller a note.

37 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

I mean that’s awful but I’m really puzzled by the note. Like, are you trying to get arrested? Maybe banks in the us are different but I would assume most people would simply make that request by speaking quietly.  I’m sure racism is to blame but are people just really fucking dumb.  He’s a movie producer so I’m sure he’s seen movies.  My thoughts are never hand a teller a note.

Did you read this part?

“I’d like to be discreet,” he had written – the teller noticed that the large withdrawal had triggered a computer alert, and conveyed to her boss that the customer was attempting to rob the bank.

He was taking 12 Grand in cash out... I'm sure he didn't want anyone else in the bank to know he was carrying that kind of cash on his person which is why he wrote the note. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Did you read this part?

He was taking 12 Grand in cash out... I'm sure he didn't want anyone else in the bank to know he was carrying that kind of cash on his person which is why he wrote the note. 

Let's also ignore that they decided they were being robbed before even checking his account details. Like, they could have just loaded up his account and seen he had more than enough money to cover $12k.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Perhaps I'm being unintentionally dense, but I'm not so sure that this is an example of the (very real) issue of systemic racism. The person who misunderstood his wish for discretion as a robbery attempt is Black. She told others it was a robbery attempt and they believed her. If I'm mistaken in any of the details or in why this is actually an example of systemic racism, I'd like to learn. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Let's also ignore that they decided they were being robbed before even checking his account details. Like, they could have just loaded up his account and seen he had more than enough money to cover $12k.

Didn't ask for his I.D. or anything... Nope. Robbery :|

I'm not so sure that this is an example of the (very real) issue of systemic racism. The person who misunderstood his wish for discretion as a robbery attempt is Black. She told others it was a robbery attempt and they believed her. If I'm mistaken in any of the details or in why this is actually an example of systemic racism, I'd like to learn. 

That's why it's called systemic racism.  A system where black people are automatically viewed as being criminals even by other black people because this system has conditioned them to believe so. This woman was probably following her training for that job which led her to believe that this guy was robbing the bank when he was actually trying to withdraw his own money. It's all part of the same fucked up system.

Also every bank I've been to in my life has the tellers behind plexiglass. So if he passed her a note that contained NO THREATENING LANGUAGE and didn't state that he wanted to Rob the bank, didn't display or even imply he had a weapon, then how was this woman theatened? No he was a young black man taking a large amount of money (again, HIS fucking money) and it was automatically assumed that HE was robbing the bank :|

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Also every bank I've been to in my life has the tellers behind plexiglass. So if he passed her a note that contained NO THREATENING LANGUAGE and didn't state that he wanted to Rob the bank, didn't display or even imply he had a weapon, then how was this woman theatened? No he was a young black man taking a large amount of money (again, HIS fucking money) and it was automatically assumed that HE was robbing the bank :|

The part that is most interesting to me is that the teller was a Black woman. I wonder if this is like the stuff you hear about Black police officers often being the toughest with Black men as a means of proving themselves to their white colleagues.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Didn't ask for his I.D. or anything... Nope. Robbery :|

That's why it's called systemic racism.  A system where black people are automatically viewed as being criminals even by other black people because this system has conditioned them to believe so. This woman was probably following her training for that job which led her to believe that this guy was robbing the bank when he was actually trying to withdraw his own money. It's all part of the same fucked up system.

As I said, I'm in full agreement that systemic racism is a major problem, and I'm also not saying definitively that it isn't playing a role here. I'm just saying that I think it might be begging the question to assume so, because personally I don't feel like I have enough data to judge the situation fairly either way.  If you or anyone else feels they do, ok. 

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Did you read this part?

I did read it. I do believe it to be systemic racism. Regardless, I think passing a note to any bank teller will make them suspicious.  A note that starts with id like to be discreet would further raise suspicions. Than a huge amount of money doesn’t help. She should have just spoke with him but I’m saying it’s not the brightest thing to hand a teller a note imo 

25 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

I did read it. I do believe it to be systemic racism. Regardless, I think passing a note to any bank teller will make them suspicious.  A note that starts with id like to be discreet would further raise suspicions. Than a huge amount of money doesn’t help. She should have just spoke with him but I’m saying it’s not the brightest thing to hand a teller a note imo 

the note ended with "I'd like to be discreet".

acecb824221f4826a7d207e71d5a8e3e-md

It's not particularly ominous :p